Negativity towards OB and Members? OB losing its way?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug2003

Rank II

Traveler I

East Olympia, WA
Member #

Hey all!

The title of this post got my attention for sure. Individuals may lose their way, Overland Bound will not. Don't confuse the actions of some people with Overland Bounds core values.

The fact of the matter is, we are bigger, and as we grow, it will become more of a challenge to guide some individuals along our Founding Principles. That is the exciting challenge and opportunity we have to change the world for the better. Keep making a positive impact.

Though we cannot control the actions of our members any more than Facebook can control theirs, we take member actions, proper land use, and common decency very seriously. We have the Trail Guardian Program. The Trophy System in the forums encouraging the behavior we want to see. We are incorporating the Founding Principles as push notification reminders in our upcoming iOS and Android apps. We have established Ambassadors who live and breathe these principles and reinforce them in the community, and hell, we have Founding Principles. OLB, more than any organization I am aware of, advocates for proper land use, and common decency.

As far as the negativity towards OLB, it's to be expected. The larger we grow, the more scrutiny we will have. I believe in our founding principles too much to spend any time on it. If a well respected individual who is balanced, calm, and rational has a critique, I'm the first to listen and engage in dialogue so we may improve. That is pretty rare.

Most of you know why my return to the great outdoors was life changing. It's why I started OLB, and the balance overlanding provides in life is not only for a select few. It's for everyone. There is a person out there right now in their cubicle prison who feels sick. They don't know whats missing, and they are grasping for something. Anything. We're here for them. There is a veteran who has never felt the camaraderie at home they felt defending friends in the trenches and they feel alone. We are here for them. There is the estranged father who has no connection with their children, trying to fill an emptiness that should not be there. We are here for that family. There is the person simply needing more. More to life. More unknown. More self reliance, more "me" time, more adventure. We are here for them too. These are not hypothetical. These are Members in the forums right now, and we hear more stories every day that are positive.

We have tremendous responsibility to affect behavior in a positive way, but OLB did not invent outdoor recreation, the internet, population increase, technology, social media, unhealthy parental role models, or any of the great many things that contribute to the negative human behavior you see. You can't even blame the government for that. We are all, as adults, responsible for our own actions. Each of us is defined by the actions we take in response to adversity, and it's an opportunity for greatness.

It's up to each of us to make a positive impact within our community. Lead by example.
I agree with Michael, I found this forum when looking for ideas and ways to get my mind off of present circumstances. To me, it's a way to experience things in a "vicarious" way, to see how others plan, outfit, and go on adventures not possible for myself at this moment in time.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500

Experimenter I

Lorain County, OH, USA
Member #

You clearly haven't read the toxic comments on the Overland Meme Instagram account... I have no problem with poking fun and deflating self important jackasses (look at my username for example, I've got no illusions about where I exist on the continuum between Geo Metro driving KOA camper and Ronnie Dahl), and many of the memes there crack me up, but the comments are mostly garbage. Discriminatory and ugly and mystifyingly passionate.

What I find most disturbing in many of Overland Meme's comments, is how many of the most damning toward Overland Bound are posted by members of Overland Bound.

soonersfan

Rank VI

Advocate II

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham Callsign
KG5LTZ
This site is growing and has been immensely successful. I think for sure there is jealousy and envy about that. I keep hearing people comment about the site making money, like that’s a bad thing and I think it’s hilarious.

The fact of the matter is, the owners of the site found a way to do what most of us wish we could. It may bother some people that they can’t do the same. They’ve also gone so far as to invite anyone and everyone into the club which I guess makes it less cool for some people.

Anytime someone is good or great at something, there will be haters. That’s all this is. Of course in a group this size, there may be a handful who don’t represent the values of the group in general. It’s unavoidable but I would guess it’s also the exception.

The fact is, you can’t make everyone happy all the time. If people don’t like it here, they should move on and not come back. If they just can’t stand the success of the site and the movement, they should head over to overland_memes and try to make their miserable lives better by being part of the elite group of haters.

Cort

Rank VI
Supporter

Navigator I

Grand Rapids
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD8GQL
How dare the founder even think about profiting on his hard work and dedication to his business. I am outraged!

I checked out the overland meme page and while a few were funny they felt stale and not creative. The comments are standard internet fare, no big deal. No reason to get offended over a meme page.

bajatacoguy

Rank VI

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
Member #

I just do my thing!

No need for Facebook, IG or any other Social Media it adds zero valu! I tried for a little bit for this site because all the group meet up chat started to go on Facebook but non of those local trips seemed to pan out & I felt it defeats the very purpose of this site. So thankfully I stopped the Facebook Shit Show.... I'm not in high school anymore!

Also I do not feel obligated to spend my money to support someone else’s Overlander fun.

Social Media LOL

Last edited:

BoldAdventure

Rank V

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I don't think the people who said stuff, myself particularly have anything against the site making money. More about how it's presented.

I've run a forum. I maintain several high traffic servers and CDN's and it's expensive. My fulltime career is in web. I make money from the internet. I run a brand, I've been an entrepreneur.

A free market also means the freedom to criticize and voice opinions with your dollars. I do every day. Most everyone does.

