New Member from Oklahoma City

• HTML tutorial

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

Just joined up today #9383! I'm Sloan and I have a 2001 Jeep TJ that I bought last year and subsequently spent the next few months making more reliable and capable. After getting caught up on about 70k miles of differed maintenance, chasing down various false gremlins, and ultimately replacing the transmission, I was finally able to start installing some off road parts. I'm running a 3" teraflex lift and 33" Bfg AT tires on the stock axles and am pretty happy with it. I drove the jeep out to Moab last spring and had a blast running some easy-moderate trails.

Since then my Jeep has been seeing way too much pavement and too little dirt. I'd like to get more involved in the overlanding community to learn more about the trail options in my area, improve my skills, and most importantly have a good time with like minded individuals.

Attachments

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Just joined up today #9383! I'm Sloan and I have a 2001 Jeep TJ that I bought last year and subsequently spent the next few months making more reliable and capable. After getting caught up on about 70k miles of differed maintenance, chasing down various false gremlins, and ultimately replacing the transmission, I was finally able to start installing some off road parts. I'm running a 3" teraflex lift and 33" Bfg AT tires on the stock axles and am pretty happy with it. I drove the jeep out to Moab last spring and had a blast running some easy-moderate trails.

Since then my Jeep has been seeing way too much pavement and too little dirt. I'd like to get more involved in the overlanding community to learn more about the trail options in my area, improve my skills, and most importantly have a good time with like minded individuals.
Hi Sloan and welcome to OB! Nice looking TJ! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: 4.0LitersToFreedom

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello Sloan and welcome to the OB crew..nice looking jeep and look forward to seeing your adventures

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877

Welcome to OB 4.0! Great looking rig. It's amazing how similar our journeys have been.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Very cool. Do you have a build thread on here?
No I was going to wait until it was done and then put it all together.
The steering is a must because it's got a lot of bump steer. If I had to repair/replace might as well upgrade. I also added a track bar brace to stiffen up the frame and support the track bar.
The fenders on it now are a little rusted on top so the tube fenders were cheaper that replacing with oem fenders. This leads to deleting the current turn signals and replacing with LED's.
The differentials had to be serviced so I replaced them with Ruff Stuff Specialties 3/8 diff covers.
Basically everything I've done had to be repaired so I just upgraded.
trackbar2.jpg

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

No I was going to wait until it was done and then put it all together.
The steering is a must because it's got a lot of bump steer. If I had to repair/replace might as well upgrade. I also added a track bar brace to stiffen up the frame and support the track bar.
The fenders on it now are a little rusted on top so the tube fenders were cheaper that replacing with oem fenders. This leads to deleting the current turn signals and replacing with LED's.
The differentials had to be serviced so I replaced them with Ruff Stuff Specialties 3/8 diff covers.
Basically everything I've done had to be repaired so I just upgraded.
View attachment 40206
I'd like to get one of those Currie heavy duty tie rod/drag link sets, but the factory set seems to be holding up ok. I've never seen a track bar brace like that. Are you still running the factory track bar? I bought a JKS adjustable track bar and it's super beefy and cured my death wobble, can't recommend it enough. Have you replaced the steering stabilizer shock? Also, how confident are you in your alignment?

Reactions: Overland USA

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I'd like to get one of those Currie heavy duty tie rod/drag link sets, but the factory set seems to be holding up ok. I've never seen a track bar brace like that. Are you still running the factory track bar? I bought a JKS adjustable track bar and it's super beefy and cured my death wobble, can't recommend it enough. Have you replaced the steering stabilizer shock? Also, how confident are you in your alignment?
The track bar brace came with a heavy duty track bar. This brace is usually used on XJ's but my TJ had a funky track bar brace that was broken. see pic below.
Once the 1 ton steering ( above the knuckle) is installed I'm having the alignment done.
20170906_085809.jpg 20170906_085817.jpg

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Welcome to the OB family![emoji1366] Have you talked to the guys at Offroad Addiction in Edmond they have regular trail runs on your side of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

Welcome to the OB family![emoji1366] Have you talked to the guys at Offroad Addiction in Edmond they have regular trail runs on your side of the state.

I was just in there last week actually. Dodnt have a chance to talk trails, they were really busy. Looks like their business is taking off, which I'm glad to see. I'll try to get the scoop on trail rides next time I'm in there.

Reactions: Iwata77

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

I was just in there last week actually. Dodnt have a chance to talk trails, they were really busy. Looks like their business is taking off, which I'm glad to see. I'll try to get the scoop on trail rides next time I'm in there.
They’re good guys. I’ve done a couple of runs with them at Disney, but nothing in their area yet.