scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
I've been using my samsung tablet Tab A 16GB with GAIA (full membership), and Google maps (Offline), as well as Delorme/Garmin Gazeteer books. does anyone have a suggestion for a better tablet? was looking at the Samsung S6 128GB, but $549... kinda pricey, I hate apple products, so please dont...

any good or bad with the garmin overlander GPS? and does anyone use the Garmin InReach Mini as a GPS reciever? have been looking at the Inreach for quite some time, and am basically sold on it, only reservation is if the (spaceX) Starlink system goes up, and is active.

Reactions: LostInThought

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Garmin Inreach+iPad=good; Inreach+android=not as good. Spot+Apple = no good; spot + android=good

Garmin overlanders have poor reviews. A new cellular iPad Without subscription will set you back about $250.00

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I want a Garmin Overlander GPS once the prices drop down low enough to justify the cost of one. Currently use a Samsung that I bought for $60 with no SIM card and I use Back country Navigator. Really pleased with it.

Reactions: M Rose

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
Garmin Inreach+iPad=good; Inreach+android=not as good. Spot+Apple = no good; spot + android=good

Garmin overlanders have poor reviews. A new cellular iPad Without subscription will set you back about $250.00
I had apple phones before (iphone 4 (went to Samsung, havent looked back), and wife had a 6s (she went to android samsung G9+), Daughter has a iphone 11Pro,) but never liked their pricing (overpriced for what they are, when an android/PC unit did that same for much less $$, I also dont care for the apple interface, and software limitations, unless that has changed with itunes being no-more.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When did iTunes become obsolete? I just installed iTunes last week on my new iPad.

I’m not trying to say get an Apple product I’m just saying your best bet trying to connect a sat-com device the spot pairs better with the Android than the Garmin. Also GAIA works way better on the iPad than on Android.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've found that most of your modern tablets work very well. I prefer no less than 32 gig ram and you want the american (GPS) and GLONASS satellites. 128 ram in my opinion is overkill unless you use the tablet for other things.
After that software, where its mounted in the vehicle and external antenna need to be considered.
When I used Android I preferred Back Country Navigator. I switched to Ipad and had to go with GAIA. I like GAIA but still prefer BCN. Too bad they don't make it for apple.
What made me switch was, at the time none of the androids received the GLONASS satellites.

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
I've found that most of your modern tablets work very well. I prefer no less than 32 gig ram and you want the american (GPS) and GLONASS satellites. 128 ram in my opinion is overkill unless you use the tablet for other things.
After that software, where its mounted in the vehicle and external antenna need to be considered.
When I used Android I preferred Back Country Navigator. I switched to Ipad and had to go with GAIA. I like GAIA but still prefer BCN. Too bad they don't make it for apple.
What made me switch was, at the time none of the androids received the GLONASS satellites.
this is why i asked about linking into the InReach Mini. it acts as a reciever, and via bluetooth updates the tablet. although from what I'm reading GloNASS is not available in garmins 2 way communications systems as the iridium, and GLONASS systems interfere with each other. and would need a hardware mod. I also like the idea of having it as a SOS, and text communication with the wife/family when I am out on a solo adventure.

Reactions: SandBadgerFG5

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I've been using my samsung tablet Tab A 16GB with GAIA (full membership), and Google maps (Offline), as well as Delorme/Garmin Gazeteer books. does anyone have a suggestion for a better tablet? was looking at the Samsung S6 128GB, but $549... kinda pricey, I hate apple products, so please dont...

any good or bad with the garmin overlander GPS? and does anyone use the Garmin InReach Mini as a GPS reciever? have been looking at the Inreach for quite some time, and am basically sold on it, only reservation is if the (spaceX) Starlink system goes up, and is active.
I have Waze (city nav), Google Maps (city nav backup), GaiaGPS (full - offroad nav. Gaia backup is a paper map) installed on both my phone and my tablet. The phone screen (~6-inch diag) is fine for city-nav with Waze or GMaps, but for offroad, I by far prefer the 8-inch tablet with GaiaGPS. I like that the 8-inch tablet fits in the pocket of my cargo pants. A large, high resolution display was less important than one that was bright in daylight and auto dimmed after dark.

My tablet is a cellular+wifi version that has a built-in GPS - I've found the built-in GPS to be very accurate for offroad travel, including in areas where the cellular signal is non-existent. (If anyone has experienced otherwise, now is a good time to chime in with the bad make/model!) Wifi is critical for bulk downloads of offline maps. For my use, I really don't want/need a flaky external bluetooth GPS that needs to be powered or charged in addition to the tablet or phone. A built-in GPS that just worked when the tablet has power was a "must have" for me.

