"Nanuuq" my Land Rover Discovery 2 diesel swap, ...forever a project!

• HTML tutorial

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Hey Tinker
I deleted the ABS and the load sensing valve on the rear axle on my 80 series. The vehicle stops so much nicer. Removed 15 lb of stuff and there is room in the engine bay to put a side by side fridge. You will love it. I moved the fuel filter closer to the fender View attachment 147097
Very nice, looks clean! It was a big diet on mine too, & so much space available after :D

Reactions: Ob1

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

First drive out of the shop after 2+ years & first time moving with Cummins diesel power! More video to come, just wanted to get something out while I continue the road-worthiness prep & get video edits completed.

Today I'll run a temporary wire back to the tail lights & add a proper start/kill switch, so I can hit the road!

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
First drive out of the shop after 2+ years & first time moving with Cummins diesel power! More video to come, just wanted to get something out while I continue the road-worthiness prep & get video edits completed.

Today I'll run a temporary wire back to the tail lights & add a proper start/kill switch, so I can hit the road!

Tinker,

With this sound, you REALLY don't need a sound system in the car. I can listen to this all day!!!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Now that it's derivable, time to plan the next stage of this build - 1 ton axles! :smilingimp:

So much yes! Funny thing is that after the big electrics build, the next phase I want to work on is a proper long-travel suspension (3-link + 4-link) & better axles like building my own custom full-float Ford 9's or Dana 60's :sunglasses:

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Getting ahead on the final touches for the road testing, starting with safety stuff like: reliable throttle cable lever/bracketry, brake lights that actually function (all the OE wire's been stripped from the entire body in preparation for a full rewire job), engine shut-down solenoid, etc.

Here's the final throttle cable setup with modified lever + new bracket, & I may add a secondary return spring + cable clamp, but for now it seems to function as I'd expect:

The comically long shifter that came with the transmission is now cut down ~3" so that 2nd gear doesn't wedge against the steering wheel. I'll most likely be building a "remote" linkage style shifter setup to sneak under the original dashboard & to move it to a more ergonomic location, but this'll do for now:

It's feeling a bit rat-rod in here with the drivetrain guts spinning around in full view... not mad at the view & wondering if a clear plastic (thick though!) cover for the tunnel would be worth the trouble. And let's not even get into how dumb I felt when I couldn't get it to move for a solid few minutes on the maiden voyage because this transfer case shifter was in nuetral:

I threw together a temporary setup for the gauges I figured were most important for the initial shakedown testing runs, with exhaust gas temperature coming in a close third, but for now these should keep me safe:

Speaking of "idiot proofing" here's hopefully enough for warnings to keep me paying attention to which pump I'm at when I'm grinning like a doofus at the fuel stations:

Heading out now for some proper road testing & rowing thru the gears for a good shakedown, so excited for some more seat time in this rig :)

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Props brother. I know that feeling. I used to build my own race cars, the moment that project leaves the garage is the greatest feeling.

Reactions: Tinker

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Here's the full test drive video:

Also did some road testing with it this week, but currently dealing with some unlucky injection pump issues... so it may be down a week or two as I sort this issue out :(

Hey mate,

Congrats. I know the feeling too. I spent Almost two years building my 80 series land cruiser and still can remember the first time we started the Diesel engine on the bench and then the first time I released the clutch and the car started moving. Hahaha. You will enjoy this rig for decades I hope. You inspire us all.

cheers mate

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here's the full test drive video:

Also did some road testing with it this week, but currently dealing with some unlucky injection pump issues... so it may be down a week or two as I sort this issue out :(

@Tinker, I am so happy for your accomplishment with this very challenging project. I commend you sir. The whole project has been very enjoyable to watch. Thank you for sharing it with all the rest of us dreamers.
Lanlubber

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Props brother. I know that feeling. I used to build my own race cars, the moment that project leaves the garage is the greatest feeling.
It's been way too long since I've had such an in-depth project roll out (last time was ~5 years ago on that Crx rallycross car build in the background), feels awesome!

