Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

Hey all I’m looking to get more into overlanding and less dual sport. Getting to old for the spills.
I have a 2014 mega cab 4x that’s stock and has done everything I needed up until now.
I’m thinking even if I start adding to this truck it’s just to big to really have fun with and I don’t want to drop 10k in goodies to still not getout of some tricky trails. Im thinking of 3 rigs
The Tacoma pro: pros it’s already trail ready after a rack and add my tent
Con it’s going to be hard going from a mega cab to a trunda for room for my kid on trips. She’s not into the trails but just for everyday running around it’s been good
Next a 4Runner pro more room for the wife and kid con no bed
Lastly I’ve found 2 power wagons that might fit the bill the pro is they’re loaded and the family won’t get to cramped the con is the size and keeping up with the smaller rigs.
looking for opinions I’m new to overlanding so I’m not looking to get into really tricky trails yet but I’d like something I can grow into.

Reactions: Magic Mike

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome from San Dimas. Just go with what you have, overlanding is about getting out. If you want to spend time and money building go ahead. I would rather take a drive and see something new. Your taco will get you most places. A stove, ice chest tent and a sleeping bag will get you started. Bring a couple of bikes to get where you can't with the Taco, not many BTY. I have a big ol' truck and it get me most places I want to go. Yes, it gets some desert pinstripes.
If you want to wheel hard, it is costly! Join a club and learn how to do it right.

Reactions: MtnManAlex

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Hey all I’m looking to get more into overlanding and less dual sport. Getting to old for the spills.
I have a 2014 mega cab 4x that’s stock and has done everything I needed up until now.
I’m thinking even if I start adding to this truck it’s just to big to really have fun with and I don’t want to drop 10k in goodies to still not getout of some tricky trails. Im thinking of 3 rigs
Con it’s going to be hard going from a mega cab to a trunda for room for my kid on trips. She’s not into the trails but just for everyday running around it’s been good
Lastly I’ve found 2 power wagons that might fit the bill the pro is they’re loaded and the family won’t get to cramped the con is the size and keeping up with the smaller rigs.
looking for opinions I’m new to overlanding so I’m not looking to get into really tricky trails yet but I’d like something I can grow into.
@2xcrash I get your delima! You stated that you were considering a tacoma and depending age / size and number of kids can suit your needs from factory even though they are quite capable I wouldn't consider them trail worthy getting them off the ground, suitable tires, skids maybe bumpers it gets quite expensive.

You state that it will be difficult going from Mega cab to a Tundra (available in Double Cab 6.5ft bed and CrewMax 5.5 bed) it is also a 1/2 ton truck good bit larger then a Tacoma so if you find the Tundra tight I'd skip the Tacoma.

Power Wagon: I love dodge I've had a few including 2006 PW great truck plagued with the normal Dodgeisims tons of power great f/r lockers with sway disconnects. Turning radius sucks, suspension is brutal but better then standard 2500. Its just as large as your megacab. Still recommend getting it off the ground with at least 35s (fits stock) really great with 4" lift and 37s but then you jump down a rabbit hole of punch items... regear and it gets expensive.

4runner is a great platform for family roof space for Roof Top Tent (RTT) and enough space for a sleeping platform for kids inside truck. Also you can run them stock depending on how technical trails you are looking for... But a small lift, skids and decent ATs would help.

All these solutions require an investment on top of cost of the truck. Have you considered keeping your daily and getting something just for exploring? Something like a 80 - 100 series Land Cruiser give you more interior space then 4runner good off road and good return on investment if you decide to sell?

My current rig is 2008 Toyota Tundra with Double Cab 5.7L 6.5bed and Four Wheel Camper wich could also suit your needs depending on selection of camper.

20191116_162321.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Your dilemma on wanting a big comfy cab but also wanting a rig small and light enough to have fun in and fit on tighter trails is shared by MANY people! Sadly no one has found the perfect DO IT ALL FOR EVERYONE overland rig. Full size trucks are just SO ROOMY on the inside I can imagine its tough to downsize. It comes down to your preference and what kind of overlanding you do and want to do. All I can give you is my own experience. Our 4Runner has been great for my fiance, me, our dog, and plenty of room for gear for 7+ day expeditions easily. Perfect size for trails, super capable with just some armor, beefier suspension, and proper tires.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Awhile back I was in Moab with a Raptor, two 4Runners, and a Taco; all basically stock. The Raptor outdid all of them (the others bailed halfway through fins and things and skipped hells gate). The front rock camera helped, but a lot of it is the driver confidence/skill/experience. If you feel good driving the bigger rig it probably won’t hold you back that much.

Anyway, of those vehicles I’d vote power wagon because AEV has made some neat accessories for the Ram trucks, and they’re well-equipped stock. But if gas, cost to modify, and diverse aftermarket support are important then probably I’d go with the Taco out of personal preference. The 4Runner is probably most practical.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I vote 4runner for a do it all compromise of the things you said you would like. It really is a great vehicle. Could also add an off road trailer to the mix to make up for any shortcomings the 4runner may have with carrying all your stuff along with the family. The new Tacoma is just not what it used to be and the ergonomics, for me anyways,...horrible. A power wagon would be my second choice or something like @1derer has. Or maybe the new Ford equivalent with the 7.3 gas motor.

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

Im looking at keeping the Mega cab and picking up ether a salvage 4runner or a Craigslist cheepo. Looking at older Cherokees too. Nothing pretty just mechanically sound. The family isn't to into the outdoor. My kid isnt into it and my wife has limited vacation time and I got a lot of time off each year from work. So a solo ride or a 2 seater in case I bring my dog with me.Got to get rid of a jet boat first. Ive run out of space at the house.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I have a 2015 (5th Gen) 4Runner SR5. I love it, I have highly modified it but even in a semi stock condition I loved it. Feel free to look up my build thread, "my 2015 toyota 4runner build."

fullsizeoutput_aaf.jpeg

Reactions: Wallygator