New and not wanting to make mistakes on communications

• HTML tutorial

spencer graham

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Albuquerque, NM
Member #

I am looking at these two types and open to your suggestions. Small back ground. My areas are mountains and deserts of the SW. squadron commander with CAP, will be hopefully get HAM rating and ground team sometime soon. Multiple unit mice as backup but other family members not as into it, that way I can pass them around.

Last part better to get the ones being taken away by FCC?
And looking into Tacoma and 4Runner units....
I know it is a lot to ask..... thanks

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Does CAP not provide comms equipment?

Sounds like GMRS/FRS might work for you or even MURS.
GMRS is a licensed service, FRS is not. GMRS offers more power and mobile radios, FRS is 2 watts or less and handheld device only but they work on the same frequencies (22 channels).
The GMRS license is pay to play (no test), good for 10 yrs, and covers your immediate family.
If you are wanting radios to hand out to anyone that is where the FRS radios would come into play. Since no license is required you can hand those to anyone and still use your GMRS radio to communicate with them.

MURS is license free as well, limited to 2 watts but operates on VHF frequencies as opposed to the UHF frequencies that GMRS/FRS uses so they can't talk to each other. However, MURS only has 5 channels.

Ham radio is better but requires everyone using the radio independently to be licensed.

Better to get the Baofeng radios? You will have to program each one and know what frequencies you are programming and the power output and bandwidth allowed on that frequency.
The Baofengs are technically legal for GMRS/FRS and likely MURS as well.

Reactions: spencer graham

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Does CAP not provide comms equipment?

Sounds like GMRS/FRS might work for you or even MURS.
GMRS is a licensed service, FRS is not. GMRS offers more power and mobile radios, FRS is 2 watts or less and handheld device only but they work on the same frequencies (22 channels).
The GMRS license is pay to play (no test), good for 10 yrs, and covers your immediate family.
If you are wanting radios to hand out to anyone that is where the FRS radios would come into play. Since no license is required you can hand those to anyone and still use your GMRS radio to communicate with them.

MURS is license free as well, limited to 2 watts but operates on VHF frequencies as opposed to the UHF frequencies that GMRS/FRS uses so they can't talk to each other. However, MURS only has 5 channels.

Ham radio is better but requires everyone using the radio independently to be licensed.

Better to get the Baofeng radios? You will have to program each one and know what frequencies you are programming and the power output and bandwidth allowed on that frequency.
The Baofengs are technically legal for GMRS/FRS and likely MURS as well.
I have three baofengs. I programmed one and then copied to all of them using the software...

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Ham is a very good way to go. With a little study effort you will have access to 2m and 40cm and a great community of folks. Many quite knowledgeable in all things radio comms. I have a Kenwood TH-D72E, and plan to get the TM-D710 dual band transceiver soon.

Also consider something like a Garmin Inreach GPS system that will allow you to text from anywhere you can get a satellite signal. It can also couple with an iPad like device and help with navigation.

xterraRTB

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bruce
Member #

Just finished the FCC application for my GMRS license. Good God what a pain. I'm dizzy from all of the run around on their site. But I have taken the first step to legal communication. I just have the Motorola Talkabout Handheld and the license cost more than the radios did.

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Just finished the FCC application for my GMRS license. Good God what a pain. I'm dizzy from all of the run around on their site. But I have taken the first step to legal communication. I just have the Motorola Talkabout Handheld and the license cost more than the radios did.
No joke, but at least they were fast with the license, got it the next day.