St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Hey everyone, thanks for coming out to Prescott Beach today! It was fun to see some of you again and meet new people!

I'm trying to figure out a gathering for November. The 17th is the Off Road Podcast Charity show up in Puyallup, there's a rally point up for that, please come out and support some great charities! The last weekend of the month I'll be gone celebrating my anniversary. The 2 Saturdays I could organize something are the 10th or 24th, looking at feedback on the cards people filled out it seems like a remote location on a Saturday is what we're after.

Which date works best for you? The 24th is probably not the best as it's Thanksgiving Weekend, a meet-up can be on another day but someone else would have to put it together.

Edit:
Rally Point is up!
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/n-or-s-wa-meet-up-and-short-trail-run/

Last edited:

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

It’s was good too meet you all today too.

Yeah out of those options, the 10th would be better for me.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone, thanks for coming out to Prescott Beach today! It was fun to see some of you again and meet new people!

I'm trying to figure out a gathering for November. The 17th is the Off Road Podcast Charity show up in Puyallup, there's a rally point up for that, please come out and support some great charities! The last weekend of the month I'll be gone celebrating my anniversary. The 2 Saturdays I could organize something are the 10th or 24th, looking at feedback on the cards people filled out it seems like a remote location on a Saturday is what we're after.

Which date works best for you? The 24th is probably not the best as it's Thanksgiving Weekend, a meet-up can be on another day but someone else would have to put it together.
This is AWESOME!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
It was great meeting everyone. I'd be up for the 10th, I'll just getting back from a week trip down south to see my grandkids. The 24th might be tough for people, but I'll try to make it.

Reactions: Spud

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
So let's do something the 10th. A lot of people expressed interest in getting more trail runs in as well as meeting in more remote areas.

Let's combine them, how about we run a section of Barlow Road, eat lunch and visit, then go up to Badger Lake. It's all easily done with stock trucks. Might be the last chance to do much off road up in that area before winter rolls in and gates start getting closed.

I'm thinking for December we should do a training, we had a few people offer up their expertise in both radio communications and first aid.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Lol, sorry Jim, I'm referring to the Badger Lake Campground in the Mt. Hood National Forest.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
just a little fyi , this was in the summer so I'm not sure if they fixed the bridge yet .
View attachment 73452
Still closed as of Labor Day as Shaun has stated. We went all the way to the bridge to check it out. There is no legal way around this. Yes people have gone through the campground, across the creek and up a slope on the other side. But again it looks like and I was told THIS IS AN ILLEGAL ROUTE from a reliable source that routes trails up here (trailsoffroad.com). If you enter Barlow Trail from the west this is a dead end and you must turn around and retrace your way back to the highway to bi-pass.That is what we had to do. It is about 8 miles in and 16 round trip.

Reactions: Spud and RainGoat

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Looks like there are ways on connecting the two places you want to go to. Should be a fun run.
I sent Terry an email with a gpx of a possible route, hopefully it avoids the bridge but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't been out there this year.

Reactions: STPICKENS

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
It does not. I'll send you the info in a bit. I talked with Shaun as he did this run last year.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
I want some feedback on an idea, what's everyone think of meeting at the Badger Lake Campground in the Mt. Hood Forest, eat lunch, visit, there's a bathroom there too, then run Bennett Pass as a group? The drive up to Badger Lake isn't that bad, there's 1 rough spot but it's a nice remote campground. Bennett Pass is incredible, it's snug for a big full size rig, but last time I did it a long bed Dodge Ram in the group I was with made it through just fine. 20170813_175836.jpeg20170813_155747.jpeg

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Just did Bennett pass last month and I'd really like to do it again now that it's been raining a bit more, going to see if I can get that Saturday off

Tin Man

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Vancouver,WA
Member #

I want some feedback on an idea, what's everyone think of meeting at the Badger Lake Campground in the Mt. Hood Forest, eat lunch, visit, there's a bathroom there too, then run Bennett Pass as a group? The drive up to Badger Lake isn't that bad, there's 1 rough spot but it's a nice remote campground. Bennett Pass is incredible, it's snug for a big full size rig, but last time I did it a long bed Dodge Ram in the group I was with made it through just fine. View attachment 73590View attachment 73591
Sounds great! November 10th works fine for me. Now the only question is who has a drone? I think if we're doing a group trail run we're obligated to document it.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
So a problem with this idea, Veteran Overland will be camping at Badger Lake, it's a small area and won't fit two groups. Guess we need to figure out a plan B.

Reactions: Terry Pickens