Nashville meet up

• HTML tutorial

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Are you working on a m416 on you're driveway? I think I drive by your house everyday. If that's you I pointed out it out the other day to my fiancée.

Reactions: Benjisaurus

Benjisaurus

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairview, Tennessee
Member #

Are you working on a m416 on you're driveway? I think I drive by your house everyday. If that's you I pointed out it out the other day to my fiancée.
Right on, man! It's actually an M101A2, but close. My wife and I have five kids, so it was going take something slightly larger than the M416 for an adventure trailer.

Tim D

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nashville
Member #

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'm currently in the initial build phase of my camp trailer. I'm restoring a custom built 4'x6.5' trailer my grandfather built 30+ years ago. I just picked up my RTT over the weekend. Got a great deal on a CVT Mt. Rainer extended pioneer. I'm tentatively dropping the trailer off next Monday for the custom height adjustable cargo rack for the RTT to be built. From there, I'll be replacing the axle/hubs with a new Dexter unit with 6 lug hubs, to match my 05 Tahoe tow vehicle, and electric brakes with parking brake. Going to find a similar or matching wheel and run a 30ish" tall tire.

I'd be happy to come out for a meet/greet especially if I have the trailer ready. I'll have the first phase completed by April for my first family outing we're planning. Heading down to Chattanooga to run a 5k trail run, running with Sasquatch.

Reactions: Teague

Benjisaurus

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairview, Tennessee
Member #

I'm currently in the initial build phase of my camp trailer. I'm restoring a custom built 4'x6.5' trailer my grandfather built 30+ years ago. I just picked up my RTT over the weekend. Got a great deal on a CVT Mt. Rainer extended pioneer. I'm tentatively dropping the trailer off next Monday for the custom height adjustable cargo rack for the RTT to be built. From there, I'll be replacing the axle/hub's with a new Dexter unit with 6 lug hub's, to match my tow vehicle, 05 Tahoe and electric brakes with parking brake. Going to find a similar or matching wheel and run a 30ish" tall tire.

I'd be happy to come out for a meet/greet especially if I have the trailer ready. I'll have the first phase completed by April for my first family outing we're planning. Heading down to Chattanooga to run a 5k trail run, running with Sasquatch.
I'd love to meet up with you; I'm in the middle of a trailer build too! And M101A2 with 3/4 ton axles and hydraulic surge brakes that saw some action in Iraq in the early 90's. I'm mating it to a Steelweld utility top with rear barn doors. I just picked up a Freespirit Recreation M55 RTT for my Landcruiser, and a FSR Extreme Large RTT for the trailer. I'd love to check out your trailer ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JKChad

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

fa
I'm currently in the initial build phase of my camp trailer. I'm restoring a custom built 4'x6.5' trailer my grandfather built 30+ years ago. I just picked up my RTT over the weekend. Got a great deal on a CVT Mt. Rainer extended pioneer. I'm tentatively dropping the trailer off next Monday for the custom height adjustable cargo rack for the RTT to be built. From there, I'll be replacing the axle/hubs with a new Dexter unit with 6 lug hubs, to match my 05 Tahoe tow vehicle, and electric brakes with parking brake. Going to find a similar or matching wheel and run a 30ish" tall tire.

I was really against the Trailer idea when I first looked into overlanding. I can already see that I will probably end up with one especially with two kids. I'm really interested to see where this goes for you. How much did you pay for the trailer as is if you don't mind me asking.

Benjisaurus

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairview, Tennessee
Member #

fa

I was really against the Trailer idea when I first looked into overlanding. I can already see that I will probably end up with one especially with two kids. I'm really interested to see where this goes for you. How much did you pay for the trailer as is if you don't mind me asking.
Man, youve got a great size trailer...loads of potential. I understand not wanting to pull a trailer. We have five kids, which leave about 2 cubic feet of storage space in the back of an FJ80, and moving all our storage weight to the roof started feeling sketchy when a trail leaned too far side to side, so the trailer was the next course of action...I am so impressed at how the M101A2 tracks. It's probably not as good on the sharp switchbacks as an M416, but I'm more than happy. I got this trailer, with only minor surface rust areas, for $750.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

fa

I wasn't planning to start out the RTT usage on a trailer, but some good points were brought up to me about the disadvantages of having the RTT on your vehicle. I'll be camping with my wife and son, currently 15 months old. Having to break down camp every time we might need to leave camp won't fly with my wife. We want to be able to set up camp and come and go as we want/need. I won't be doing much/if any kind of primitive camping initially, not until we get the basics figured out for camping with a toddler. So, i'll be sticking to normal campgrounds with power/water/bath house in the beginning. Long term, i will definitely be building the trailer to be as self sufficient as possible. So, onboard water, cooking fuel, power with solar charging, are all in the works.

As for cost, I was bless to have the trailer given to me by my dad. This trailer was built by my Grandfather 30+ years ago. It was built very solid with 2x4 thick wall C channel steel and 1/4" plate aluminum for the vertical walls and floor. I'm going to be restoring the trailer and having a custom frame plate made to pay respects to my grandfather. He was a machinist by trade and built some amazing woodworking pieces and also built and restored clocks as a hobby. I'll likely start an intro thread and a build thread soon.

Reactions: Benjisaurus

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

This is awesome!! Guys I won't be able to make anything sooner than my June date as to that's when I move back to Nashville TN. I'll probably be moving back to the SpringHill/ Thompson Station area but definitely looking at meeting and hooking up with you all for exploring and camping. It will be the wifey my two boys 10 and 7 and I. Looking forward to this and just getting back to TN. [emoji106][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk