Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

DSC00765M.JPG

The BLM has recently issued a new management plan for public comment on the usage of the Alabama Hills area in the Eastern Sierras just west of Lone Pine. The main changes introduced by this plan will be to replace the current ability for dispersed camping wherever you want for however long you want with a permit (free - no cost) requirement and limits on the number of consecutive days and days within the year. The plan also proposes to limit backcountry camping to site areas (50) that will be designated as such, as well as providing some expansion and improvements to the established campgrounds in the area.

I sort of have mixed feelings but in the end I think it was a necessary thing to do given all the misuse and abuse this area has undergone in recent years and this past year in particular. If you would like to provide any feedback to the BLM plan you may do so by February 15.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I hate that they have to regulate it but with how popular this hobby is now (both truly and as a fad), it's almost inevitable. That area is super accessible and makes for good content on Instagram so it's being properly abused.