New Member #3423

• HTML tutorial

T4RGuy026

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bayport, NY
Member #

Hey guys, new overlanding fan here, pretty much a novice when it comes to being an overlander but I'm an avid offroader. Ive had a couple of jeeps I've outfitted for adventure. More recently I've been lurking on the forums for a little bit and decided i want to share my adventures and read about other peoples to motivate myself to get out there and explorer.

My rig is a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Its been lifted, larger tires, and some lighting, roof rack and ladder as well as a CB Radio.

I Previously had a Wrangler and loved it but i just got into the Cherokee Scene and I'm anxious to test the limits of the new rig.

CM_USMC707

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Healdsburg, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Meza
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
all badged up ready to go!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Welcome! I just joined yesterday too.. I have a KL Latitude that I'm going to do a couple small mods to, nothing crazy though as it's my daily as well..

Just bought the hazard sky lift today, and will probably put bigger tires on it in the future once I wear out the stock firestones..

Reactions: T4RGuy026

T4RGuy026

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bayport, NY
Member #

Yea Hazardsky Lift all the way man, this jeep is my daily haha. All in all though the off-road gear didn't kill the performance, it's still quiet inside but since I got the larger KO2's and a roof rack,ladder etc I took a huge hit in MPG but I wanted the rig off-road ready. I was steadily getting like 18MPG around town, it dropped down to 14.4 :( but what can you do. On the HWY I'm unsure.

CM_USMC707

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Healdsburg, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Meza
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Yea Hazardsky Lift all the way man, this jeep is my daily haha. All in all though the off-road gear didn't kill the performance, it's still quiet inside but since I got the larger KO2's and a roof rack,ladder etc I took a huge hit in MPG but I wanted the rig off-road ready. I was steadily getting like 18MPG around town, it dropped down to 14.4 :( but what can you do. On the HWY I'm unsure.

OUCH! That is a big hit, especially for a daily. I'll likely be trying to make my ride easy to convert from daily mode to weekend mode so that I won't kill MPG.

I probably won't be going as hardcore as you anyway, I only have AD1, so mine won't be so heavily fitted regardless.

I take it you are running the hazard sky setup?

Either way, looking forward to tracking your build and your adventures!

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK

That's a sweet rig! We have a '14 KL. Just waiting on the stock suspension to wear out before adding the lift. We mostly take the XK out out camping but I love driving the Trailhawk. It handles great and is actually very capable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

T4RGuy026

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bayport, NY
Member #

No unfortunately the Wrangler had more cargo space, but it was underpowered, and slow and had a rougher ride. It also got lethargic to drive for long periods with the underpowered motor. The Cherokee is so much more comfortable and has more power then my wrangler.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
No unfortunately the Wrangler had more cargo space, but it was underpowered, and slow and had a rougher ride. It also got lethargic to drive for long periods with the underpowered motor. The Cherokee is so much more comfortable and has more power then my wrangler.
The KL has a higher tow rating too. We've been able to pull the Hiker trailer around with it no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

CM_USMC707

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Healdsburg, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Meza
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Have you found the rear ladder to be useful for your needs? I'm considering getting one more for an attachment point for tools, fuel, etc. more so than I would use it as an actual ladder..

Your insight is appreciated

CM_USMC707

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Healdsburg, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Meza
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Have you found the rear ladder to be useful for your needs? I'm considering getting one more for an attachment point for tools, fuel, etc. more so than I would use it as an actual ladder..

T4RGuy026

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bayport, NY
Member #

Yes I have, I've actually already mounted my CB to it and it's working out great so far. I also want to mount some water or fuel but the only issue is I don't have the power lift gate so the extra weight of the ladder makes the liftgate a little heavier so I need to purchase the GOBI struts they make for it as they are able to handle the extra weight of the added things. I think they run about $80 and of course I need 2 of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CM_USMC707