"Nanuuq" my Land Rover Discovery 2 diesel swap, ...forever a project!

• HTML tutorial

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Almost forgot to share the video of the all the detail work on that custom gauge cluster I've built (much more than just these images here)

Mate, your craftsmanship is amazing. Truly inspiring.

Do you still have the cabinets and bed built in the back?

Reactions: Tinker

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hey thanks! And yep that's all still installed (looking forward to a version2 made of aluminum)
I did a metal combo version. Doors are 6061-t6 and cabinets sheet metal and 1/2" square tube. All powder coated GR-01 navy gray. It's cheap, very easy to work with (MIG) and really light. Drawers are aluminum from the flight attendant cart with soft close guides. It bolts to the floor instead of the two rows of seats in the back. Highly recommended. I wrote a blog on the build on this forum.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I did a metal combo version. Doors are 6061-t6 and cabinets sheet metal and 1/2" square tube. All powder coated GR-01 navy gray. It's cheap, very easy to work with (MIG) and really light. Drawers are aluminum from the flight attendant cart with soft close guides. It bolts to the floor instead of the two rows of seats in the back. Highly recommended. I wrote a blog on the build on this forum.
I'll be checking that out, because it sounds a bit like what I'm hoping to build. I forget what this (way overbuilt) marine plywood version weighs, but I feel confident saying the aluminum version could easily be 1/3 to 1/4 the weight.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
I'll be checking that out, because it sounds a bit like what I'm hoping to build. I forget what this (way overbuilt) marine plywood version weighs, but I feel confident saying the aluminum version could easily be 1/3 to 1/4 the weight.
On top of weight there is issue with 'real estate'. I like the 1/2" steel because it is the smallest package with enough strength. Most people use 8020 which adds up to unused space. instead of 1/2" it's 1" and if you have 4 beams across, your wall thickness add up 4 inches instead of 2 with the steel.

Cheers mate!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

On top of weight there is issue with 'real estate'. I like the 1/2" steel because it is the smallest package with enough strength. Most people use 8020 which adds up to unused space. instead of 1/2" it's 1" and if you have 4 beams across, your wall thickness add up 4 inches instead of 2 with the steel.

Cheers mate!
Absolutely! And it is a very tight space for me (at 6') even with what I have now, so taking advantage of panel thickness is as near as big a factor as weight is for the next iteration. And good grief did your build thread give me SO many ideas... thanks so much for sharing all your efforts on that & well done!

Reactions: Ob1

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Awesome build, I think every disco owner wishes they could ditch the rover engine and do something like this. If I ever spot your rig in the UP I'm definitely giving you a beer.
Thanks :) The whole project has been an idea I've had brewing since ~2005 and was always a toss up between starting with a Disco or FZJ80 chassis, but glad I went with the less commonly swapped Disco... because I like a good challenge :sunglasses:

Reactions: k9sar

Hysteria

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks :) The whole project has been an idea I've had brewing since ~2005 and was always a toss up between starting with a Disco or FZJ80 chassis, but glad I went with the less commonly swapped Disco... because I like a good challenge :sunglasses:
I can't decide if I love or hate mine, but either way I'm glad it's not another Jeep. Kudos to you for putting in the work and making something with some character!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Well I sure didn't expect it to turn out quite like THIS... it actually has a hood again! :D

Clearancing for the turbo / exhaust / intake was a given, but a few days ago I would've bet money that even the valve covers would need cutting thru to clear the hood:

Lost track of how many times I had to hoist the hood up on there to get the fit right, but thankful the hood's aluminum! The exhaust stack & the exposed parts are likely just temporary, although I'm not mad at how it looks for now. Well... aside from the wiper juice squirter right in the danger zone :laughing:

I still have an interesting vintage inspired idea for properly covering the parts sticking thru, and maybe even keep the vintage theme going with a hood mounted gauge. Not a bad view from inside... well maybe it would be better if I cleaned all the soot from the exhaust off the glass haha!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

With your skills, I'm sure you can make a "cowl" type hood to cover everything?

I'm not saying it looks cool as it is, cuz it does.
That's the plan :) I have an idea for a vintage style cowl with some active elements that could be a fun project.

It's funny that I've reached the stage of the project where putting it back together is making me second guess which looks better haha!

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

That's the plan :) I have an idea for a vintage style cowl with some active elements that could be a fun project.

It's funny that I've reached the stage of the project where putting it back together is making me second guess which looks better haha!
I'm just happy it's running! Projects like this sometimes don't get finished. It's looking dope. I would love to see it in person next time I'm in Michigan.

magikmarti

Rank I

Contributor III

Arizona
Just spent two days going through this entire build and I have to echo everybody on here, amazing and hats off to the skill it determination it must have taken to get here. I got to the last page and went to click the next button but it's not there! I'm using this thread as inspiration to continue on my GMC Jimmy build. Also, loving the Subaru. Got a 2002 5 door in blue I plan on keeping for a loong while. Can't wait to see updates!

