Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

We will be adventuring around Gorges State Park this time. We will be starting off on Chestnut Mountain Road which ventures around Turkey Pen Gap and turns into Auger Hole Road that eventually leads to Toxaway Game Lands. From there we can either go on Bear Camp Rd or continue down Auger Hole Road. From there on, there are a few options of varying difficulty. Pretty much all roads lead to Lake Jocassee so it'll be a good place to cool off and there are a lot of campsites there.

View Rally Point

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I am just finalizing my on call schedule but looks like I will be able to come out to this. Haven’t been to this area and look forward to meeting up.
Awesome... looks like it might be a close tie between the 4Runner/Tacos & the Heavy Chevys to claim majority rule.

Then there are the weirdos like me & @Jeffrey Dill wheeling in the family station wagons.

Last edited:

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I want to go so bad!! I miss hanging you the fellas but the is working so I’m stuck with the little guy

Reactions: JButtress

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Do we need to reserve a campsite or are there plenty around? Are there bathhouses or are they primitive sites?
The end of the trail is at Lake Jocassee & there are primitive sites. It’s pretty much a first-come-first-served situation the best I can tell. The trail starts in North Carolina Gorges State Park, but it crosses into a WMA controlled by NC Wildlife & then crosses the state line into SC. Here is an email I got from the office at Gorges State Park when I asked about the trail:

Trey,
The Chestnut Mtn Rd Trail is currently open, but it no longer connects to the Musterground Road.
The entrance to Chestnut Mountain Road is located in our park at the Rainbow Falls Trailhead. It sounds like you will be prepared enough, but note that all the vehicles that go down must have 4x4, at least 8 in of clearance and though it is not required, it would also be a good idea to bring a chainsaw.
Chestnut Mtn Road is open to Turkey Pen Gap, which is about 3 miles down, from then the road changes to the Auger Hole Road, which will take you to the Toxaway Game Lands. Then you will come to a fork, and either go down Bear Camp Rd, or continue on the Auger Hole Road.
If you continue on the Auger Hole Road, you will have 2 gates, depending on the time of year that you decide to go, the first one may be open. This gate is controlled by NC Wildlife, and they control it based on the current hunting seasons. If it is open, you can continue until you come to a second gate located at the Iron Bridge at the Horsepasture River. As far as I know, this gate will no longer be open to the public regardless of the season. This is the trail that would of lead on to connect to Musterground Road.
If you turn left onto Bear Camp Road it will take you down an extremely rough off roading trail into South Carolina that leads another gate that has some campsites close to Lake Jocassee.
Either way both trails will be an out and back road, meaning you will not be able to come out on the other end.
If you have any further questions, feel free to call the park office (828) 966-9099 or stop in the visitor center.
Thanks,

Trisha Riddle
Administrative Associate II
N.C. Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources
Gorges State Park
976 Grassy Ridge Road
Sapphire, NC 28774

patricia.riddle@ncparks.gov

I suppose a phone call may be in order now that this has grown into a bigger group. The only other ride I’ve ever tried planning (officially) was up Old NC 105. I knew that area pretty well having been up there countless times. That ride only consisted of 10 rigs w/ only 5 rigs camping. I think we have 14 rigs confirmed as going on this 1. I will try to give them a call this week, but I’m pretty booked at the office. If someone has some time to double check this is a first-come situation at the lake it would be greatly appreciated. If not I will try my best to squeeze it in.

Sorry! I’m usually a flying by the seat of my pants kinda guy. I usually don’t have much of a plan. Typically, I leave the office, pick a direction & go from there. Planning stuff like this isn’t usually in my bag of tricks.

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
If you want an "established" camp ground nearby look at Cherry Hill Recreation Area in SC. It is about 30 minutes away from the Gorges Visitor center in South Carolina. It has hot showers and so on. You can reserve sites online there if that's your thing.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
Not sure if the RSVP button is working on the Rally Point Link...

Where are we meeting? At the visitor center?