Member #

Reactions: Luis Merlo

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Just pulled these up on amazon and holy cow they have some good deals. might be time to jump on a navigation tablet if you're in the market.

Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6"; 16 GB Wifi Tablet (Black) SM-T560NZKUXAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018QAYM7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1V8oybK4XASK8

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"; 8 GB Wifi Tablet (White) SM-T280NZWAXAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ7LQ00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1Y8oybBH1BSNM

Nearly half off on some of these... almost makes me want to buy some for resale!!

I thought they had to have a GPS chip that only tablets with cellular capabilities do....am i wrong about these?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've read that a lot of the GPS chips in the Samsung tablets are not that good. I don't have one so I can't confirm it.
We have the Samsung S2 and the daughter has the Tab A. We haven't had any issues with the GPS on either of them and that's with thousands of miles logged, for what its worth. Would be curious to hear if anyone else has had any issues.

Going to a tablet based GPS has been one of the best decisions we've made. I can finally SEE where we are going and can re-route with ease. Not to mention the added benefit of having all the vehicle diagnostics, media storage, music, and multiple navigation apps all in one location. (and running all at the same time too!)

Reactions: Mike G

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Now the question is what app are you using!
I have back country pro and its pretty good, just takes a long time to add waypoints ... opinions?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Now the question is what app are you using!
I have back country pro and its pretty good, just takes a long time to add waypoints ... opinions?
I've been through several of them, and while they all have their pros and cons, the Gaia app wins hands down. Pair this with their "Pro" subscription and you get a powerful set of route planning tools with a decent selection of additional maps. You'll have to use a desktop to get the most out of their online mapping tools, but it syncs across all your devices.

Do a search for navigation apps on this forum, I think there are a couple threads that go into more detail.

E

expeditionnorth

I have the older samsung tab2 7" with built in GPS, just give it a clear shot to the sky is all I do
in the VT woods etc I have never seen any real issues, the only time was in a hollow with very steep inclines, not even the delorme gps had lock there

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I highly reccomend tablets for navigation and would not spend a lot on one. Just make sure it has GPS. I have an LG 7 I got for free from AT&T with the purchase of phone. I have used several applications, free and paid for and they are great for hiking and backpacking, however I have found for overlanding that google maps is the best navigator. There are few tricks you need to do to make it effective. First off download the area you will be traveling in for offline use. Then plot your route on your PC or Mac and send it to your device. If the trail you are traveling on is not on the map make your own waypoints. Although most off roads, trails and forest routes are now on google maps now, at least in California. Once you you are traveling turn your device to airplane mode and make sure that it is set to GPS only. This has worked exceptionally well for me. The only draw back is you are looking for a Topo map this is not an option. If I feel like I need a Topo I use the paid version of backcountry navigator, Although this always seems like more work. I also use the tablet for ODB2 and have my music on it. It serves several purposes.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I just picked up a Samsung Tab E last night. So today I was testing out the GPS with Google maps and it worked pretty well. Now I just need to buy the Gaia app..

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app
Before purchasing the Gaia app try downloading the area's you travel from Google maps, you can download an area(s) for offlne use, it works really well and it's free.

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

What are you using to mount it to your rig?
I was thinking about getting this Arkon Tablet Mount Holder. I've been checking out other ones and I like this one because the gooseneck is 22" long and the others I've seen are just 18". How about you, what are you going to use?

61KVgVSen6L__SL1030_.jpg

Reactions: giarc1234