Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Hello y’all. Been throwing all my efforts to get my 2014 Tacoma ready to hit the trail. Still a couple more big mods to make before we get on the road south and then west til we hit the Pacific. From there, who knows. Would love to plan a Georgia Traverse trip in the future. Anyone interested?

Attachments

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Hi Jack, I've been wanting to make that trip for a while. I'm going to the Tents and Tires event in GA on New Years. If your going, it would be a good time to make a plan. Let me know what you think. Bruce

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello y’all. Been throwing all my efforts to get my 2014 Tacoma ready to hit the trail. Still a couple more big mods to make before we get on the road south and then west til we hit the Pacific. From there, who knows. Would love to plan a Georgia Traverse trip in the future. Anyone interested?
Welcome Jack! Great rig!

Reactions: OldManJack

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Hi Jack, I've been wanting to make that trip for a while. I'm going to the Tents and Tires event in GA on New Years. If your going, it would be a good time to make a plan. Let me know what you think. Bruce
Hi Bruce, Thanks for letting me know; I was not aware of this event so close to my home. I just started watching the thread here on OB, thanks. This would be my first OB event, so my question is, what are the objectives of this event? Is just a grip and grin event?; talk about Overlanding; vendors; eating and just sharing stories? Hitting a trail together? Any insight you can provide would me much appreciated.

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Hi Jack, It is mostly a meet and greet. I went last year, there were a few vendors and a short trail ride. They had a really good turnout and weather permitting I expect a larger turnout this year. Saw some nice rigs and met some great people. Good place to network and trip plan.

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Hi Jack, It is mostly a meet and greet. I went last year, there were a few vendors and a short trail ride. They had a really good turnout and weather permitting I expect a larger turnout this year. Saw some nice rigs and met some great people. Good place to network and trip plan.
Good deal; thanks Bruce. My wife and I are planning to attend. Look forward to meeting you.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Nice rig, looks great.

Stucko_

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stuckman
Member #

Sweet rig man!

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Nice rig, looks great.
Thanks! Still working on it. It’s not cheap, but fun.

Reactions: freak4life

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Sweet rig man!
Thanks man!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

“Still a couple more big mods to make before we get on the road.” Really? That looks more (WAY more) than adequate to me to hit the road yesterday! Are you planning an around the world trip or something?

I’ve done about 80% of the GT in a stock TRD 4Runner. Had zero issues so far. I hope to finish it up later when Tray Mountain reopens and I have time. I think that’s the only technical part over which I may have issues or may have to turn around.

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
We moved to Georgia last December then have been busy with renovating our home and building a garage. We're finally at a "stopping point" after 30 years in the military and raising 5 kids. We could have gone yesterday, but we will soon enough. Actually, my wife and I are wanting to go all across the US this next year, Lord willing. We want to be on the road for 1 week trips beginning in January and then in May, we'll be gone for several month long trips out west. Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Utah, NM and as many states as the good Lord allows us. So, between now and then I'll be working on some things to get it where I want it to be. Today I was working on our tent heater. Just a few more wiring connections to make and it will be ready for a test.

I would like to talk with you about the GT. What are the technical issues your concerned about? I definitely want to do the GT. What time of the year do you recommend?

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
We moved to Georgia last December then have been busy with renovating our home and building a garage. We're finally at a "stopping point" after 30 years in the military and raising 5 kids. We could have gone yesterday, but we will soon enough. Actually, my wife and I are wanting to go all across the US this next year, Lord willing. We want to be on the road for 1 week trips beginning in January and then in May, we'll be gone for several month long trips out west. Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Utah, NM and as many states as the good Lord allows us. So, between now and then I'll be working on some things to get it where I want it to be. Today I was working on our tent heater. Just a few more wiring connections to make and it will be ready for a test.

I would like to talk with you about the GT. What are the technical issues your concerned about? I definitely want to do the GT. What time of the year do you recommend?
Hello Jack, welcome to Overland Bound. Thanks for your service I appreciate that very much.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

The GT has been over several different trips in different times of the year. Even did part of the western loop when there was still snow on the ground in parts. The technical part I am referencing is Tray Mountain. From the videos I’ve seen, there is one section that’s pretty steep and has a big rock/step to traverse. I recall that section being closed a good bit this year. I haven’t checked the FS web site to see if it’s back open yet. I do think some sections of the GT close in the winter. Sure is a pretty place, though. I’m planning to retire up that way - but have a few years to go.

Update: I just checked and that section is still closed…
04E51404-0A6F-40B4-AD3D-CC3FBFA3C8CB.jpeg

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

We did the GT in may and tray mountain was closed then.
Other than that, I believe the only other technical part is the creek west of Clayton (Charlie’s Creek?). I’ve done everything east of Clayton and west of Helen and don’t recall any challenges. It’s just pretty much dirt or gravel FS roads. Still, very scenic!!

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Good looking rig Jack! Congrats on your retirement. See you around the trails.