Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nemo Tunnel, Tennessee - just googled that. Wow, that looks exciting. Great tip. So, that's an abandoned railroad tunnel, right?

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I've seen some videos and it looks like fun!
Anyone else interested in going? It's a 5.5 hour ride from Charlotte, NC so definitely a weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) trip for me.

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Please pardon my resurrecting this old thread. I will be in the area from July 17th through July 23rd and Nemo Tunnel is one of the things I was looking to do. I'd love to meet some members and perhaps ride some other trails in the region while I'm in the area as well.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Please pardon my resurrecting this old thread. I will be in the area from July 17th through July 23rd and Nemo Tunnel is one of the things I was looking to do. I'd love to meet some members and perhaps ride some other trails in the region while I'm in the area as well.
Hey, Edward.
I’ve been watching this thread to see if anyone would be interested in running Nemo, as well. I live near Charlotte, NC. I will have to see if my work schedule would allow time to join, but I am interested in the 7/16-18 weekend.
-Eric

Reactions: Big Easy Overland

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Hey, Edward.
I’ve been watching this thread to see if anyone would be interested in running Nemo, as well. I live near Charlotte, NC. I will have to see if my work schedule would allow time to join, but I am interested in the 7/16-18 weekend.
-Eric
Eric,
Sweet! I'll be driving to the Pigeon Forge area from the Big Easy on 7/16, but I should be good to go for the 17th and/or 18th.

ETA: Holy smokes did time get away from me... I can't believe I posted about the Nemo tunnel nearly three weeks ago. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Last edited:

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Hey, Edward.
-Eric
Eric,
Sweet! I'll be driving to the Pigeon Forge area from the Big Easy on 7/16, but I should be good to go for the 17th and/or 18th.

ETA: Holy smokes did time get away from me... I can't believe I posted about the Nemo tunnel nearly three weeks ago. Sorry for the delayed reply.
The Man strikes again… :/
Looking at the current schedule I will be working 7/16 11:00pm to 7/18 6:00 am.
I’ll keep watching this thread. Hopefully next time…
Thanks!

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Eric,
I end up in that area nearly every summer, and I might be inclined to make a trip between Christmas and new Years this winter. If so, I'll try to remember to let you know.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
Be aware... there has been a post over several East Tennessee off road groups recently that the railroad is considering shutting down Nemo Tunnel. Several groups and even members of the Wartburg city government are trying to talk the railroad into not shutting the tunnel down, but the railroad is apparently getting tired of the trash and vandalism out there.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Be aware... there has been a post over several East Tennessee off road groups recently that the railroad is considering shutting down Nemo Tunnel. Several groups and even members of the Wartburg city government are trying to talk the railroad into not shutting the tunnel down, but the railroad is apparently getting tired of the trash and vandalism out there.
If there is no longer a railroad line there why do they care? I would think the land should now be back in the hands of the state of Tennessee, if not maybe the city of Wartburg needs to take over management of it. Fines should be steep for people who leave trash behind and vandalize but I realize that is hard to track down so they can prosecute.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

If there is no longer a railroad line there why do they care? I would think the land should now be back in the hands of the state of Tennessee, if not maybe the city of Wartburg needs to take over management of it. Fines should be steep for people who leave trash behind and vandalize but I realize that is hard to track down so they can prosecute.
As with everything else these days, I suspect there may be a liability concern if someone get stuck or stalls in tunnel. I’m actually surprised it is as accessible as it is.

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

Some folks just don't know how to act...

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

I'm getting pretty excited for the trip. Besides Nemo tunnel I'm looking to do at least one, perhaps two other day trips from Pigeon Forge. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
There is an active rail line near the entrance of the old tunnel. When I was there recently a story was shared about this guy (at about 3:50) knucklehead

This is another reason why it may have been closed recently

• Wow
Reactions: KonzaLander

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

There is an active rail line near the entrance of the old tunnel. When I was there recently a story was shared about this guy (at about 3:50) knucklehead

This is another reason why it may have been closed recently
What an amazing video. Just one more argument the RR can use to close that whole area. What a bozo!

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

We've been here since Saturday night and I have yet to be able to take the 4RUNNER anywhere other than the ball park. I'm hoping to get to Nemo's Tunnel Saturday, but I'm a bit Wary of the standing water considering the storms we've had here this week.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

We've been here since Saturday night and I have yet to be able to take the 4RUNNER anywhere other than the ball park. I'm hoping to get to Nemo's Tunnel Saturday, but I'm a bit Wary of the standing water considering the storms we've had here this week.
Double check, but I believe Nemo is closed by the RR now.