New Project for Adventure Trailer

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

When I built our adventure trailer the power source for the 12volt gear is off grid "solar" which I have been happy with.

But here's the issue with solar, you need sun light to charge the battery or batteries, so during the late sp...ring thru summer months in early fall, here in Arkansas the Ozark's are in full foliage "tree's leaf'd out" so we Sally & I have to camp on ridge tops to get the sunlight for charging our battery. Late fall & early spring the Ozarks are in fall mode no leaves, so my solar system works well, even though some days are overcasted my battery is fully charged.

So I decided to build a portable 110 ac \ 12 volt dc converter box to charge our battery in months that the tree's are in full foliage. I built one for my bowfishing boat years ago & it works extremely well keeping 2 31 series 12v. deep cell batteries charged with my 2400watt inverter generator.

Power Max 55watt Converter: 3 STAGE CHARGING SYSTEM: provides an automatic charging system in three steps.
1.) A fast charge to bring a good, drained battery back up
to full voltage rapidly "Boost".
2.) A standard charge to bring the battery up to a full charge at a safe rate to prolong the life of the battery and provide power to run 12V lighting and appliances in the vehicle/device ("Normal")
3.) A trickle charge to keep the battery fresh during times of load inactivity ("Storage"). The charger automatically changes modes to accommodate changes in conditions.

012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

started with new tool box, 2 4" circular vents & 55watt Powermax 3 stage 110 to 12v Converter.
I still need to mount the converter to the tool box & run the 8 ga. cable & install the Anderson Connectors (which will plug in to a out on the tongue box of my adventure trailer which those leads will run to the battery. I also need to reroute the plug to the outside of the plastic tool box which will run to the generator.
003.JPG 002.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

almost finished this project I've been working on in the evenings for Sally & I's adventure overlanding trailer, portable 110 ac \ 12 volt dc converter box . I still have to install the heavy duty 100amp battery jump clamps Red & Black.

Material I have in this is: (1) plastic tool box, (1) Powermax 55watt Converter Charger, 10ft. 8ga. marine grade duplex boat cable tinned copper wire, (2) Anderson Connectors Quick Connect Battery Plugs for 8ga. wire, 2 lengths of single 8ga. cable wire, (2) 4" aluminum vents, solder & shrink tubing, black zip ties, pare of heavy duty 100amp battery jumper clamps Red & Black.

The nice thing about this set-up is small portable, Power Max 55watt Converter: 3 STAGE CHARGING SYSTEM: provides an automatic charging system in three steps.
2.) A standard charge to bring the battery up to a full charge at a safe rate to prolong the life of the battery and provide power to run 12V lighting and appliances in the vehicle/device ("Normal")
3.) A trickle charge to keep the battery fresh during times of load inactivity ("Storage"). The charger automatically changes modes to accommodate changes in conditions.

The reason why "I" didn't mount this converter in my tongue box: one, these converters do put out the heat, & the size of my tongue box is 2-3/4 cubic foot, so with all the electrical & the large battery I didn't want to add excessive heat to the battery & I hardly have the room.
006.JPG

002.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
almost finished this project I've been working on in the evenings for Sally & I's adventure overlanding trailer, portable 110 ac \ 12 volt dc converter box . I still have to install the heavy duty 800amp battery clamps Red & Black.

Material I have in this is: (1) plastic tool box, (1) Powermax 55watt Converter Charger, 10ft. 8ga. marine grade duplex boat cable tinned copper wire, (2) Anderson Connectors Quick Connect Battery Plugs for 8ga. wire, 2 lengths of single 8ga. cable wire, (2) 4" aluminum vents, solder & shrink tubing, black zip ties, pare of heavy duty 800amp battery clamps Red & Black.

The nice thing about this set-up is small portable, Power Max 55watt Converter: 3 STAGE CHARGING SYSTEM: provides an automatic charging system in three steps.

