Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Never will I forget many years ago the first time I took my tundra out on the trail only to discover most trails through brush are narrow as hell leaving my rig vulnerable to scratches from brush and who knows what else. The downfall of fullsize. That was quite some time ago and boy did I quickly remind myself how frequently it was about to happen so just try not to cry haha. Perhaps in the future I'll consider a ceramic coating. Anywho, here are some pics from my most recent trip in Eastern Sierra's. EnjoyHLQA9183.JPGSNQD2089.JPGLPKW1692.JPGXRML2243.JPGIAXA0597.JPGDYPT0320.JPGWGKH6402.JPGAMFD9097.JPGEUAL8934.JPGANTA7585.JPGPNZM7256.JPGKXBI3775.JPG

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Awesome build! I have a full size Silverado Crew Cab, and have had some close calls with pinstriping and know that I will just have to get over it when it does happen haha. I'm originally from Los Angeles, and the Eastern Sierra's (Hwy 395 particularly) is by far my favorite spot in the country. The views are just amazing everywhere. I only wish I had discovered Overlanding before moving to Charlotte, NC so I could have explored more out there. Maybe I'll just have to plan a trip out there again and you can show me the sights haha

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Awesome build! I have a full size Silverado Crew Cab, and have had some close calls with pinstriping and know that I will just have to get over it when it does happen haha. I'm originally from Los Angeles, and the Eastern Sierra's (Hwy 395 particularly) is by far my favorite spot in the country. The views are just amazing everywhere. I only wish I had discovered Overlanding before moving to Charlotte, NC so I could have explored more out there. Maybe I'll just have to plan a trip out there again and you can show me the sights haha
Thanks! Your Silverado is sweet too! I'm excited to see your future plans assemble. Too late now for my full size but I highly recommend either a ceramic coating or that new clear wrap shield that is going around now. Sounds interesting. My tundra has been a slow and steady process but I am very happy with the progress. I just got a different set of wheels and bought some 35's (finally) with new gears on order as well as a few other things so definitely big things happening in the near future. Definitely pics to be posted soon. I'm still in La but I have found myself out towards the Eastern Sierra's more often than not lately. It's so beautiful, I definitely can't wait for all the snow to start coming in. How's the overland scene out towards Charlotte? We should definitely meet up and trail whether it"s east or west. I've been meaning to plan a trip to Lake Michigan

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Thanks! Your Silverado is sweet too! I'm excited to see your future plans assemble. Too late now for my full size but I highly recommend either a ceramic coating or that new clear wrap shield that is going around now. Sounds interesting. My tundra has been a slow and steady process but I am very happy with the progress. I just got a different set of wheels and bought some 35's (finally) with new gears on order as well as a few other things so definitely big things happening in the near future. Definitely pics to be posted soon. I'm still in La but I have found myself out towards the Eastern Sierra's more often than not lately. It's so beautiful, I definitely can't wait for all the snow to start coming in. How's the overland scene out towards Charlotte? We should definitely meet up and trail whether it"s east or west. I've been meaning to plan a trip to Lake Michigan
The Overlanding scene here in North Carolina is ok. I've done a trip out to the Outer Banks for driving/camping on the beach which was cool. Most of the overlanding is in the Western part of NC in the National Forests around Great Smokies NP. But I definitely miss the wide open lands of BLM that was out west. We dont have any of that out here.

A few in my group are thinking about doing a trip to New Mexico/Colorado sometime nest August or September

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Trust me its not just full size rigs that get pinstriped on the trails. My colorado and every vehilcle ive owned has had a ton of them, it is and always has been a part of running trails in the woods unless you want to walk em with a machete and clear it out.
I dont mind them because it means that trail isnt heavily traveled they are like breadcrumbs leading you to adventure.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
The Overlanding scene here in North Carolina is ok. I've done a trip out to the Outer Banks for driving/camping on the beach which was cool. Most of the overlanding is in the Western part of NC in the National Forests around Great Smokies NP. But I definitely miss the wide open lands of BLM that was out west. We dont have any of that out here.

A few in my group are thinking about doing a trip to New Mexico/Colorado sometime nest August or September
Oh man I would love to trail Colorado. I've never been but everything looks so open and beautiful. I got hooked when I started seeing "weekenderlander" from Last Line of Defense's videos on YT. There's certainly much to appreciate at the BLM's out here. Nice open space to ride, drive and/or shoot

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Trust me its not just full size rigs that get pinstriped on the trails. My colorado and every vehilcle ive owned has had a ton of them, it is and always has been a part of running trails in the woods unless you want to walk em with a machete and clear it out.
I dont mind them because it means that trail isnt heavily traveled they are like breadcrumbs leading you to adventure.
Certainly battle scars earned, though I still cringe at the sound of paint being torn away haha. Sometimes I feel like its just my luck. Keep calm and trail on!