Hey mate,

Congrats. I know the feeling too. I spent Almost two years building my 80 series land cruiser and still can remember the first time we started the Diesel engine on the bench and then the first time I released the clutch and the car started moving. Hahaha. You will enjoy this rig for decades I hope. You inspire us all.

cheers mate
Those are 2 big milestones for sure & great reasons to crack celebratory beers with friends! Was able to do that for the engine start... but I guess I'll have to keep the "first drive beers" cold until everyone gets healthy again & friends can join.

awesome job!
Thanks! It's been such a fun experiment having a project build where I can attempt "dream ideas" that I've always wanted to try on other projects but couldn't pull off for various reasons (time, budget, daily driving requirements, etc).

@Tinker, I am so happy for your accomplishment with this very challenging project. I commend you sir. The whole project has been very enjoyable to watch. Thank you for sharing it with all the rest of us dreamers.
Lanlubber
I was so happy as well that I had to edit out a fair bit of excited shouting & cursing from the video haha! Glad you like, & it's been a fun creative outlet + extra motivational drive :)

I kind of forgot what an utter chunk this truck is since it's been locked away inside for so long, but now out in the wild again (especially next to the little Crx) it's a big reminder how far it's come since the bone stocker I rescued from Chicago. And I feel like I'm "doing it right" when most times I walk into a parking lot or the driveway & whichever project I'm driving puts a smile on my face :D

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It's been way too long since I've had such an in-depth project roll out (last time was ~5 years ago on that Crx rallycross car build in the background), feels awesome!

Those are 2 big milestones for sure & great reasons to crack celebratory beers with friends! Was able to do that for the engine start... but I guess I'll have to keep the "first drive beers" cold until everyone gets healthy again & friends can join.

Thanks! It's been such a fun experiment having a project build where I can attempt "dream ideas" that I've always wanted to try on other projects but couldn't pull off for various reasons (time, budget, daily driving requirements, etc).

I was so happy as well that I had to edit out a fair bit of excited shouting & cursing from the video haha! Glad you like, & it's been a fun creative outlet + extra motivational drive :)

I kind of forgot what an utter chunk this truck is since it's been locked away inside for so long, but now out in the wild again (especially next to the little Crx) it's a big reminder how far it's come since the bone stocker I rescued from Chicago. And I feel like I'm "doing it right" when most times I walk into a parking lot or the driveway & whichever project I'm driving puts a smile on my face :D
What do you have in mind for a hood ? That should be interesting !

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

What do you have in mind for a hood ? That should be interesting !
The idea I have in mind is a nod to the "old school" but I want to keep the details secret just for now, at least until I get started cutting & have a better idea if I can pull it off. It's going to require the assistance & advice of several friends to make it happen & end up with a proper clean finished hood.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Here's the footage of the initial road-test prep work + the clip of when part of the injection pump failed & made it go a little wild on me:

I've been well motivated with all the extra time lately, so I was able to get it repaired quickly & get straight on to the actual road testing again:

All the road testing this weekend went well! Around 60-70 miles of solid oil pressure, coolant temp never passed 180 even without fans, shifted well, no throttle input issues, & no wobbles/shakes up to ~50-60mph. I was pleasantly surprised by the big unknowns too! The brakes felt great after the ABS delete work. Also the steering is honestly feeling even better than before, but needs adjusting back to center since I got a little excited about the drive & forgot to align it before rolling out:

The "WTF?" looks I got while driving around were great hahaha! I moved house right after starting the project, so no one in my area or most my neighbors have ever seen the thing. And if they have, they've not heard it make these sorts of sounds! But what a great feeling to leave it out of the shop & parked in the driveway after bombing around... it's almost like a real car again :D