LRdisco1

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Doyle
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Haven't done a build thread on a forum in a loooong time, but here goes. I'll try to catch up the project to the current state. Back in late 2014, after more than a year long search I spotted an unmodified low-mile 2002 Land Rover Discovery 2 a few states away. I'd often pondered about a grandiose plan to build myself a do-anything offroader + home on wheels. And it seemed I finally found a platform to set the idea in motion!

~ Build breakdown & plans below ~

Here's a shot of it halfway built-up (lifted, camper, cargo, etc) bombing around the remote limestone plains of Drummond Island, over towards Canada, off the eastern shores of Michigan's Upper Peninsula:

And here it is in stock form! A clean slate to start with that I rescued from Chicago, only 70,000 unmodified miles & the most basic trim package I could find after over a year of hunting:

It's currently in full fledged build-mode to receive a big powertrain swap, from the classically unreliable little 4.0L Rover V8 (that produced at best 188HP / 250TQ / and 8-10MPG), to an upgraded turbo diesel Cummins 4-cylinder engine + 5-speed manual transmission + divorced transfer case (that I'm expecting to easily produce 225-250HP / 550-650TQ / and 20-25MPG)

UPGRADES:
Powerplant:

- Engine = Cummins 3.9L "mechanical" diesel 4-cylinder
- Mods = KDP fix, HD valve springs, 6BT oil filter plate & grid heater
- Boost = Super HX30W turbo on a cut 6BT manifold, stock injectors
- Injection = P-Pump with extra timing, ground fuel plate, 4k governor
- Fueling = Custom system, in-tank pump deleted, all stainless AN
Drivetrain:
- Transmission = Custom GM+Mopar NV4500 5-speed w/overdrive & big clutch set
- Transfer Case = Divorced all-wheel-drive Rover LT230 w/HD cross-pin & locking center diff
- Driveshafts = Custom length Tom Woods double-cardan long travel shafts
- Axles = Stock 1/2-ton Rover semi-floating 3rd-member solid axles
Suspension:
- Lift = Lucky8 4" suspension lift kit w/Terrafirma parts
- Wheels = Custom Trail Worthy Fab HMMWV double bead-locks
- Tires = Interco TrXus M/T in 35" tall x 12.5" wide
- Brakes = ABS delete w/ stainless steel AN hose
Exterior:
- Voyager full size roof-rack & rear hatch ladder
- Tactical Rovers front winch bumper
- 75mm Lucky8 Flexi fender flares
- Custom heavy duty hiem-joint & DOM tube steering links
- Land Cruiser FJ80 Steering Gear w/cooler & saginaw pump
- Custom "manual" Makrolon polycarbonate side windows
- Custom aluminum rear side-window access hatch
- Restored tubular steel tail-light guards
- Custom bush cables / limb risers
Electrics:
- Dual group34 Northstar batteries w/ manual override charging relay
- Full OEM electrical system delete & rewire (in process)
- Array of four 9" 225-watt LED high-mount offroad spot+flood lights
- Auxbeam LED headlight bulb upgrades
- CB radio with fiberglass antenna
Interior:
- Custom camper setup w/plentiful cabinet space & fold-out bed
- Wool insulation stuffed everywhere
- Custom window blackouts/insulation
- Saggy headliner stripped & coated with bedliner

PLANS:
~ Winch, or two of 'em!
~ Sliders: Custom build w/frame mounted legs + tree bars
~ Bumper: Tactical Rovers rear w/my own custom swing-out tire carrier
~ Axles: Ashcroft HD shafts, joints, & diffs ($$$$>) for the stock Rover axles, OR...
~ Axles: Build high-pinion full-floating Ford 9 axles ($$<) & dream about portals?
~ Lockers: Stuff whatever axles with both a True-Trac locker in front & Detroit out back
~ Tires: 37-39" so I can start utilizing more inexpensive military surplus bias-ply rubber
~ Steering: Custom mount a hydraulic assist-ram plumbed right into the steering gear
~ Suspension: My own planned custom 3-link front + 4-link rear, all DOM tube & heims
~ Springs: Up-rated to match loadout weight + bypass shocks w/king fox racerunner etc
~ Brakes: Custom mounted Range Rover Sport 6-pot & 4-pot non-float calipers w/stainless AN hoses
~ Tanks: For water & fuel, custom build to tuck between sliders & frame rails, both sides
~ Armor: Custom build skid 1/4" aluminum plates for trans+transfer case & fuel tank
~ Solar: Custom setup w/house battery mounted in the cabinets or undercarriage
~ Comms: Long range HAM + GMRS to extend the current CB radio setup
~ Seats: Mastercraft Sportsman pair up front only
~ Lighting: Exterior area/work

[ 11/30/17 edits: Updated most images to my imgur source ]
[ 6/30/18 edit: Added recent photo of the powertrain swap ]
[ 7/30/18 edit: Added build list & plans ]
[ 6/17/19 edit: Updated lists ]
[ 4/17/20 edit: Updated photo ]

cont...

⇝ Land Rover Disco 2 ~ Lifted, Camper, Cummins Diesel & 5speed ⇜
⇝ 4BT thread: (LINK) ~ Video of builds, travel, racing, etc: (LINK)
Sweet! Watched your YouTube on this even before seeing this thread. Super impressive. My disco 1 doesn’t hold a candle to your 2. Happy travels