Need advice to safely lift heavy spare tire on and off rooftop rack outside of garage (low ceiling)

• HTML tutorial

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

Does anyone have advice about how to lift a heavy, bulky, (second) spare tire on and off my rooftop rack (its a Yakima Load Warrior, on top of my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk). My condominium garage height is low; must do this task outside. Is there some way I can lift and lower the tire safely - by myself? I’m an older guy, with arthritis in my spine, knee, ankle, wrist, etc. as a result of motorcycle and cycling accidents. I’ve started looking at rope pulleys, ratchet pulleys - something like that may help? How to lift and lower the tire without damaging the side of the Jeep? Thanks!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Does anyone have advice about how to lift a heavy, bulky, (second) spare tire on and off my rooftop rack (its a Yakima Load Warrior, on top of my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk). My condominium garage height is low; must do this task outside. Is there some way I can lift and lower the tire safely - by myself? I’m an older guy, with arthritis in my spine, knee, ankle, wrist, etc. as a result of motorcycle and cycling accidents. I’ve started looking at rope pulleys, ratchet pulleys - something like that may help? How to lift and lower the tire without damaging the side of the Jeep? Thanks!
First thing that comes to mind is cargo net wrapped tire and using a inexpensive ATV winch from harbor freight to get it on and off.

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

Tree and a rope at your local park, then put the tire in the back and take it home.

This is why i’m against putting a spare tire on the roof by the way...
Hi James, unfortunately the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a lift back so unlike a Wrangler there's no way to mount a tire on the back. Still hoping for a solution that doesn't involve trees! Ha!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
After fighting my spare on and off my roof rack I bought a hitchgate to carry the spare. I use a drill winch to lift my hitchgate on and off the truck, otherwise I would need to take it down in three parts. With the winch it's a five minute job.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Paate this into a Google search:

jeep grand cherokee swing tire carrier

If the search results don’t help you, go to Google Images. Find one you like, and follow that link to where to buy it.

James

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

You might be able to mount something to the ceiling.

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-ton-manual-chain-hoist-69338.html ($60 manual chain hoist).

https://m.harborfreight.com/440-lbs-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html ($100 electric 440lb hoist).

All that said. My first thought was how a lone arthritic man is going to safely get that spare off the roof on a muddy trail or a rainy night. I 100% agree with avoiding roof spares at all costs!
Ha! Totally agree. I plan to contact Yakima to propose that they develop a hoist. Yakima sells a custom clamp to attach your spare tire to the Load Warrior rooftop carrier, but they don't say how to lift it up there or get it back down...

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Reactions: Craig Durling

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

104EAFCC-44AD-479C-88F1-AE800C2B8050.jpeg Perhaps a second spare is overkill for two longer trips that I’m planning? (6 day, 400 mile off road trip in Death Valley - must carry all water and fuel), and running the Mojave Road (4 days, 167 miles). In my dreams, I travel overland to Tierra del Fuego...

Two weeks ago, I ran part of the Rubicon Trail, I got a flat, tire ruined. While going home. On Hwy 80. Happy ending: AAA changed the tire. And, no objection from my spouse to my new replacement tires - BFGoodrich T/A KO2’s.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

With better quality tires your need for a second spare will be minimal.
Do invest into a good quality tire repair kit and a compressor ( I've had a harbor freight one for 6 years now and it's filled everything from bike tires to 37s, they usually get a bad rap because most of the smaller compressors you need to turn the compressor on before you hook it to the tire if not it overloads the motor and burns it out ) . Get a old mounted tire , let all the air out , drill a hole in the tire and practice plugging holes, much better to learn the proper techniques of plugging a tire at home in your garage rather than trying to figure it out on the trail.

If you have the funds find a local fabricator to make you a bumper/ swing out , it will not only afford you a little more ground clearance and protection in the rear but you will also be more in control of the design of it so it'll fit your needs rather than a mass-produced bumper.

Also another option I'll have to see if I can find the thread for it this guy made a very simple swing down tire carrier that was not on the inexpensive but easily removed for daily life when you don't need a spare on the back.
Screenshot_20180714-223615.png Screenshot_20180714-223632.png

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

F99170D6-FFA2-4C70-BE76-29A862660D70.jpeg Interesting possibilities - thanks for the suggestions! I’ll keep working on it. I’m particularly interested in the swing-down, trailer-hitch mounted idea. You’d think something like this would be commercially available, but as it is not, I would need to have it fabricated. A welding shop could start with a hitch-mounted, swing-down steel bike rack and modify it, I presume.

Hmmm.... I already own a hitch-mounted, swing-down Thule platform rack, designed to carry two heavy electric bikes (see photo). It includes a collapsible ramp so you can roll the bike up rather than lift it. Maybe I could secure the spare tire on it. Only downside may be reduced ground clearance. We’ll see!

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

FF5EEE43-9142-4E27-BFD2-C78ECAD2C664.jpeg Hey, hitch-mounted, off-road, swing-away spare tire carriers do exist! I think I found the solution. (Although I’m still amused by the suggestion that I go to a public park and throw a rope over a tree to lift my spare onto the roof. Unfortunately, getting the damaged tire back up could be a problem as there aren’t a lot of trees where I plan to go in the desert. Ha!)
Wilco Offroad® - XL Hitchgate™ Solo Black Spare Tire Carrier more details on - https://www.carid.com/wilco-offroad/wilco-offroad-hitch-center-775758448.html

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have the Wilco Hitchgate offset and very happy with it. I have my Hi-Lift and two Wavian cans mounted on it along with a 31" spare. I plan on a small winch or comealong hung in my car port to assist in install/removal as a single unit, about 220lbs.

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

Perfect! Thanks for the recommendation on the Wilco carrier. I'll also get the attachment to carry gas cans. My previous cost under-estimate ($500) was based on outdated information by a third party vendor (carid.com) that no longer carries the item. The equipment is available directly from Wilco, the total will be closer to $1,000. I have attachments on my Yakima Load Warrior roof rack to carry my high lift jack and a shovel. :)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you google "Wilco" you should find retailers that sell below the Wilco site price. I found the Hitchgate to be very well made. The Wilco accessories are more of a "custom" fit and may need to be modified to work with your application. Hammer to fit, paint to hide sort of deal.