chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
If you are considering an overland style build that will add a lot of weight (roof rack, RTT, bumpers, skids, etc.) and plan to have a fairly heavy payload as well (fridge, camping gear, etc.), then I would seriously consider the Outback Overland setup from TeraFlex over the other kits. At least for the springs.

I had a hybrid TeraFlex/MetalCloak suspension that worked really well and had a lot of travel on my 2 door JK Rubicon. However, as I started to build more for overland trips, the MC springs just didn't cut it. I lost most of my lift and didn't even have my gear in it yet. Fully loaded, the ride was horrible. I spoke to MetalCloak at length and they were no help. I spoke to ARB/OME and they very helpful, but the solution they had would have given too much lift for the weight I was solving for. I then talked to TeraFlex about their springs, got some great advice on my setup, and a recommendation on their 3" Outback springs for the rear. This solution has been excellent, no sag, my lift height was restored, and the ride improved tremendously. Pics - Difference in springs - you can see the bump-stop difference below. The MC spring is a dual rate spring and should collapse the top part of the coil. However, once I had it loaded with gear, they sagged to just about only 3 coils of travel and with the softer spring rate, I was bottoming out fairly often.

Good luck with the build, I hope this helps, or at least gives you something to think about.

qecVGG4USi2SKtRci6T9uQ.jpgU9qUdOwqRKicYcGDwuOxyg.jpgjOv39M2+RfCteUTvKvQfQw.jpg

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Thanks for the recommendation. I am building Annie pretty well the same as my last JK U. I am putting the 2" teraflex lift on it, falcon 3.1 adjustable shocks, JKS sway connect spring swaybar links, griffin attenuator and teraflex steering stabilizer. 285s on some sort of rim is all the tire I need. Works great for our travels around here. As for heavy bumpers, I live in a massive rust belt, so I am adding a teraflex rear tailgate re-inforcement, and the max-3 front grill guard and light mount up front as well as the VDP full width bumper caps. Plastic is fine for me. lightweight and rust free. Oh, also I am adding airlift 1000s to the rear to compensate for heavy loads and trailer towing. When I was looking at jeeps I was thinking 3" of total lift and 37s using mopars high clearance fenders, but after came to my senses and said NAH. that opens a million cans of worms I do not want to touch. Annie only as a 3.21 rear end so 33" tires will be fine to spin but anything much more and I will have to regear. There is lots more we are adding as well, but most besides the teraflex nebo rack and their interior cargo tray are very lightweight items as well.

Reactions: chris_nc