Needed some advice | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Needed some advice

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Seanhecko

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

California City CA
First Name
SEAN
Last Name
HECKO
Member #

I have a sheet of high density polyethylene plastic that i want to make into a tailgate cover fof my ram. The info that i have found online for working with it says general wood working tools work fine for modifications to the board.
Has anyone on here ever worked with hdpe before and if so any advice or tips you can share on working with it or joining/welding pieces together?

smritte

Rank V

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Member #

Ham Callsign
KO6BI
That exact project is on my way too big list of things to do. I never looked into joining/welding the sheets but was going to cut and bevel the corners like wood.
My response isn't to advise as much as see what you get for replies.

Reactions: Seanhecko

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank IV

Contributor III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

I can't speak to bending/forming it, but when cutting it certain blades will just melt it. If a clean polished edge is what you're looking for, you may want to look into purpose-built plastic-cutting-blades. But then again, if this is a one-off project, buying the blade may not be cost-effective, and it's nothing a little sanding couldn't fix.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Member III

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
I have used HDPE sheet panels for a few projects over the years and learned a few things. On a workbench work surface project, I learned that a big sheet will warp/buckle when secured flat and it gets hot. On a truck tailgate I would suggest installing the panel in the heat of summer.

I also built a skid plate for my Yamaha WR out it it.
1632405553230.png

I struggled producing a very clean edge with the stuff. For a power tool, I found a jigsaw on low speed with a plexiglass blade worked okay. As stated above, most power tools will melt the HDPE instead of cutting it so take it slow. If you are cutting a straight line, I found by using a basic utility knife you can score the material several times and bend and crack it for a decent edge. A rough edge produced by any method of cutting can be cleaned up using rough to fine sanding sponges.

Reactions: Seanhecko