The reason why "I" didn't mount this converter in my tongue box: one, these converters do put out the heat, & the size of my tongue box is 2-3/4 cubic foot, so with all the electrical & the large battery I didn't want to add excessive heat to the battery & I hardly have the room.
View attachment 81515

View attachment 81512 View attachment 81513 View attachment 81514
Looks pretty nice, what size of trailer you running? Any photos?

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Looks pretty nice, what size of trailer you running? Any photos?
Solar: Renogy, 2 100watt portable suit case panels w\ branch connector to run both parallel or single panel, Renogy 30 amp Wanderer Charge Controller w\ Battery Temperature Sensor, 20ft 10 awg cable
Battery: VMax Tank 125ah AGM Battery
Suspension: Smooth Ride 3 leaf springs 1450lb. capacity w\ Monroe Shocks & 2000lb axle
Tires & Wheels: General Grabber AT II 215x75Rx15 & US Wheels 15"x 8" 4.5" on 5 lug (I media blasted & had powder coated satin black)
Tent: Smittybilt 2783 RTT w\ Exped Duo 10 Queen Size extra long extra wide self inflating mattress w\ CVT Anti Condensation Matt & Compact Camping Concept Shoe Hammock
Awning: Tuff Stuff 4x4 4.5ft x 6ft w\ Tuff Stuff 4x4 Sun Shade Wall
Paint: PPG Automotive, DP Epoxy Primer, Omni Base matched to Cerakote Coyote Tan, Concept Gloss w\flattener added.
Bedliner: Defender Pro, orange peel texture 10" up on the exterior tub, tongue box & face of fenders, heavy texture inside the bed & tailgate. (all sprayed)
Frame: modified reinforced Harbor Freight Super Duty w\custom fabricated tongue & spare tire mount. (all welded)
Body: Dinoot M Series M416 tub kit w\ CJ Jeep style tailgate w\hidden tailgate latches
Fenders: Jeep Style Aluminum length: 36" height: 18 1/4" width: 10" cut to size & scribed to fit, Defender Pro Bedliner sprayed on the faces.
Bed Floor: 3\16" Smooth Aluminum sand blasted w\ Defender Pro Bedliner sprayed inside, exterior underneath Automotive Undercoater sprayed
Tongue Box: Harbor Freight 2-3/4 cu. ft, 3 12v. outlets & 1 12v. rocker switch, Pro Defender Bedliner sprayed up 10" & painted to match trailer. Houses all electrical & solar system & charging system.
Heating: Proplex Heat Source H2000 Tent Furnace
Tent Rack: Compact Camping Concept "No Weld" Gusset's w\ 1 1\2" thick wall tubing, bolted & welded
Jacks: Pro Series Round 2000lb Pipe Mount Swivel Jack w/ Footplate side crank
Propane Bottle Mount: AT Overland Equipment 5lb Propane Cylinder Bracket painted to match the trailer.
Extra fuel Storage: fabricated plate w\ bracing for Smittybilt Jerry Can Mount & Scepter 5gal Jeep Can
Charging System: Noco Genius 10 amp Single Bank On Board Battery Charger
Tonneau Cover: Downey Products.
Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Jack Mount w\ 42" Bulldog Hi Lift Jack
45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg 005.JPG 004.JPG003.JPG 013.JPG

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

Don love your posts & all your great info. Looks like a sweet setup. Thanks so much for sharing.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

finished my converter box for my overland adventure trailer. The 100amp battery clamps came in. I had to take them apart so I can solder the connections.

This way I can have a 2nd source of charging the battery, the clamps go on the battery then plug into the converter box, you plug in the converter box cord plug to portable generator 2400 watt, with few hours the battery is fully charged. My 1st choice is solar, this will be used if the skies are serious overcast or camping under heavy tree foliage were we have a lack of sun.

The converter is a 3 STAGE CHARGING SYSTEM:

005.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: rgk401