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
Any particular trails you liked? I live in Tx, but I have family in Tahoe. My favorite drive is along 395, but never knew where to start.
Next year I'd like to bring my 18" Sierra.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Any particular trails you liked? I live in Tx, but I have family in Tahoe. My favorite drive is along 395, but never knew where to start.
Next year I'd like to bring my 18" Sierra.
Well, it was actually my first time at this particular trail (Laurel Lakes) but I absolutely loved it. I definitely recommend it, the beauty is the trail "requires" high clearance vehicles, but honestly any midsize or larger vehicle will do. Plenty of people have done it on factory suspension. I will however, highly recommend under armor even before a lift if you don't already have one. Also, full sized spare is a must. a lot of those big boulders and even smaller rocks can be very sharp. I just recently changed my wheels and tires (new post coming soon) for a different stance and better offroad performance but upon doing so I noticed some sidewall damage to one of my tires. Fortunately, it wasn't deep enough to leak air. I noticed that and each rim was slightly kissed by rocks at one point or another. Merely minor cosmetic damage but nothing to worry unless that sort of thing is scarring which I would totally understand. I'd rather it be a rock on a trail than curb rash. To think those wheels remained untouched until that trip is nothing short of a miracle haha. Anyway, back to topic. I apologize for the segue. I enjoyed that trail very much, Berdoo Canyon Road in Joshua Tree is also a fun one that is hardly difficult. Just long. I believe that took nearly five or six hours my first time. Then again that may have included a stop to brew a cup or two along the way. There was one portion of the trail in which having a full size truck proved a tad difficult but I came out of it unscathed and that's saying something considering the first time I did it, my tundra was all stock if I'm not mistaken. Corral Canyon/Cleveland National Forest in San Diego is also a great place but in my opinion certain parts are more suitable for vehicles without beds sticking out. There are certainly no shortage of beauties here. I haven't personally been on any trail closer to Tahoe but I will be driving there for New Years to celebrate, snow board, and hopefully trail. If you haven't made your way here by then I'll definitely share whatever experiences I gain there. Of course, anyone here who does have such experience in more than welcome to chime in!

Happy Trails

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
Well, it was actually my first time at this particular trail (Laurel Lakes) but I absolutely loved it. I definitely recommend it, the beauty is the trail "requires" high clearance vehicles, but honestly any midsize or larger vehicle will do. Plenty of people have done it on factory suspension. I will however, highly recommend under armor even before a lift if you don't already have one. Also, full sized spare is a must. a lot of those big boulders and even smaller rocks can be very sharp. I just recently changed my wheels and tires (new post coming soon) for a different stance and better offroad performance but upon doing so I noticed some sidewall damage to one of my tires. Fortunately, it wasn't deep enough to leak air. I noticed that and each rim was slightly kissed by rocks at one point or another. Merely minor cosmetic damage but nothing to worry unless that sort of thing is scarring which I would totally understand. I'd rather it be a rock on a trail than curb rash. To think those wheels remained untouched until that trip is nothing short of a miracle haha. Anyway, back to topic. I apologize for the segue. I enjoyed that trail very much, Berdoo Canyon Road in Joshua Tree is also a fun one that is hardly difficult. Just long. I believe that took nearly five or six hours my first time. Then again that may have included a stop to brew a cup or two along the way. There was one portion of the trail in which having a full size truck proved a tad difficult but I came out of it unscathed and that's saying something considering the first time I did it, my tundra was all stock if I'm not mistaken. Corral Canyon/Cleveland National Forest in San Diego is also a great place but in my opinion certain parts are more suitable for vehicles without beds sticking out. There are certainly no shortage of beauties here. I haven't personally been on any trail closer to Tahoe but I will be driving there for New Years to celebrate, snow board, and hopefully trail. If you haven't made your way here by then I'll definitely share whatever experiences I gain there. Of course, anyone here who does have such experience in more than welcome to chime in!

Happy Trails
Thanks Kevin, that helps a lot. My 18' Sierra is pretty much stock this moment other than a leveling kit and slightly larger ATs. I plan on putting on King shocks and aftermarket UCAs, which was already in the works since the stock shocks can't control the movement well on undulating country roads. The level kit brings it up to 2" higher in the front, but I thinking with the Kings I can ditch the blocks in the kit and go up to 3" higher. Going to replace the useless plastic "skid plates" with metal ones and I already have an extra set of wheels so I was going to look at a set of 33" BFG KM3 or something similar for trips. I'd like to do a new bumper, but I can't find any that don't look hideous for the sierra. To be honest if we really get into it, i'd probably build up a jeep or something. I love fullsize trucks, but it seems unless you want to make major modifications or deal with body damage, they aren't always the best rigs when trails get tight.
We might make it up in January, but it would be more Ski trip and would have a rental car, probably won't be until next summer until we are ready to explore.
I've spent a lot of time MTBing in and around tahoe and mammoth, but always wanted to explore trails and camp out in remote places.
Your post helps a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toywolf

