"Nanuuq" my Land Rover Discovery 2 diesel swap, ...forever a project!

• HTML tutorial

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Sounds great. Plenty of power and range. You are going to love the range. Im a horsepower junkie but when I swapped my truck the FE put a smile on my face as much as anything. 700 miles between tanks is more exciting than it sounds.

Reactions: Tinker

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Sounds great. Plenty of power and range. You are going to love the range. Im a horsepower junkie but when I swapped my truck the FE put a smile on my face as much as anything. 700 miles between tanks is more exciting than it sounds.
And it's potential with inexpensive mods is like nothing I've wrenched on before :D Getting it to triple the torque just off idle PLUS triple the fuel range... woah. I can only imagine, & looking forward to putting everything to the test!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

top work!
so was the runaway a sticky governor?
Thanks!

I forgot I didn't go into all the fine detail in this thread, so if anyone's looking for way more in-depth information on my 4-cylinder Cummins build specifically, then check out this thread here >>> www.4btswaps.com/threads/100657/

But thankfully it wasn't a real runaway since the governor still cut the fuel up at the top of the RPM range... could've been ugly if it didn't!

So the failure was a broken "fulcrum lever" which is the connection between the external throttle lever & the internal fueling / governor controls:

It's something I've been told by a lot of experts is uncommon to fail... bad luck, but went about as good as it could have since I was also informed that the failure usually ends in the pump housings exploding. The governor's flyweights smacked that broken piece of the lever, which could've been fixed, but I didn't feel it was worth the risk given how critical that assembly is to controlling the RPM. Notice the springs bent at a wild angle here, they're meant to be straight up & perpendicular to the shaft from this view:

It was super lucky that during all this quarantine stuff that I was able to source the parts from a local diesel pump shop so quickly & only cost me ~$300. These same parts new from Bosch were ~$1000 with weeks waiting, & a whole new pump is +$3000. Here are all the brand new used parts I put back in to get it running a few days later:

Was a bummer, but I learned SO MUCH about how a mechanical injection pump works!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks!

I forgot I didn't go into all the fine detail in this thread, so if anyone's looking for way more in-depth information on my 4-cylinder Cummins build specifically, then check out this thread here >>> www.4btswaps.com/threads/100657/

But thankfully it wasn't a real runaway since the governor still cut the fuel up at the top of the RPM range... could've been ugly if it didn't!

So the failure was a broken "fulcrum lever" which is the connection between the external throttle lever & the internal fueling / governor controls:

It's something I've been told by a lot of experts is uncommon to fail... bad luck, but went about as good as it could have since I was also informed that the failure usually ends in the pump housings exploding. The governor's flyweights smacked that broken piece of the lever, which could've been fixed, but I didn't feel it was worth the risk given how critical that assembly is to controlling the RPM. Notice the springs bent at a wild angle here, they're meant to be straight up & perpendicular to the shaft from this view:

It was super lucky that during all this quarantine stuff that I was able to source the parts from a local diesel pump shop so quickly & only cost me ~$300. These same parts new from Bosch were ~$1000 with weeks waiting, & a whole new pump is +$3000. Here are all the brand new used parts I put back in to get it running a few days later:

Was a bummer, but I learned SO MUCH about how a mechanical injection pump works!
I don't now how you knew where to look for the problem. It's pretty obvious once you opened that thing up. Thumbs up for your mechanical abilities on all this project.

Reactions: Tinker

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Kudos for tackling that yourself! There's all sorts of mechanical witchcraft spinning around inside of pumps lol
So pump fix and extended test drive vid next?
There sure is! Anyone watching me from a distance could've easily guessed I was disarming a bomb based on my body language when I started into that governor housing :fearful:

I ended up having to make a few special tools to get all the way thru the disassembly, but it was either make it now or wait, so I made myself a T30 offset "wrench" for the difficult to reach bolt between the pump body + engine block, & a slotted socket for the governor flyweight nut:

Yes! The pump repair & much more driving footage will be next up :)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cant wait!
Ive just restarted rebuilding my Cummins 90, need to get these
suspension mounts in the right spot first then I can sling the 6BT cummins back in and see where she sits!
Love seeing all the cardboard templets laying on the floor. LOL
Looks like a really nice build you have going. If I were your neighbor I would be right in the middle helping you !

TheBigPurpleOne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Love seeing all the cardboard templets laying on the floor. LOL
Looks like a really nice build you have going. If I were your neighbor I would be right in the middle helping you !
Haha those aren't cardboard, they are a steel mount kit I got but didnt like so designed my own :)
I keep putting my progress on the Cummins Land Rover Group on facebook (Cummins Land Rover Group), come join and follow all sorts of builds on there (save interrupting Tinkers thread)

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Cant wait!
Ive just restarted rebuilding my Cummins 90, need to get these
suspension mounts in the right spot first then I can sling the 6BT cummins back in and see where she sits!
Awesome :D That looks like some proper work you have going there! Sounds like my kinda group too, going to have a look for sure.

