Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Does anyone know anything about a Cooper discoverer AT3 XLT. I stumbled upon it on amazon. Tried researching it and it's as if it doesn't exist. Posted date on Amazon shows 5/10/18. It looks great , hope it's something new. I emailed Cooper this morning , no response as of yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

That’s interesting yet still a mystery. I cannot find it anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'm hoping it comes out soon , I'm trying to get off these km2's. I have had great experiences with the at3's on my xjs in the past. These just look more agressive.

Justin D.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Waddell, AZ
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

While I have never heard of these Coopers before, I do have experience running quite a few sets of Cooper tires before, and I have yet to have a positive experience with any set. Ride quality was OK but they lost tread very quickly and caused me to hydroplane multiple times on rainy roads. I upgraded to Michelin all terrains and the ride quality was absolutely fantastic, but again the soft compound got torn up when I tried doing any real offroading in them and struggled in even the lightest snow (they were even the LTX All Terrain tires). I'm on Toyo's now and I have sacrificed some ride quality, but their durability and traction on different terrains has been absolutely fantastic for me thus far.

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

While I have never heard of these Coopers before, I do have experience running quite a few sets of Cooper tires before, and I have yet to have a positive experience with any set. Ride quality was OK but they lost tread very quickly and caused me to hydroplane multiple times on rainy roads. I upgraded to Michelin all terrains and the ride quality was absolutely fantastic, but again the soft compound got torn up when I tried doing any real offroading in them and struggled in even the lightest snow (they were even the LTX All Terrain tires). I'm on Toyo's now and I have sacrificed some ride quality, but their durability and traction on different terrains has been absolutely fantastic for me thus far.
It's unfortunate that the experience you have had with Cooper's has been that bad. My at3s have always been quiet , well mannered in weather and reliable. Cooper pricing is also hard to beat. I would give a different tire from Cooper a go if I was you. May have just been bad luck.

Reactions: noah.wass

Justin D.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Waddell, AZ
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It's unfortunate that the experience you have had with Cooper's has been that bad. My at3s have always been quiet , well mannered in weather and reliable. Cooper pricing is also hard to beat. I would give a different tire from Cooper a go if I was you. May have just been bad luck.

In the four or so sets I have used so far on three different vehicles, my experiences were just poor enough that I really don't even throw their name into consideration anymore. But thats just my experience. I'm glad they have been working out for you though!

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Does anyone know anything about a Cooper discoverer AT3 XLT. I stumbled upon it on amazon. Tried researching it and it's as if it doesn't exist. Posted date on Amazon shows 5/10/18. It looks great , hope it's something new. I emailed Cooper this morning , no response as of yet.

Well I found the answer to my question and as I suspected , Amazon spilled the beans early.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/729925/cooper-unveils-discoverer-at3-tire-line

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Interesting and excellent find! I've had the AT3, ATP, ST and now running ST Maxx. All tires lasted well above 50k miles, handled great in the Tucson desert and PNW conditions and the states in between when traveling. Looking forward hearing about these

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Now i’m contemplating betweeen waiting for pricing on the XLT or getting the Falken Wildpeak AT3

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

Interesting and excellent find! I've had the AT3, ATP, ST and now running ST Maxx. All tires lasted well above 50k miles, handled great in the Tucson desert and PNW conditions and the states in between when traveling. Looking forward hearing about these
I've been thinking about the ST Maxx for my Fj. Would you recommend them ?

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I've been thinking about the ST Maxx for my Fj. Would you recommend them ?
I would wait for the xlt if I was you my other at3s have been amazing, although not lookers. The xlt seems to solve that issue and with Cooper's very reasonable pricing I think they will be the tire to beat.

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Good to know, any idea as to when they may be out ?
Looks like they already got them on the shelves , tire-easy.com has them. The 285 series in 17 is @ $218 a tire! Great deal in my mind. About to buy a set myself.

Reactions: Hawkeye #1

Airjammer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thinking out loud here. Feel free to comment.

My 17' Taco is set up suspension - wise with OME at all 4 corners / still rolling on my GY Wrangler AT kevlar 265/70/16

I'm leaning toward 255/85/16 albeit there are very few options in this size. ST Maxx is the one I'd go with. Option two (2) is bump up to a 17" wheel and vie for the 255/80/17 , of which there are more options/ one in particular is the availability of the TOYO AT2

I'd like a wheel with more neg. offset (-6 to -12) and push out the tire a bit more and have been looking at PRO COMP LaPaz.

I'm not a big fan of spacers for wheels or suspension and am going to avoid at all cost.

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
Cooper ST Maxx here too. Rain, Snow, Off-Road are all positive. Had BFG AT's before that (multiple sets), and the only th8ng they were ok on was dry road - any snow and they were useless.

When this set is done I will definitely get another set of the coopers.

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

I am looking to move from stock 265/70/17’s on my new 4Runner to a 275/70/17 that will be descent until I am able to pony up for a lift and go to the 285’s. I have never had Cooper’s before, but I’ve read some some really good reviews for the AT3, so I am looking at them vs the KO2 (I am finding things are a bit limited in the size I am looking at). I have had great experience with 1 set of TA’s in the past, so I am a little torn...

Has anyone tried the LT or XLT since they came out? Looking back at the thread, we may have had time for someone to be the first [emoji6]

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Oh, and if anyone has, what kind of pricing did you get?

I called up my local Les Schwab and got a quote for $1,100 for 4 of the 10-ply which I guess is the LT instead of the 6-ply which I assume is the regular AT3... I was a little speechless... granted, Les Schwab does lifetime rotates and balances, offers free flat repair, and has some great customer service (most of the time). But still, that was a lot more than I expected.