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Thanks Kevin, that helps a lot. My 18' Sierra is pretty much stock this moment other than a leveling kit and slightly larger ATs. I plan on putting on King shocks and aftermarket UCAs, which was already in the works since the stock shocks can't control the movement well on undulating country roads. We go our The level kit brings it up to 2" higher in the front, but I thinking with the Kings I can ditch the blocks in the kit and go up to 3" higher. Going to replace the useless plastic "skid plates" with metal ones and I already have an extra set of wheels so I was going to look at a set of 33" BFG KM3 or something similar for trips. I'd like to do a new bumper, but I can't find any that don't look hideous for the sierra. To be honest if we really get into it, i'd probably build up a jeep or something. I love fullsize trucks, but it seems unless you want to make major modifications or deal with body damage, they aren't always the best rigs when trails get tight.
We might make it up in January, but it would be more Ski trip and would have a rental car, probably won't be until next summer until we are ready to explore.
I've spent a lot of time MTBing in and around tahoe and mammoth, but always wanted to explore trails and camp out in remote places.
Your post helps a lot.
I'm glad I could be of service! So for my last stay in mammoth just this last weekend, my main purpose was opening weekend for the snow resort so I didn't really camp the way I wanted. I ended up reserving a tent site at a local RV campground the night before since everything else was fully booked and then staying at the resort for the remainder of the weekend. It hurt having to choose between the snow and the multiple rally points occurring the same weekend. Sorry folks, I'll just have to catch you on the next! The snow was calling precious haha. As much as I love pickups, I do agree with your thought about saving the greater investments for a jeep or something of that nature. They're just so much more nimble in tight spaces and have so much more travel since they aren't tied down by a rack and pinion, my only concern is flip factor. I personally would love to build an old land cruiser some day.

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
I'm glad I could be of service! So for my last stay in mammoth just this last weekend, my main purpose was opening weekend for the snow resort so I didn't really camp the way I wanted. I ended up reserving a tent site at a local RV campground the night before since everything else was fully booked and then staying at the resort for the remainder of the weekend. It hurt having to choose between the snow and the multiple rally points occurring the same weekend. Sorry folks, I'll just have to catch you on the next! The snow was calling precious haha. As much as I love pickups, I do agree with your thought about saving the greater investments for a jeep or something of that nature. They're just so much more nimble in tight spaces and have so much more travel since they aren't tied down by a rack and pinion, my only concern is flip factor. I personally would love to build an old land cruiser some day.
Must say i'm pretty Jealous, I love the area, but generally only get 1 week in the winter and a few weeks in the summer out there. Having the option to camp in the winter would be nice, 2017/2018 winter we went but had to pay out the wazoo for lodging due to some event in mammoth. If the road is open, Mammoth Scenic loop seems to have a ton of primitive camp sites along the road, we always see people along there.
By flip factor do you mean actually rolling it, or selling it?

To be honest my only real hesitation to going out and buying a Wrangler, Gladiator, 4 runner, Tacoma, Colorado, or similar is the lack of power. Last couple trips to the Sierras we had a Colorado as a rental car, it did perfectly fine with the V6, but load it up with 500 lbs of gear, a trailer, and larger wheels and tires and I could see major disappointment. So anything i'm going to look at I'd like to V8 swap, Which narrows it down to the Jeep line or Colorado. I'm looking forward to doing the project myself, but before I sink the cash, got to make sure the Wife is really into it.

thanks again, sorry to hijack the thread.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Never will I forget many years ago the first time I took my tundra out on the trail only to discover most trails through brush are narrow as hell leaving my rig vulnerable to scratches from brush and who knows what else. The downfall of fullsize. That was quite some time ago and boy did I quickly remind myself how frequently it was about to happen so just try not to cry haha. Perhaps in the future I'll consider a ceramic coating. Anywho, here are some pics from my most recent trip in Eastern Sierra's. EnjoyView attachment 122537View attachment 122520View attachment 122521View attachment 122522View attachment 122525View attachment 122527View attachment 122528View attachment 122529View attachment 122530View attachment 122531View attachment 122532View attachment 122536
FANTASTIC pictures. I need to get out towards the Eastern Sierra's sometime soon. I have no idea where to go for trials like that though and good quiet dispersed camping. Do you mind sharing coords for the trail head or just a general area?

Reactions: Toywolf

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Must say i'm pretty Jealous, I love the area, but generally only get 1 week in the winter and a few weeks in the summer out there. Having the option to camp in the winter would be nice, 2017/2018 winter we went but had to pay out the wazoo for lodging due to some event in mammoth. If the road is open, Mammoth Scenic loop seems to have a ton of primitive camp sites along the road, we always see people along there.
By flip factor do you mean actually rolling it, or selling it?