Next up is adding an external throttle-lever return spring to dampen throttle input, adjusting the steering + panhard links, adding more gauges, starting to get the hood cut up, & taking a look at the alternator pulley that's not wanting to stay tight. Then I really need to put it on corner weight scales, that way I can get up-rated coil springs to take the place of these rotten old lift springs that are just not up to the task of holding the added camper/cargo weight in back + new Cummins in front.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Here's the footage of the initial road-test prep work + the clip of when part of the injection pump failed & made it go a little wild on me:

I've been well motivated with all the extra time lately, so I was able to get it repaired quickly & get straight on to the actual road testing again:

All the road testing this weekend went well! Around 60-70 miles of solid oil pressure, coolant temp never passed 180 even without fans, shifted well, no throttle input issues, & no wobbles/shakes up to ~50-60mph. I was pleasantly surprised by the big unknowns too! The brakes felt great after the ABS delete work. Also the steering is honestly feeling even better than before, but needs adjusting back to center since I got a little excited about the drive & forgot to align it before rolling out:

The "WTF?" looks I got while driving around were great hahaha! I moved house right after starting the project, so no one in my area or most my neighbors have ever seen the thing. And if they have, they've not heard it make these sorts of sounds! But what a great feeling to leave it out of the shop & parked in the driveway after bombing around... it's almost like a real car again :D

Next up is adding an external throttle-lever return spring to dampen throttle input, adjusting the steering + panhard links, adding more gauges, starting to get the hood cut up, & taking a look at the alternator pulley that's not wanting to stay tight. Then I really need to put it on corner weight scales, that way I can get up-rated coil springs to take the place of these rotten old lift springs that are just not up to the task of holding the added camper/cargo weight in back + new Cummins in front.
Mate,

This engine.... music to my ears!!!

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Tinker hi,

Would be nice to compare your previous V8 engine mpg to the Cummins. I did a diesel conversion on my FZJ80 from the 4.5L 1FZ-FE original engine to the 1HDFT 4.2L 24 valve that was sold on this vehicle in AUZ. It changed from 11-13 to 21-26 mpg. At first I thought the fuel gage was broken. I did add an intercooler and an aftermarket turbo to increase the boost from 12 to 18. I can go higher, but did not seem to make a lot of difference. The engine has so much torque anyway. Never needed an extra or extended fuel tank anymore. I get 550 miles on a tank, + 10 gallons in Jerrycans, so if you get stuck with this, and you are not in the Australian wilderness, you earned it.

Again, congrats. Rig looks amazing even without the hood!

Cheers

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Tinker hi,

Would be nice to compare your previous V8 engine mpg to the Cummins. I did a diesel conversion on my FZJ80 from the 4.5L 1FZ-FE original engine to the 1HDFT 4.2L 24 valve that was sold on this vehicle in AUZ. It changed from 11-13 to 21-26 mpg. At first I thought the fuel gage was broken. I did add an intercooler and an aftermarket turbo to increase the boost from 12 to 18. I can go higher, but did not seem to make a lot of difference. The engine has so much torque anyway. Never needed an extra or extended fuel tank anymore. I get 550 miles on a tank, + 10 gallons in Jerrycans, so if you get stuck with this, and you are not in the Australian wilderness, you earned it.

Again, congrats. Rig looks amazing even without the hood!

Cheers
I agree, will make for a very interesting comparison I think too!

It's helpful that these old mechanically controlled engines are fairly straight forward to estimate output from (until volumetric efficiency comes into play) based on known build recipes. Before I add more fuel thru bigger injectors, or more air via turbo wastegate bleed-off +head studs... this setup should be in the range of 225-250 horsepower & 550-600 torque & 20-25 miles per gallon consumption. The old setup was 188 hp & 250 tq & 7-8mpg at best.

Obviously it wasn't originally designed for 35" tires or all this added weight, but by some funny luck that old undesirable gearing should work near perfectly with the new engine's RPM range being shifted so much lower than the old V8.

I'll need to verify the calculations vs real world testing, but theoretically going from roughly ~200 miles range per tank to ~600 miles will be fantastic! :D