My Tiny Overland House (TOH) - GMC Sierra 1500 SLE extended Cab with one of a kind camper shell.

• HTML tutorial

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I have the following truck, built in Oshawa where my dad worked at GM. (Photo attached). It’s in amazing condition, one owner and near to no rust!

Make: GMC Model: Sierra 1500 Year: 2003 Market Segment: Luxury Body Type: Pickup Cab Type: Extended Cab Doors: 4 Seats: 6 Drive Type: 4WD 4-Wheel Drive Type: Pushbutton Hubs Front Tire Type: P245/75R16 Rear Tire Type: P245/75R16 Front Wheel Diameter: 16.0 in Rear Tire Type: 16.0 in
Engine, Transmission, FuelTransmission Type: Automatic Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Cylinders: 8 Engine Displacement: 5.3 L Fuel Induction: Fuel Injection Cam Type: OHV Valves: 16

I am based in the UK, and visit Canada and North America every year, the truck lives at my Dads house. I bought the truck last year with the intention to place a camper on the back and start overlanding throughout North America for 6 months of the year!

Last Year I also bought a camper shell to place on the back of the camper, it is one of a kind, built by a boat builder originally from North Carolina 28 years ago, it weighs 500lbs (pictures below) its currently sitting in Port Townsend, WA.

I am heading West from Toronto after Christmas to collect the camper shell in WA and begin the build, I hope this thread will document the build and help me get advice from other OB members.

My Build Diary - (things I have added or modifications made)

Oct 2019 - Purchased the truck in Oshawa, one careful owner, in great condition with no rust

45ECB17D-A06E-4342-9342-B61820602D69.jpeg

Oct 2019 - Purchased the Camper shell on Kijji from the 5th owner in Port Townsend, its one of a kind hand built weighs in at 500lbs.

5DE37F6C-56A3-4F82-AADA-67F3883AA737.jpeg

359A8D38-A12A-4F07-819E-1B4F6234B0E3.jpeg

Dec 2019 - Purchased a NOCO GB150 battery booster Power Pack and Power Charger to jump start vehicle batteries upto 10L and power my handheld electronics

CC944DA7-9EE9-48AD-9A2E-FDA081112548.jpeg

Jan 2020 - I purchased the following items to help navigate, keep safe and communicate my position to friends and family while on the road and on the trail!

1) Garmin inReach Explorer + - Handheld satelite communicator & GPS Navigation with SOS
2) Garmin Overlander GPS - rugged, all-terrain navigator with on- and off-road navigation

E40945FE-491E-4A1D-9B47-ADE254075E65.jpeg

801CC1C6-A47E-445F-BE15-C16D5AE85424.jpeg

other items I had or purchased for heading west:-

3) Jet Boil - To quickly and easily boils water (less that 2mins),also bought a small accessories that sits on to of the jet boil to use small pots and pans for one pot cooking !

4) Coffee Press - Its an essential piece of kit and the one i found is small and compact, allowing to make and drink in one :-)

5) Homedepot - 2 x Orange Tool boxs - cheap and colorful way to store essential cooking utensils, spices, coffee and snacks for picnic or passenger seat cooking!

6) Rumpl Puffy Blanket - 100% post-consumer recycled polyester shell and insulation to add an extra layer of comfort on top of my old but trusted Coleman flannel sleeping bag

7) Jetboil summit skillet - small compact, can hold / toast two muffins, scrambled eggs and avocado also acts as a plate for less washing up!

8) MSR Alpine Dish Brush/Scraper - small but great washing up companion

9) GSI Commuter Java Press - Great all In one french press to brew coffee (makes 1 cup of joe)

10) Zero Waste Club 3 in 1 Bamboo Spork - Environmentally-friendly, it is sustainably sourced, 100% biodegradable, also Bamboo has naturally anti-bacterial properties

11) Patagonia Black Hole Bags x 3 Clamshell design for clothes and toiletries 100% recycled body fabric, lining and webbing.

12) Patagonia Nine Trails Day 18L Pack - perfect for day hiking or about town, its also my passenger seat one grab bag with essentials like passport, ipad, phone, garmin devices etc , i never leave these items unattended in the rig.

13) Twin Mattresses - base and topper memory foam topper

Overland Rig Equipment broken down into Kit Lists

Electrical Power Kit

NOCO GB150 Power pack - Jumpstart engines upto 10L, power 12 volt accessories like aircompressor or handheld electronics.

Navigation & Comms Gear

Garmin inReach Explorer + - Handheld satelite communicator & GPS Navigation with SOS

Garmin Overlander GPS - rugged, all-terrain navigator with on- and off-road navigation

Cooking Equipment

Jet Boil - To quickly and easily boils water (less that 2mins),also bought a small accessories that sits on to of the jet boil to use small pots and pans for one pot cooking !

Coffee Press - Its an essential piece of kit and the one i found is small and compact, allowing to make and drink in one :-)

Homedepot - 2 x Orange Tool boxs - cheap and colorful way to store essential cooking utensils including jet boil, spices, coffee and snacks for picnic or passenger seat cooking!