To be honest my only real hesitation to going out and buying a Wrangler, Gladiator, 4 runner, Tacoma, Colorado, or similar is the lack of power. Last couple trips to the Sierras we had a Colorado as a rental car, it did perfectly fine with the V6, but load it up with 500 lbs of gear, a trailer, and larger wheels and tires and I could see major disappointment. So anything i'm going to look at I'd like to V8 swap, Which narrows it down to the Jeep line or Colorado. I'm looking forward to doing the project myself, but before I sink the cash, got to make sure the Wife is really into it.

thanks again, sorry to hijack the thread.
No worries! First off, I should have specified by flip factor I was referring to rolling it. I guess it happens with every platform but it just hovers in the back of my mind being more at-risk for a jeep or other suv that doesn't have as wide a track. As far as the lack of power I can totally understand that. My answer always becomes, how is it driven most often? If you hit a lot of highway miles and higher speeds frequently then it's probably not a bad thing to consider going with a bigger engine. However, if you're generally under 65mph and find yourself more so out on the trails, consider investing into a more suitable gear ratio to compensate for the lack of power. It would certainly be cheaper than an engine swap but of course the swap would have plenty more bragging rights haha. My buddy had a 95 4runner 5 spd that was super clean but he would constantly complain about it being a 2.7L so naturally I told him the same thing. He dabbled with the idea of swapping it which I was supportive either way but long story short he didn't want to deal with it and ended up trading it. It wasn't long before he quickly regretted that decision and gave me permission to constantly give him shit for getting rid of it and not listen to me. To this day I sent him pictures of random ones I find on the road that have similar set ups as his.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
FANTASTIC pictures. I need to get out towards the Eastern Sierra's sometime soon. I have no idea where to go for trials like that though and good quiet dispersed camping. Do you mind sharing coords for the trail head or just a general area?
Thank you! Also, absolutely I'm happy to share. It starts off somewhere around here; 37.62266815, -118.9085818 and my actual site I set up camp if I'm not mistaken, was 37.576389, -118.913094 It's the Laurel lakes OHV trails in Mammoth.
Happy Trails!

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
No worries! First off, I should have specified by flip factor I was referring to rolling it. I guess it happens with every platform but it just hovers in the back of my mind being more at-risk for a jeep or other suv that doesn't have as wide a track. As far as the lack of power I can totally understand that. My answer always becomes, how is it driven most often? If you hit a lot of highway miles and higher speeds frequently then it's probably not a bad thing to consider going with a bigger engine. However, if you're generally under 65mph and find yourself more so out on the trails, consider investing into a more suitable gear ratio to compensate for the lack of power. It would certainly be cheaper than an engine swap but of course the swap would have plenty more bragging rights haha. My buddy had a 95 4runner 5 spd that was super clean but he would constantly complain about it being a 2.7L so naturally I told him the same thing. He dabbled with the idea of swapping it which I was supportive either way but long story short he didn't want to deal with it and ended up trading it. It wasn't long before he quickly regretted that decision and gave me permission to constantly give him shit for getting rid of it and not listen to me. To this day I sent him pictures of random ones I find on the road that have similar set ups as his.
Understood, yeah make sense, if I go the jeep/midsize truck route it would be the first vehicle I've had with positive offset aftermarket wheels for that reason.
Being from South Tx (Houston) unless I want to overland at the beach or go mudding (been there done that on both fronts) it will take hours of driving to get anywhere interesting. In full disclosure I'm a bit of a speed and power junkie; track weekends, dd with 600+hp stock, and etc. So the idea of being out on the open road without the power to pass, brakes to stop in an emergency, or tires that are suitable for our intended plans just doesn't jive well. Not to mention if I can find an excuse to do a build project with my son, i'll take it. A gear swap is definitely in the plan, just to get the RPMs in a normal range. My current project vehicle is an 01 Silverado that i'm fixing up for my side business. It has around the same power to weight as a Tacoma or Wrangler and above 75 it is just painful trying to pass people and that is at sea level.
The older vehicles are great, especially for overlanding, just not so much on the power side. To be honest my ideal build would be a 04-06 tahoe or suburban with mild lift, built 6.0 swap, and etc. But I know my wife isn't going to go for that. That build goes against everything I said about fullsize earlier, but I wouldn't be as concerned about body damage.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Thank you! Also, absolutely I'm happy to share. It starts off somewhere around here; 37.62266815, -118.9085818 and my actual site I set up camp if I'm not mistaken, was 37.576389, -118.913094 It's the Laurel lakes OHV trails in Mammoth.
Happy Trails!
I TRULY appreciate it! Thank you.