Doesn't mean we can't say we don't like XYZ.

Sales and how you drive sales is really a personal/ethical thing. XYZ might be acceptable to person A and repulsive to person B.

Can't please all. But I think letting anyone say their peace and not mocking them, is good business.

CampWithChin

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I visited the IG as mention. I do have some laugh on some of the memes. I also think they are butthurt over the blocked by OB on IG. Like a child, they need to grow up.

HappyOurOverlanding

US West Region Member Rep

Traveler I

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI7RAM
This is one reason I joined OB. The guiding principles and especially leaving the places visited better than when you came. (along with the interesting variety of threads/posts) My good friend and overlanding mentor who has been overlanding for 20 plus years demonstrates 'guardianship' at every place we go --by example not just words. It is up to us to take the action needed and set a continuing example. Thanks for posting the link Steve.

James Deaton

Rank V

Traveler I

It’s kind of unavoidable because of the way this community is setup. What I mean is in this example: If you are gonna drive like an idiot, then don’t put “Jesus loves you” stickers on your car. Why? Because everyone will think Christians drive like idiots and have no respect for others...

Therefore, if you don’t want any bad OB publicity out there, then don’t sell any OB stickers.

The caveat is that having no stickers also reduces promotion of the good things about the community.

Fact 1: There are tons of “not so smart” people in this world, some of which are probably OB members.

Fact 2: People generally only pass on bad information. People like to focus on the bad, and have trouble focusing on the good. Therefore the bad press about OB members gets passed around, and the good press doesn’t.

Here are a few possible solutions:

1: Stop selling stickers, and offer cash rewards for turning in your old stickers. This ensures very little press of any kind will be generated.

2: Interview members before providing membership or selling them stickers, then revoke their membership and repo their stickers if two or more witnesses provide evidence of poor sportsmanship.

3: Post more good press about being an OB member in multiple forums. This would be everyone’s job, amd would help dillute the “bad press” out there about OB...

James

TerryD

Rank VI

Advocate I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
Overland Bound is thriving and growing. When you are doing something right, there will be those who ridicule you. The all- inclusive nature of OB was a big draw for me.

The "clicky" nature of the hard core off-road scene were huge turn offs for me. However, even in those groups, there is a sense of "all for one", the "everyone makes it through" feeling that the people I was with shared, that appealed to me. Some of my best friendships were formed on those mountain trails. I think OB represents that feeling in its most simple form, welcoming everyone with open arms and offering advice for whatever "level" of overlanding you're comfortable with. That draws fire because it challenges the "standing" of some in the community with fully built rigs. I'll admit I was critical of "overlanding" initially, until I got more into the meat of it. When I realized that this is what I wanted from off-roading, I joined. I've tried to convey that to friends as well.

Not everyone can afford the time or money to traverse another continent, but that doesn't mean you should just sit at home and watch those who can on YouTube.

I think everyone should just continue to be awesome and helpful. Keep showing everyone what we are instead of arguing about what we're not.

Voodoo 1

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Edmonds, WA
Member #

I'm still a newbie, and still learning the in's & out's, of the OB community. I agree with all the positive comments. And it is truly sad if this is going on.
I like to think I'm a good person, hell I like to think everyone is a good person (but of late, I am being proven wrong). In the military, you learn honesty, honor, and respect. But before that, I was also brought up with a 50's mentality.
And unless I grew up under a rock, a different planet, altered-state, or in Walla-Walla, WA (just kidding about the altered-state - sorry, I mean Walla-Walla) ;) if I didn't show those qualities growing up, boy I wouldn't have been able to sit for months! Today - honesty, honor & respect is out the window, and that is what it boils down too. I see it with my customers, on the streets, and if that is happening on the trails, it's just sad.

Part of my reason to get off the main roads and explore is to just get away from those individuals. :(

Voodoo 1

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Edmonds, WA
Member #

I agree with Michael, I found this forum when looking for ideas and ways to get my mind off of present circumstances. To me, it's a way to experience things in a "vicarious" way, to see how others plan, outfit, and go on adventures not possible for myself at this moment in time.
We need a sound-byte (insert applause here) Well said! Thumbs-up!!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
Member #

I have been part of a club before. An MC. And it is run a seriously different way. And they cant even keep all members acting right. The only thing we can do is lead by example like others have said. If you are proud of OB and want others to know, talk about it. Show it off. Run that base camp flag on pick up days. Dont just pick up your site and routes to get points as part of a crew. Do it because its what you want to do. I think this is a very good group of people and will continue to spread the word.

#overlandbound, #adventureisnecessary, #gaurdian

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Voodoo 1

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Edmonds, WA
Member #

I have been part of a club before. An MC. And it is run a seriously different way. And they cant even keep all members acting right. The only thing we can do is lead by example like others have said. If you are proud of OB and want others to know, talk about it. Show it off. Run that base camp flag on pick up days. Dont just pick up your site and routes to get points as part of a crew. Do it because its what you want to do. I think this is a very good group of people and will continue to spread the word.

#overlandbound, #adventureisnecessary, #gaurdian

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Damn straight! Good words! I just got my OB Flag, and looking forward to fly it proudly :)

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy
Status
Not open for further replies.