TheBigPurpleOne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Awesome :D That looks like some proper work you have going there! Sounds like my kinda group too, going to have a look for sure.
We have been following your progress on the group, your videos have featured a few times!
Plenty of technical discussion on there but best having a thick skin and open mind at times, some things come across more abrupt than intended :laughing::laughing:

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

We have been following your progress on the group, your videos have featured a few times!
Plenty of technical discussion on there but best having a thick skin and open mind at times, some things come across more abrupt than intended :laughing::laughing:
It's important to have a good balance of technical talk & sh*t talk :sunglasses:

Finally putting some miles on the swap!

Taking it easy on it for now, especially after the last run got a bit out of control, & just until I get a few more gauges installed (Tacho, EGT, Boost etc)

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Haaaaa, that sound!!!!!
How fast were you going? Is the gearing OK? For sure EGT. That is what I drive by.
Congrats mate!!!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Haaaaa, that sound!!!!!
How fast were you going? Is the gearing OK? For sure EGT. That is what I drive by.
Congrats mate!!!
The sounds coming out of this thing now make it super hard to not look like a doofus with a huge grin pasted on everywhere I've been driving it haha!

Yeah, gearing seems right on point up to about 60mph so far. I was taking it REAL easy on it (and honestly kinda shifting like crap, because diesel noob) since I was nervous the "sticky throttle" issue might rear it's ugly head at any moment. Took an hour of smooth running before I relaxed & started to push it a bit more. I'm holding off on really hammering on it, or testing highway speeds, at least until I get the EGT + Boost + Speedo gauges installed so I can monitor + tune more carefully. Until then I'm sticking with sunday drive mode, especially with how conspicuous the rig looks & hearing about people a few towns over getting harassed for "non essential" driving.

Nothing to see here officer.... just taking my tractor a field over to sling fertilizer.... play it cool! :sunglasses:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
The sounds coming out of this thing now make it super hard to not look like a doofus with a huge grin pasted on everywhere I've been driving it haha!

Yeah, gearing seems right on point up to about 60mph so far. I was taking it REAL easy on it (and honestly kinda shifting like crap, because diesel noob) since I was nervous the "sticky throttle" issue might rear it's ugly head at any moment. Took an hour of smooth running before I relaxed & started to push it a bit more. I'm holding off on really hammering on it, or testing highway speeds, at least until I get the EGT + Boost + Speedo gauges installed so I can monitor + tune more carefully. Until then I'm sticking with sunday drive mode, especially with how conspicuous the rig looks & hearing about people a few towns over getting harassed for "non essential" driving.

Nothing to see here officer.... just taking my tractor a field over to sling fertilizer.... play it cool! :sunglasses:
Tinker hi,

I meant to ask you. Most people are interested in cost of a project like this. I ran a tab while I was building the Landcruiser and posted everything in my blog. The drivetrain was expensive but because of the nature of the project, Toyota diesel parts are mostly OEM or Australian aftermarket so freight added to cost. I get notes all the time on the rig with people wanting to buy the car. I say labor is about $250000, parts are free. But, seriously would be interesting to see the cost when the project is done.

Cheers and keep inspiring us.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Tinker hi,

I meant to ask you. Most people are interested in cost of a project like this. I ran a tab while I was building the Landcruiser and posted everything in my blog. The drivetrain was expensive but because of the nature of the project, Toyota diesel parts are mostly OEM or Australian aftermarket so freight added to cost. I get notes all the time on the rig with people wanting to buy the car. I say labor is about $250000, parts are free. But, seriously would be interesting to see the cost when the project is done.

Cheers and keep inspiring us.
My original plan way back was to just toss the grubby 4BT in & mate it to my automatic... but when I decided to go whole hog on the build is when I started to track costs. I originally planned for $5,000 to just get the dirty stock 4BT in there, so after some number crunching I updated the budget plan for $10,000 to refresh the engine, add a manual trans, upgrade turbo, re-do all electrics, & upgrade every supporting system that made sense with the upgrades. So far I've found I was pretty close in my estimates, because I made a few deals here 'n there, but also made a few costly mistakes/had unforeseen issues, so a lot of the budgeting balanced out in the end. I have a few more relatively inexpensive mods to add, head studs + injectors, but for the most part everything is bought & paid for at this point aside from maybe a bit more on the consumables side of things. As of typing this I'll be within a few hundred of my budget estimate if I buy anymore "hard parts". Also I don't know if it's sensible or not to include the money recouped from selling no-longer-needed Rover parts, but I have a fair bit of parting out to do now & I'm confident it's worth well north of $1,000 once I put the time into splitting everything apart.

TL;DR = My budget is $10,000 for the whole powertrain & full chassis rewire builds. All in parts + materials + consumables, since all labor was myself & friend's. All parts are purchased, & I've now nearly reached my budget cap. I have $1,000+ in unneeded Rover parts to sell though.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It's important to have a good balance of technical talk & sh*t talk :sunglasses:

Finally putting some miles on the swap!

Taking it easy on it for now, especially after the last run got a bit out of control, & just until I get a few more gauges installed (Tacho, EGT, Boost etc)

This is awesome ! Cant say more other than good job fellow OB member.

Reactions: Joso1122

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the video! Great built! Wow, the sound of this engine is awesome!

I like the self made tools!

Have fun and enjoy!

Cheers,
Bjoern