Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

So I'm planning to pick up my Patriot X1 at the end of summer. What do I need to know about registering it and paying sales tax on it? The dealer won't be collecting taxes, so it will be my responsibility to pay the taxes and get it registered. Does California require a CHP inspection before they will register the trailer, even though it has a 17-digit VIN? I'm expecting the registration fees on a utility trailer to be very cheap. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who's gone through this process.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've registered a few new builds and gotten vin's. I have never done one that had a vin already. I made an appointment and went to DMV. Someone came out, looked at it and gave me a vin tag.
On another forum, someone had told me you could vin your trailer and as long as its unique, its yours. He stated he makes his own vins for some reason.
You may want to get a weight certificate just in case. If you already have brakes that's a plus but I don't remember the weight where they require a breakaway system. The weight certificate would prevent you from making two trips.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

The VINs do have a code and format, so they need to conform to a standard. So I guess anyone can make their own VIN as long as it conforms to the standard. But this already has a conforming VIN. I'm just wondering if I need to go through a CHP inspection and how they know if I paid my sales tax. Of course, I would never, ever, ever try to cheat the great state of California out of it's well deserving taxes.