Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Hey everyone, so I just replaced the clutch in my 1996 Cherokee for the first time ever. I did a ton of research and made sure to follow through my Haynes manual as well while doing it. Everything seemed to go pretty well and it seemed easy enough. Just time consuming. However once I got everything put back together and started it up, I couldn't get it to go into gear. I could shift the stick into whatever gear I wanted but it wouldn't actually go into gear. Also I didn't have to use the clutch to do this, which is unusual. Clutch pressure feels fine and there aren't any leaks that I've noticed. I'm totally at a loss as to what I could have done wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be before I pull everything off again? Overall I replaced the Clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the clutch fork. Thanks for the help.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

So just an update for anyone who is wondering. It turns out that the disk was not in backwards. After some time of the Jeep sitting and me saving some money for the worst case scenario, I took it to a shop and it turns out that the transfer case linkage was in wrong. Because of this the transfer case was stuck in neutral. I even tried to crawl under and put it in 2 by hand, but it apparently didn't work. So $85 later and the Jeep is up and running again lol. It's safe to say I know what to pay attention to next time I change a clutch.