New Build from a Noob in Nashville! (2002 Xterra)

• HTML tutorial

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

Howdy!

So I've been into primitive and modern camping, backcountry, hunting, fishing, etc. my entire life and yet I've never owned a 4x4. I decided to change that last week, sold my 2003 GMC Sierra I've had for almost 16 years, and bought my neighbors 2002 Nissan Xterra.

Long Term Goals:
- daily driver
- off road capable
- overland trailer to go with it
- mobile hunting cabin

It's already got the following:
- unknown custom roof rack with lights (lights work fine)
- Rancho lift kit (2.5 inches (I think)
- taillight brush guards

Issues:
- engine is solid, but I need a new air/fuel sensor to pass emissions ($250)
- it was pulling to the left, had a few creaks and groans
- some minor wear and cracks on the plastic (front and rear)

The good:
- Interior is immaculate. I'm not going to have to fix a thing
- Engine runs very well.
- Tires are brand new
- 4x4 works great, no issues

Work I've done so far:
- took it to an alignment shop and got a new UCA and tie rod. I plan to do a lot of work myself and learn as I go but I wanted to start with a blank canvas.

Planned work
- New front and rear bumpers, and rock sliders (shrockworks)
- Spare tire either mounted on the cargo rack or on a spare tire carrier on the bumper
- Cargo rack ladder
- molle webbing for the rear back windows and cargo netting inside
- CB/HAM radio with antenna(s)
- Hi lift jack
- Jerry Cans (mounted, already have the cans)
- replace the shocks, rear leaf springs, and bushings to get rid of some creaks and groans

Scheduled:
- Memorial day weekend I'm taking the rack off and rough sanding it, priming it with Rustoleum self etching primer, and doing a safety orange/black truck bed liner coat.
- Also going to take a brass wire wheel brush to the underside and touch up any spots (there's no rust problems) with some rustoleum

Questions:
- Are skid plates necessary if I'm not planning to go insane off roading?
- What's the best place to get some replacement plastic for the light covers and bumpers?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

Spent the last 48 hours putting together a parts list of what I think will be everything I need moving forward

Body/Armor:

- Shrockworks Rock Sliders - $0500
- Shrockworks Skid Plates (full set) - $0700
- Replacement Front and Rear Bumpers - $0400
- ARB Double Jerry Can Holder - $0180

Suspension:
- Xterra Heavy Duty Motor Mounts (x2) - $0220
- D22 Xterra Ultimate Kit w/ Alcan Springs - $1400

Interior:
- Paracord Headrest Grab Handles - $0040
- Rear Window Molle Panel - $0100
- Raingler Nets Dog Leash (x2) - $0050
- Raingler Floor Net - $0090
- Raingler Mini Ceiling Net - $0060
- Breakaway Pouch (FAK) - $0025

Recovery:
- Hi-Lift Jack w/ Full Accessory Kit - $0400

That will put me with initial purchase, tax, title, etc. About 8K all in.

Anything on that list seem unnecessary? I was thinking I may not need the Skid Plates?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I would say as long as the Mechanicals are all good throw some gear in it and go out and explore a little bit and figure out what things you really need . if you don't have it already I would add these to your list first

recovery gear
first aid kit
fire extinguisher
let at least 2 people know where you are heading and a expected return time.

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

Thanks for the info! That's a good point. I kind of jump into things before I decide what I like. I do already have a fire extinguisher, spare gas cans, and a first aid kit.

Also I have a wife who hates the outdoors so the two people thing might be tough but I'll figure it out. : )

Reactions: Jay's H3

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I'll post pictures this weekend but I've swapped the plastic grab handles for Paracord handles and I've got a vintage CB Radio (late 70s) wired up, I'm just trying to figure out where I want to put the antenna. I want it on the safari rack but I can't leave the antenna up 24/7 in that config.

Still on the fence about the shrockworks rear bumper with spare tire carrier vs just mounting the tire on the rack and putting a ladder on.

I'm repainting the rack, tail light guards, and wheels OD green in the coming weeks.

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

Haven't updated in a minute but I have made some progress. First off, I took the Xt out and did some off roading at my friend's farm and aside from some worn shocks and bushings that could use replacing everything was solid. So I put together a parts list on amazon to freshen up the suspension and steering for now, and the new leaf springs will be a later thing.

As far as mods go I haven't done much yet. I replaced the grab handles with paracord and I put in a CB radio and antenna.

And the biggest new addition is my soon to be overland trailer made from an old chevy truck bed.

The Project Begins...

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
Awesome Xterra, I'm in Huntsville and I have a 2008 Xterra Off-Road 6 M/T. Are there any good trails in the Nashville area?