Need Alabama hills info

• HTML tutorial

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hi All I am thinking about heading to Alabama hills in the next week. I have a 23 foot travel trailer with decent clearance, 15’ wheels and all terrains. Like any travel trailer a bunch of washboard road would shake it to bits. Is there a place there that is pretty good dirt road that I could get the travel trailer into to base camp with the family. Our spring break plans changes now we have time to take a trip but have no reservations so looking for an off grid spot to chill and base camp out of.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I can not speak for current conditions as we have not been lately. Our set up consists of a "off-road" popup Fleetwood evolution e2. Cloo the length is roughly 20ft and open 25ft. When we were there the main road was pretty decent only a few spots that the washboard got bad. We tried to pre plan our spot based off of Google Earth but that backfired ( some one was already there with a 40ft toy hauler). There are some great spots right of the main drag a ways in but you will probably have more neighbors. If wanting more seclusion take a road off the main drag. We ended up doing this and found a great spot. We pre walked to the campsite ad it was dark and unfamiliar with the area. Ended up being a perfect location with only one other neighbor the whole 4 days we where there and they were about 300yrds away so that was fine lol. LRM_EXPORT_1106915317887048_20190327_193608324.jpegIMG_20190327_180503_752.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Are there good hikes must do hikes or must do drives there
We drove from camp through Alabama hills down movie rd to the back side of Manzanar and toured that and shot across the road to the air stripped then went up to reward mine. The day after we went a ways up to obsidian dome, hot springs, mono lake and bald mountain look out. Most of those drives can even be done in 2wd