Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

For years I have been using bags to store my tools, finally I said enough. I was tired of shuffling through bags of tools to find the right socket or wrench. The tool bags also started to annoy me because any time I wanted to put my dogs or camping gear in the back of my jeep I had to rearrange everything to make it fit. Finally I said enough is enough and this is the solution I came up with! What is yours?

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
For years I have been using bags to store my tools, finally I said enough. I was tired of shuffling through bags of tools to find the right socket or wrench. The tool bags also started to annoy me because any time I wanted to put my dogs or camping gear in the back of my jeep I had to rearrange everything to make it fit. Finally I said enough is enough and this is the solution I came up with! What is yours?
Great job on this. Saved for future reference and shared with my fellow overlanders. [emoji1376][emoji1360]

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
That was a very well done video and great information! Thanks for sharing.

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
This is awesome! I wonder if I could do the same thing, but hang it from the ceiling and drop it down. The ceiling of the vehicle just seems like waisted space or should I say space with un-utilized potential.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice work. At my school, I had to set up the tool boxes for my classes the same way. 20 box's, 6 drawers each. I wish I thought of the solder gun like you did. Mine were razor knife. took forever.

Scott

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

This is awesome! I wonder if I could do the same thing, but hang it from the ceiling and drop it down. The ceiling of the vehicle just seems like waisted space or should I say space with un-utilized potential.
Thank you!

I agree the ceiling does seem like a waste of space. I often thought about how to pile junk up there.

Reactions: offroadinclined

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Nice work. At my school, I had to set up the tool boxes for my classes the same way. 20 box's, 6 drawers each. I wish I thought of the solder gun like you did. Mine were razor knife. took forever.

Scott
Thank you! Oh wow that that’s a lot of toolboxes! Great idea to keep the tools in class though. Yea I did a test with a few different methods to cut the foam. The soldering iron worked best for me.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

This is awesome! Must have taken a lot of time to cut all of the tools out like that! Why did you use a soldering iron instead of a razor blade?
Thank you! It did take a while to cut all the tool slots out. The reason I used a soldering iron instead of a razor blade is because the soldering irons cuts way cleaner.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Great setup! I have my tools, recovery gear and compressor in a Case Cruzer I mounted to the roof of my 4Runner. Not quite so handy as yours, but I don't think I need such easy access to my tools as you have made. Here's my setup:

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Great setup! I have my tools, recovery gear and compressor in a Case Cruzer I mounted to the roof of my 4Runner. Not quite so handy as yours, but I don't think I need such easy access to my tools as you have made. Here's my setup:
That’s a pretty good idea for recovery gear! The issue I have is that my jeep doesn’t have a roof rack for that kind of storage or mug interior space. I just dislike containers of stuff rolling around the inside. Trying to minimize and organize.

Reactions: Wolfy

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Wow. $ 505.93 is a little steep for me. But looks very well made but for that price I’m cool with my rigid case. Thanks for the feedback though & again nice looking setup.
Yea it’s very expensive I agree. The idea i think would work with any drawer though. I bought it only because I wanted something that was designed to handle a backseat mounted to it. Thank you too! I really do like that case setup. Makes me wish I had a roof rack.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

0D6C26E2-4792-484F-B72B-973046FC4301.jpeg
Yea it’s very expensive I agree. The idea i think would work with any drawer though. I bought it only because I wanted something that was designed to handle a backseat mounted to it. Thank you too! I really do like that case setup. Makes me wish I had a roof rack.
Love my smittybilt SRC. Especially the $ 505 price tag not $ $1500 & up. Have loaded this rack up with no problems or concerns & still gives me $ for other upgrades.