Also, I'd suggest is focusing on the memory size. Every map tile of every map layer takes up memory. Some of the layers are particularly memory hungry, especially at full zoom. Checking my devices, I have 103GB of offline GaiaGPS tiles on my tablet (20 maps/layers, covering large pieces of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana) and 2GB on my phone (north central New Mexico only). You can work with fewer layers and/or download only the map tiles needed for a particular route and/or limit the zoom level of the maps/layers you download to match the amount of storage you have available on your device. GaiaGPS recommends at least 32GB of storage for their app and a recent iOS or Android, but based on my own usage, I think a 64GB device would be a better minimum for offline map use - my tablet has 256GB.

As for brands, my first choice is the brand Scott hates (apologies Scott), but FWIW, for anyone else reading this, they've consistently worked well for me - even their "renewed" devices have been rock solid with some of their gear still in use after 10 years - I like that devices made in 2012 are still getting free OS upgrades and my cyber-security acquaintances are pretty vocal about preferring iOS to Android - though not as likely to be a big issue for our community.

My second choice brand is Samsung, my only gripes being that they haven't lasted as long as the first choice gear (yeah, I know. 10 years is ridiculous) and that sometimes a 3-5 year old device wouldn't get an OS upgrade. (I think they've improved on this?)

I've had enough bad history with Dell and Lenovo that I'll never buy their products again. Ever. Poor build quality. Poor Support. Poor service. Toss the Amazon Kindle/Fire into that same landfill. Lots of reviews out there on the Garmin Overlander, but they don't seem very positive - "overpriced" seems to come up in almost every review.

Oh, and a HUGE thumbs-up on OtterBox Defender cases. I haven't managed to break a screen since I started using them.

Second thumbs-up for GaiaGPS with a membership if you aren't already using it. The integration between planning a route on their website and navigating on my tablet/phone is really great. (But I've been beta-testing the new Overland Bound App and I'm **really** looking forward to the map integration! This one will be another "must have" folks!)

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I was just looking for this kind of conversation.
While I do enjoy the Lenovo pads, I guess I’ll look at Samsung. IPads are a bit too expensive for me, perhaps.
You might also look at the prices for "renewed" (refurbished) iPads - the ones I've bought have been as solid as brand new. If you're able to consider cost over expected lifetime, they've been on par with the Samsungs or better for me. YMMV.

Reactions: M Rose

Swag Engineer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Until I left it in a hotel, I really liked my Samsung Tab 3. I ended up upgrading to a Tab S4. The new one might be overkill, and I liked the smaller screen of the older one better. Just make sure it has WiFi and GPS built in. While out exploring, I use mine with BackCountry Navigator and Amazon Music. At home, I also use YouTube and Instagram. With that use, I have not found any limits to the tablet.

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
only limitations I have found is storage space, and with apple there is no expansion unless you run an external HD on wifi, samsung you can easily add 256-512 GB memory card, or with an OTG cable add in a USB stick (properly formatted: Android supports FAT32/Ext3/Ext4 file system. Most of the the latest smartphones and tablets support exFAT file system).... apple forces you to go the expensive route and either pay more up front for a larger memory size (64-128GB), or add a wireless WIFI HDD....

I like to use my tablet for multiple uses from mapping, storage for files, and documents, as well as communications, web surfing, and entertainment. My 7" Galaxy Tab A was sufficient for most of that until i found a need for more RAM (2GB, 3-4 GB preferred) as well as onboard storage 16GB (this one is capable of supporting a 256GB micro SD card, I have a 64GB in it now, however some applications do not allow you to store info on the removable media, luckily I just found out how to change the root storage setting for Gaia)... processing power is not a HUGE concern however when it comes to running GAIA with multiple maps, and tons of data, the mutli threaded octo-cores help a LOT

twb5950

Rank 0

Contributor I

Earth
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Blaney
I have the Garmin Overlander and so far I like using it. It's a typical Garmin product. The hardware is good and the maps and route finding on the device are good. The weakness lies in the supporting software applications but I've found that with every Garmin product I've owned. For whatever reason, they just cannot design a good UI for their supporting applications.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I recently added a Samsung tab a 8 to my airtime plan. I like the lte connectivity, but my lepan 8 inch tablet is better screen size and has a built in compass. I am typing this on my iPad 6th gen. I use everything and for dash nav duties I would not use ipad since the storage is non upgradeable. The Samsung is a great unit for that.