Name brand vs non name brand

• HTML tutorial

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

When buying gear such as soft shackles and straps is there a difference between say a arb strap vs a smittybilt strap. Assuming all ratings are the same. Aside from cost is there a depreciating quality also? Thanks

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Totally depends on the equipment. I've had great luck with ARB recovery gear, so I generally trust them. I did replace all my older metal shackles with soft shackles. While shopping for those I found huge variances in both price and quality with some of them purported to be less than acceptable.(non UV resistant, or questionable test/rating practices) There I ended up going with soft shackles from bubba rope. I'd say you just need to trust the source and the supplier when it comes to recovery gear, it's not worth saving a few bucks if you're getting questionable equipment.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Totally depends on the equipment. I've had great luck with ARB recovery gear, so I generally trust them. I did replace all my older metal shackles with soft shackles. While shopping for those I found huge variances in both price and quality with some of them purported to be less than acceptable.(non UV resistant, or questionable test/rating practices) There I ended up going with soft shackles from bubba rope. I'd say you just need to trust the source and the supplier when it comes to recovery gear, it's not worth saving a few bucks if you're getting questionable equipment.
Thanks for the info

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I’m also a big fan of Bubba Rope great stuff

Last edited:

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I tend to go for non-name brand equipment, with good reviews(I read the reviews in order to sort out the BS from the more normal reviews). I also use equipment rated for more than twice what I'll need. ARB makes a fine product, and also demands the higher price. I don't abuse my equipment, I clean it after I use it. I've had my snatch strap for more than 25 years and I can't tell you who made it. If you don't trust your equipment, be careful where you stand. Always watch where you stand. Ron

Last edited:
Reactions: GratefulFozzie

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Based on your question @GratefulFozzie I want to caution you about buying properly sized recovery gear. If you go by 2-3x GVWR, as I do, ARB doesn't make a snatch strap small enough for your intended purpose. In fact theres only 1 strap made by an Australian company that I know of which falls in to that range so you're left with kinetic ropes. If you're looking for kinetic recovery you want that strap/rope to stretch as much as possible. Use too heavy of a strap/rope and it'll jerk like a tow strap.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Based on your question @GratefulFozzie I want to caution you about buying properly sized recovery gear. If you go by 2-3x GVWR, as I do, ARB doesn't make a snatch strap small enough for your intended purpose. In fact theres only 1 strap made by an Australian company that I know of which falls in to that range so you're left with kinetic ropes. If you're looking for kinetic recovery you want that strap/rope to stretch as much as possible. Use too heavy of a strap/rope and it'll jerk like a tow strap.
I want to be prepared as possible. I cannot afford at this time or have the skill set for a custom bumper with a winch. I want to have a few shackles, tree strap, recovery strap, and a kinetic/snatch strap of sorts ideally, trax. I have a stubby shovel and axe in the back now

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

My logic on soft shackles was to save on some weight. Since the forester is lighter anyhow. A couple pounds here or there I feel could ad up over time

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
My logic on soft shackles was to save on some weight. Since the forester is lighter anyhow. A couple pounds here or there I feel could ad up over time
I fully support the use of soft shackles. I’m constantly encouraging my fellow Subaru drivers to ditch their steel shackles in favor of lighter, and most importantly, safer soft shackles. I’m also constantly reminding people that our OE recovery points will fail when a recovery is done improperly.

Without a winch you’re looking at only needing 2 soft shackles and a recovery (kinetic) rope. What I was stressing was the importance of a properly sized rope. You’re looking for something in the 12-14k range to get the most out of the rope and ensure a smooth as possible recovery.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Your strategy to reduce weight makes a lot of sense. Synthetic shackles are a great way to do this. I completely converted over to all soft-shackles a few years ago. I’m very happy with this move.

I’m an engineer by trade, so I’m less convinced by consumer reviews. When shopping for recovery gear, I look for products that have been tested to failure (destructive testing). These tests are not always performed by all companies. I also tend to trust USA products over China or other developing counties. Just my personal preference. Do to these selection preferences, I often buy Bubba Rope for Shackles, Recovery Ropes, etc…

I would put some attention to your recovery points. What’s the point of great gear, if you have no good way to attach to your vehicle? I would ensure you have rated recovery points, to attach your recovery gear to.

This link may give you some ideas how to lower the stress on your vehicle when doing a recovery. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/winching-bridle-between-2-recovery-points.8671/

Reactions: MEB77

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I fully support the use of soft shackles. I’m constantly encouraging my fellow Subaru drivers to ditch their steel shackles in favor of lighter, and most importantly, safer soft shackles. I’m also constantly reminding people that our OE recovery points will fail when a recovery is done improperly.

Without a winch you’re looking at only needing 2 soft shackles and a recovery (kinetic) rope. What I was stressing was the importance of a properly sized rope. You’re looking for something in the 12-14k range to get the most out of the rope and ensure a smooth as possible recovery.
Thanks man. I have been doing some research to ensure I get the right size. Did you add recovery points to your subie?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Negative @GratefulFozzie. I use the OE hooks in front and back but I do so knowing full well their limitations. Straight as possible pulls and to be as nice to them as you can be haha. The latter goes right back to properly sized gear. Your GVWR is surprisingly similar to mine at ~4500lbs.

As far as brands go I put my stock in torture tested USA made products from companies with good reputations in the industry. My shackles and kinetic rope are from Bubba Rope. The Sidewinder Xtreme slots right in at 3x GVWR (because even I’m a little leery of going down to 2x) and the 7/16” Gator Jaws just slide through the OE hooks.

I’m sure you came across it in your research but you definitely want to use a line damper if you ever need to use your rope. Doesn’t have to be a dedicated piece of gear but you want to have something heavy enough to drape over the line.

WILLD420

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nevada
I never worried much about UV resistance until I had a kids wagon for our bikes. After 3 months of sitting out in the sun every afternoon in our carport, the straps for the kiddo rotted right out. The stitching is still there but the straps turned to dust.

Now, anything that stays out in the sun is U.S. made with the proper UV rating or it gets a cover.