My Trans Wisco Adventure Trail Report

• HTML tutorial

Vader_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail was well a adventure, filled with long stretches of road, wildlife like you wouldn't believe and beautiful scenery. Throughout the trip I heard wolves howling, elk, porcupine, too many eagles to count, turkey, turkey vultures, raptor birds, cranes, swan, and list goes on. Every camp for 4 nights was empty. Because of all the rain and storms the rivers were raging making for a even more beautiful backdrop and muddy roads. I left Chicago on Wednesday afternoon to get a head start on the trail since I wanted to find time to ride mike bike when I got further north. I rolled into camp minutes before a massive wind and rain storm. By the way the drive into camp after crossing into Iowa is amazing. It is also worth mentioning that you have to cross about 5 streams to get to the camp. So, I figured I had time to set up my shelter and tent before the storm came, and not minutes before it began dumping I had everything secured. I should mention that I probably I had he best campsite (104) there, next to a medium sized brook and had there been anybody there it was still rather secluded. The rain did eventually stop and I was able to take a night hike and enjoy the sounds within the valley. Leaving Little Paint Campground on Thursday I had to cut and pull a tree off the forest road I was on; the alternative was to drive over a hour the other way and what's not to say there wasn't a bigger tree down that way. Pavement was only 3 miles away so I said f-it and got it moved. Day 2 was I traveled along the Mississippi which seemed like forever and then into some remote Wisconsin backroads with beautiful scenery. There were definitely some high speed sections on day 2. I drove for a solid 9.5hrs to get to Big River Falls County Park, again empty. As I pulled up the sound of the river raging was amazing loud. This camp was awesome because it had a wooden two shelved table and it was big . That night I explored around the river as the temp dropped into the 40's. Just after I got my fire started around 9, that's when I heard them, wolves. There was probably 6-8 of them not too far from where I was, so I stoked the shit out of he fire until I went to bed. Day 3 was pretty mellow as miles go, only because I was still a little tired from the day before. I drove up to Moose Lake in the Chequamegon National Forest. The drive had some very adventurous aspects to it and there were more high speed forest roads. After I got camp set up explored in the truck and found a cool dead road and more spectacular forest roads. It was another cold night and no one within 20-30 miles. Day 4 had the best driving, but I did get screwed on my way to the Morgan Falls hike because of bridges out or closed roads. I made it to the Delta Diner at 12:30 and got a seat right that the counter. I must say this is some of the best food I have ever had in my life, maybe because it's day 4 but I had been eating well on he trip. If you haven't been I would say tell them you have been there before because then you won't have to hear them run down the entire menu and explain everything. I get it that's their thing but I could have been out of there in 30 minutes rather than the 1+ hour. Back to the food, it was all local ingredients and I would not expect what I had in Delta, Wisconsin. After the Diner, more badass driving! It was rough at times, fast, wooded, in and out of forestry areas. I noticed the sky darkening so once I knew I was get close to camp I floored it. I had a great luck so far and I wasn't going to let it stop now. Pulled into camp with $17 in my pocket and for a $20 campsite and not a ATM within 30 miles so I said it f-it again but first let me get my camp set up before I pay. I was able to get my shelter and tent set up before it began to storm. So now I have to and pay for the site with my $17 but as I am about to head to the pay station a 20 year old comes driving up, we talk, I mention I am $3 shy and he says I got $3. Lucky how that worked out, now I don't have to worry about get getting ticket or get kicked out by Ranger. I was amped on the promise of s shower but that cost $2 which I obviously didn't have. That night was spent under the shelter and then eventually I retreated to the comforts of my tent for some reading. The next morning it was still raining as I drove back to Chicago and made a little stop at Copper Falls State Park to view the falls that were raging. Parting words of advice, do it if you have the time.

Attachments

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Awesome write-up! I'm really interested in exploring this route this year. So many interesting places to explore with a few detours to the original route!