Need an alternative to Rhino Rack's useless Hi-Lift roof rack bracket

• HTML tutorial

Henrik Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Greetings. A while ago, I decided to get a platform type roof rack. Unfortunately I spent a truckload of money and bought a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform. Nothing majorly wrong with the platform itself, but the accessories are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Just recently, I bought this "3-in-1" bracket for a Hi-Lift jack and a shovel (not sure what they mean by 3-in-1).

I spent some time today to install it, and I'm sending it back on Monday. Complete piece of sh*t. I can't believe how badly designed it is, how low the quality of the hardware is, and how this item even passed a basic product viability review before they released it. I have so many complaints about this, I don't know where to start. Pathetic installation instructions with contradicting information and inadequate diagrams, misinformation (citing a 17mm wrench is needed, when it's actually 5/8"), finest Chinesium junk hardware (zinc bolts that snapped when torqued), and a useless product design in general. I can live with crappy instructions, and I'd be willing to upgrade the bolts. But what made me finally decide to return this piece of junk was that there is no quick release for the jack, or the clamps that hold the shovel :rage:
That's right, if you have a shovel with a D type handle, you're SOL. The jack is attached to the bracket with the same junk quality zinc bolts as the one that snapped (thicker diameter). Not only that, you only need about half the length of the bolt to securely fasten the jack, but the ones they shipped were ridiculously long, so you end up standing there wrenching your arm off before you can actually get the jack secured or taken off. I'm so dumbfounded about this idiocy, that I'm lacking words. I have about 100 other complaints, but I'll spare you the sadness. Sorry for the angry rant, but this product was an enormous disappointment. And it wasn't cheap either.

Are there other vendors that make Rhino Rack compatible accessories? If not, it's a golden business opportunity to make reasonably priced, high quality, easy to use Rhino Rack accessories...
I have to believe there's gotta be some clever solution out there with some sort of quick release for a Hi-Lift jack. I'm pretty sure I can use a Quick Fist clamp for a shovel/axe, and simply make a little plate that fits in the channel and tap it and then bolt the Quick Fist to it. But for something as heavy as a Hi-Lift jack, I'd feel better if it was properly fabricated and thoroughly tested by a reputable shop. Any tips or hints appreciated.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have this one. The jack rattles like mad but that is the end of the Jack and not the actual brackets.

I do like that it allows me to lock up the jack.

Step 22 has a "solution" that I just need to install. Silent Jack for Hi-Lift Jacks

I am headed to my garage to finally put it on. I have also used some large velcro straps to try to minimize the jack bottom from moving while driving.

As you mentioned I use the rubber quickfists to hold my shovel. They are getting a little worn out after several years but those with a couple of hose clamps is an easy solution for a shovel.

Reactions: Henrik Martin