First Name
Adam
Last Name
Chastain
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Hello NW Overlanders,

My name is Adam and I have been intrested in overlanding for awhile, but felt like I needed a bunch of fancy equipment. I have always been into camping, but I really grew tired of all the places that most people go to pay to camp. I realized that even though I don't have all the fancy overlanding equipment I do have enough camping gear and a 4 wheel drive truck. So I decided it is time to get out there and work with what I have for now. I live in the North Snohomish County area of Washington State. So if anyone can recommend places in that area that would be great for my first outting I would love to hear from you.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Hi Adam! Welcome! If anyone can make do with what they have its a Seabee. My husband is a bee, about to retire in a few weeks. We've been all over the state in our 6 years up here, feel free to message if you have any questions about adventure areas or what not. I commented on another thread last night somewhere in these regional forums with some suggestions for new ppl in the area. Get yourself a Benchmark road atlas and start driving the red dashed lines, they are the fun ones!

SeabeeVet

Rank IV

Advocate III

Freeport, Florida, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Chastain
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Hi Adam! Welcome! If anyone can make do with what they have its a Seabee. My husband is a bee, about to retire in a few weeks. We've been all over the state in our 6 years up here, feel free to message if you have any questions about adventure areas or what not. I commented on another thread last night somewhere in these regional forums with some suggestions for new ppl in the area. Get yourself a Benchmark road atlas and start driving the red dashed lines, they are the fun ones!
Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely get the Benchmark Road atlas so thanks for that suggestion. Thank you and your husband for your service (Navy wife is the toughes job in the Navy). What's your husbands rate? I got out as a BU1.

Reactions: MeliMK

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello NW Overlanders,

My name is Adam and I have been intrested in overlanding for awhile, but felt like I needed a bunch of fancy equipment. I have always been into camping, but I really grew tired of all the places that most people go to pay to camp. I realized that even though I don't have all the fancy overlanding equipment I do have enough camping gear and a 4 wheel drive truck. So I decided it is time to get out there and work with what I have for now. I live in the North Snohomish County area of Washington State. So if anyone can recommend places in that area that would be great for my first outting I would love to hear from you.
Hello Adam , Welcome to Overland Bound.

I am the Northwest Director. @Ubiety and @Gabriel Bozeman are your closest member representatives.

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).

Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.

Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.

Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.

Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.

Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.

Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.

Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Don't fall for the hype! While all the flashy gear is cool all you really need is a rig and some basic gear to get out on trips. I haven't been around your area much but I'm sure you could head east on Hwy 2 and find some good places to go. Download a good mapping app or get an atlas like stated above and start looking for places that interest you, then build yourself a route from there. I usually base camp and go on day trips from there so I like to look for places I haven't camped before then make a couple of 30-75 mile routes around camp in different directions. On the way to camp I scope out the general direction I made my different routes and I'll decide which ones I want to check out that weekend. Sometimes the route I plan is a bust, but sometimes I find some great places to camp for the next trip or some cool view points.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely get the Benchmark Road atlas so thanks for that suggestion. Thank you and your husband for your service (Navy wife is the toughes job in the Navy). What's your husbands rate? I got out as a BU1.
Thank you for your service. Oh my hubs is a cake eater! But he knows his way around tools & actual construction, so please don't hold that against him. We met when he was in Port Hueneme with NMCB 4. Maybe we'll see you out on the trails!

Reactions: SeabeeVet

SeabeeVet

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Chastain
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Don't fall for the hype! While all the flashy gear is cool all you really need is a rig and some basic gear to get out on trips. I haven't been around your area much but I'm sure you could head east on Hwy 2 and find some good places to go. Download a good mapping app or get an atlas like stated above and start looking for places that interest you, then build yourself a route from there. I usually base camp and go on day trips from there so I like to look for places I haven't camped before then make a couple of 30-75 mile routes around camp in different directions. On the way to camp I scope out the general direction I made my different routes and I'll decide which ones I want to check out that weekend. Sometimes the route I plan is a bust, but sometimes I find some great places to camp for the next trip or some cool view points.
Thank you for your Response. I am thinking of doing section 3 of the WA BDR.

Reactions: BroncoNana

SeabeeVet

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Chastain
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Hello Adam , Welcome to Overland Bound.

I am the Northwest Director. @Ubiety and @Gabriel Bozeman are your closest member representatives.

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).

Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.

Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.

Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.

Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.

Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.

Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.

Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound
Mike, Thank you so much for all this great information.

Reactions: M Rose