Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have a teardrop. I need power. How to do that is the question? NET ZERO is the goal.

I am leaning to something like the SUOAKI G500. But it looks like it might not have enough power or connections to work. I'm going to work on my "needs" and add SPECS to this thread.

I know for cooking, coffee I'll use propane so no microwave, toaster or.... ?? No razor, no blow dryer, no iron lol. NO AC !!

These are my needs. I'll add specs to the list as I continue to research.

Refrigeration is number 1, a Dometic CRX 80
Lighting, a total of 10 LED hardwired lights. 2 bedside, 2 storage, 2 outside, 4 kitchen
Charging, my cell, an ipad, a MacBookAir, 2 camera batteries, 1 by USB, 1 off 120v, a rechargeable LED headlamp??

Not all lights would be on together. Charging can be rotating. But I love the convenience of everything always plugged in, hooked up, ready for use. Just like at home. So I can focus on the outdoor overlanding experience, not the geeky tasks of playing with gadgets.... which I hate. I'm the guy who has laptop charger under my desk and another in my suitcase. A power bar might work for the 120volt chargers. Four high power USB outlets would be nice for the other chargers.

I have space to add 2) 160watt solar panels to the roof of the OSB BOX. And weight is not an issue. Steady, reliable power supply is the over riding goal. I'd like to keep the vehicle electrics completely separate from the trailer/camping needs.

I think job 1 is to add up all those power draws. Hopefully 320watts of solar permanently on the roof will keep things running forever, Net Zero the goal. The easy part is finding batteries, maybe golf cart batteries?? or Lithium Ion?? The hard part for me is finding the correct power distribution/control components. I love SUOAKI G500 packaging. But would prefer components which can be changed out, upgraded as time moves on.

The option of running a charging circuit off the tow vehicle alternator to suppliment charging needs while driving is an option.
But I'd want the circuits to be independent/isolated automatically once the engine shuts off

I'm thinking a few others want similar systems.

Last edited:

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Check out RedArc. They look like an easy to use system.