Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Let's all do some camping. There weren't a lot of responses to the poll posted in the original exploratory thread, but of the responses I saw, it was overwhelmingly in favor of a relaxed weekend camp situation with nothing specifically planned. A time for folks to explore any way they choose and have a base camp to come back to in the evening seemed to be the ideal situation for this first large gathering.

So, keeping that in mind, I tried to find a location that would be large enough to accommodate, and still be in the heart of adventure. The location selected is fairly central (perhaps a bit north for some) but is pretty easily reached via interstate. I was going to post up a bunch of locations but decided to just keep it simple this time around. There will be more camp outs and the goal will be to hit as many varied locations in New England as possible.

So, and I know you are all probably getting annoyed with my excessive use of polling, we have another poll. Pay close attention to this one. You will find dates. All date ranges are for Friday arrival and Sunday Departure. YOU CAN AND ARE ENCOURAGED TO VOTE FOR ALL DATES YOU CAN ATTEND. Voting for a weekend or weekends is not a commitment to attend. We will do a more formal sign up later on. For now, I am looking to figure out the highest turnout possible.

Barnes Field Campground:
This is prime real estate located in the heart of the White Mountains of NH with quick access to the Presidential Mountains including Mt. Washington (and yes, the auto road should still be open). There is loads of hiking, biking, and exploring in this area. Cost is dependent on how many people and vehicles are present. View campground in Google Maps

Stay tuned, subscribe to this thread, because as time goes on there will be more and more details about this event released.

Note: depending on unforeseen factors, the site location could change during the planning process. Though once reserved it will be locked in.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hello Chris,

Thank you so much for posting this, I just watched the thread with e-mail notifications. I love your idea and I am really open to anything. I would be me, my brother, and his wife (@Butler419). I will vote for all dates, as I am pretty open during that time with no travel back west planned.

Regards, David

Reactions: Matt_Whitman

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm good with all dates. Should be awesome. FYI. Not many class 6 roads up there. None in White Mountain National Forest.
That was one of my concerns, but lot's of driving didn't seem to be a major interest noted in the original thread discussing and I wanted to try to centralize this location the best I could. That doesn't mean the location can't or wont change. And there are class VI roads located within an hour of the current campsite. I mostly want to get some dates nailed down with a somewhat firm location so we can get on the calendar.

Scott.Coco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mansfield, PA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Cocolin
Member #

Sounds like a great plan. FYI October 9 is Columbus Day so usually banks and government offices are closed with some schools closed as well, so that could technically turn into a 4th day for some.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I put in all 3 and will keep this in mind. Will look into that camp. Any particular draw to that camp or is it just location? Anyways I had to laugh after I read the part about a group ride up MT Washinghell...I mean Washington. Been there , done that and it was great but not going up it again! lol She was almost in my lap going up ! haha
This sounds like a great weekend and you can most likely count us in. Also are these dates to catch foliage, is that why not doing it until fall? Maybe a summer warmup weekend on a lake somewhere would be kool too :sunglasses:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I put in all 3 and will keep this in mind. Will look into that camp. Any particular draw to that camp or is it just location? Anyways I had to laugh after I read the part about a group ride up MT Washinghell...I mean Washington. Been there , done that and it was great but not going up it again! lol She was almost in my lap going up ! haha
This sounds like a great weekend and you can most likely count us in. Also are these dates to catch foliage, is that why not doing it until fall? Maybe a summer warmup weekend on a lake somewhere would be kool too :sunglasses:
Haha, yeah I guess the road can be a little close to the edge in spots. It's possible to catch some foliage but those dates are probably a couple weeks early for peak leaf peeping. The main purpose for choosing that time of year is summer is when most of the bigger things happen and most folks either have plans already or will have major travel plans come up shortly. I'm certainly not opposed to having this thing earlier in fall are even late summer if there is interest for that. That location is a beautiful spot. If we want to move it further south a bit I'm fine with that. We need to make sure we can accommodate a large group.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Glenn

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I added an option to the poll. There is no reason, if there is interest, why we can't do something during the warmer months. Or even do both summer and fall, for that matter. Like I said before, summer is often tough for these types of things because people are often already busy. It's tough to get great attendance on these first time events because people don't really know each other yet. But that is why I am trying to launch New England monthly meet ups. If you haven't seen that thread, head over to the Meet Ups forum and check it out. My goal, and it's an ambitious one, is to take this community beyond the forums. I want to meet as many of you face to face.

Anyway, that was a lot of rambling and from someone none of you know who doesn't even live in your area yet. haha. Long story short, we are in planning stages and everything is still quite flexible. Though we will be nailing down and firming up details in the coming weeks/months.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Sounds good Chris anytime of the year. It is a beautiful area. We are up in NH a lot between just wheeling and a week that we stay in N Conway at a timeshare each year. Will keep this in mind...sounds like a good time.

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

Greenhorn here so any kind of meet big or small am down with. Last year I drove 3 1/2 hours to Portsmouth for a meet with mountain state overland from Virginia then drove 3 1/2 hours back to my home in Cambridge New York. Am already locked in to expo west so even if we do a single day meet it would be fun to meet some new people and pick up tips from more experienced overlanders.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

So I changed our vote to...5) Yeah tomorrow, next week, next month or anytime in the future sounds kool to us for a Friday, Saturday nite and pull out on Sunday Get Together. Wait...was that an option? #5 ...lol