Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Hodgson
Member #

Hey everyone!

Name’s Nick. I’m from San Francisco, drive a ’95 FZJ80 and have been dying to find an overlanding community as approachable as this seems! I’ll give you some insight into my story below!

CAA1DF3E-D6AE-4BA0-A4D8-417C1B609A1F.jpeg
110406B1-1716-4BD3-81B8-63EE709CEF1E.jpeg

I inherited my first tacoma after college from my dad. He didn’t like the access cab and ended up getting an F150. It was a 2015 TRD Off Road. Amazing. All I did to that in the 4 years I had it was put some duratracs on it for the New England snow and the dirt roads of California when I moved out here. All I really knew about off reading was in relation to rallying (I’m a huge Subaru rally fan), so the expedition truck world was just as exciting to me.

7031283C-CB79-4BDD-9A36-B9945686E601.jpeg

I kept the 2nd gen until February 2020. Then COVID hit. I was kicking myself I didn’t keep that truck to use as an escape pod. All it needed was a camper shell and I could explore. Anyways, fast forward to May 2020, I pulled the trigger on a 2020 TRD Off Road Manual. It was time to start my first build.

C25322DB-2217-4D2F-89CF-1568158AC66F.jpeg

I started this build in preparation to drive down to Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. I started with tires and a small lift and a camper shell to start, but as we all know with these things, the bug bit and I dove in to a full build. Now it has a 5.29 re-gear, 35’s and a camper. 2 months later, I bought a 1995 FZJ80, my dream rig.

So the bug bit, here I am, and I’m excited to get get to know more of you (but not buy any more cars).

The 2020 Tacoma is up for sale by the way, so let me know if you are at all interested.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and if you ever see the VIBEWGN FZJ80 around NorCal, give me a wave!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone!

Name’s Nick. I’m from San Francisco, drive a ’95 FZJ80 and have been dying to find an overlanding community as approachable as this seems! I’ll give you some insight into my story below!

View attachment 213108
View attachment 213109

I inherited my first tacoma after college from my dad. He didn’t like the access cab and ended up getting an F150. It was a 2015 TRD Off Road. Amazing. All I did to that in the 4 years I had it was put some duratracs on it for the New England snow and the dirt roads of California when I moved out here. All I really knew about off reading was in relation to rallying (I’m a huge Subaru rally fan), so the expedition truck world was just as exciting to me.

View attachment 213110

I kept the 2nd gen until February 2020. Then COVID hit. I was kicking myself I didn’t keep that truck to use as an escape pod. All it needed was a camper shell and I could explore. Anyways, fast forward to May 2020, I pulled the trigger on a 2020 TRD Off Road Manual. It was time to start my first build.

View attachment 213112

I started this build in preparation to drive down to Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. I started with tires and a small lift and a camper shell to start, but as we all know with these things, the bug bit and I dove in to a full build. Now it has a 5.29 re-gear, 35’s and a camper. 2 months later, I bought a 1995 FZJ80, my dream rig.

So the bug bit, here I am, and I’m excited to get get to know more of you (but not buy any more cars).

The 2020 Tacoma is up for sale by the way, so let me know if you are at all interested.

Looking forward to meeting all of you, and if you ever see the VIBEWGN FZJ80 around NorCal, give me a wave!
Nick,
In addition to the links I gave you earlier, here is a local meet-up you might be interested in.
Tri-Valley Livermore CA, organized by @PapaDave
US West - East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA

Reactions: Narbob and Hodge

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Nick, welcome to the OB family.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey everyone!

View attachment 213108
View attachment 213109

View attachment 213110

View attachment 213112

Hey Nick

I’m replying here as well as the new member forum page. I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The East Bay meet up has had a great 2021 so far and still more to go. You can see the plan under the second post in our thread.

Below is a link to the meet up page and thread with information.

This is the regular meet up info:

US West - East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! Hang out for 2 hours discussing overlanding, looking at rigs, and planning trips! See this month’s plan US West - East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA View Rally Point
www.overlandbound.com

Reactions: Narbob and Hodge