Jetboil summit skillet - small compact, can hold / toast two muffins, scrambled eggs and avocado also acts as a plate for less washing up!

MSR Alpine Dish Brush/Scraper - small but great washing up companion

GSI Commuter Java Press - Great all In one french press to brew coffee (makes 1 cup of joe)

Zero Waste Club 3 in 1 Bamboo Spork - Environmentally-friendly, it is sustainably sourced, 100% biodegradable, also Bamboo has naturally anti-bacterial properties

Ceramic Mug - Coffee tastes better in a ceramic cup, my opinion anyway.

Sleeping & Comfort Kit

Rumpl Puffy Blanket - 100% post-consumer recycled polyester shell and insulation to add an extra layer of comfort on top of my old but trusted Coleman flannel sleeping bag

Trusted Old Coleman Flannel lined sleeping bag!

Pillow

IKEA Twin Foam Mattress & JYSK twin bamboo memory foam topper

2 x twin size sheet and pillowcases

Organisational & Strorage

Patagonia Black Hole Bags x 3 Clamshell design for clothes and toiletries 100% recycled body fabric, lining and webbing.

Patagonia Nine Trails Day 18L Pack - perfect for day hiking or about town, its also my passenger seat one grab bag with essentials like passport, ipad, phone, garmin devices etc , i never leave these items unattended in the rig.

Survival & Protection

Ganzo G724M Corrosion Resistant Fishing Knife- great for around campfire or hiking back country.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Very cool, beautiful also. That will make a great living space. Safe travels.
Thanks for the message, I feel very grateful to own this truck and camper, my father retired from GM in Oshawa where it was built and who knows he may have had a hand in building it, so it feels special, it had one owner before me and has no rust on it, thats rare for canadian trucks. The Camper shell was hand built 28 years ago in North Carolina by a boat builder who then drove it across to Port Townsend and settled down to a new life, I am the 5th Owner and its never left the Town. I am looking forward to making it my TiNUC Home from Home while exploring North America.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Amanda, nice looking truck.
The new-to-you camper must be one of a kind. Nice. View attachment 131036
Thanks for the message, I feel very grateful to own this truck and camper, my father retired from GM in Oshawa where it was built and who knows he may have had a hand in building it, so it feels special, it had one owner before me and has no rust on it, thats rare for canadian trucks. The Camper shell was hand built 28 years ago in North Carolina by a boat builder who then drove it across to Port Townsend and settled down to a new life, I am the 5th Owner and its never left the Town. I am looking forward to making it my Tiny Home from Home while exploring North America.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have the following truck, built in Oshawa where my dad worked at GM. (Photo attached). It’s in amazing condition, one owner and near to no rust!

Make: GMC Model: Sierra 1500 Year: 2003 Market Segment: Luxury Body Type: Pickup Cab Type: Extended Cab Doors: 4 Seats: 6 Drive Type: 4WD 4-Wheel Drive Type: Pushbutton Hubs Front Tire Type: P245/75R16 Rear Tire Type: P245/75R16 Front Wheel Diameter: 16.0 in Rear Tire Type: 16.0 in
Engine, Transmission, FuelTransmission Type: Automatic Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Cylinders: 8 Engine Displacement: 5.3 L Fuel Induction: Fuel Injection Cam Type: OHV Valves: 16

I am based in the UK, and visit Canada and North America every year, the truck lives at my Dads house. I bought the truck last year with the intention to place a camper on the back and start overlanding throughout North America for 6 months of the year!

Last Year I also bought a camper shell to place on the back of the camper, it is one of a kind, built by a boat builder originally from North Carolina 28 years ago, it weighs 500lbs (pictures below) its currently sitting in Port Townsend, WA.

I am heading West from Toronto after Christmas to collect the camper shell in WA and begin the build, I hope this thread will document the build and help me get advice from other OB members.

My Build Diary - (things I have added or modifications made)

Oct 2019 - Purchased the truck in Oshawa, one careful owner, in great condition with no rust

View attachment 131098

Oct 2019 - Purchased the Camper shell on Kijji from the 5th owner in Port Townsend, its one of a kind hand built weighs in at 500lbs.

View attachment 131100

View attachment 131101

Dec 2019 - Purchased a NOCO GB150 battery booster Power Pack and Power Charger to jump start vehicle batteries upto 10L and power my handheld electronics

View attachment 131103

Overland Rig Equipment broken down into Kit Lists

Electrical Power Kit

NOCO GB150 Power pack - Jumpstart engines upto 10L, power 12 volt accessories like aircompressor or handheld electronics.
Are you sure the camper will fit your truck bed ?
I won't miss you going down the road in your yacht. That interior is something else. Good luck on your adventure down south.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Are you sure the camper will fit your truck bed ?
I won't miss you going down the road in your yacht. That interior is something else. Good luck on your adventure down south.
Dear LanLubber,

Thanks for sharing about your scamp and also the above comments, yes it looks like a yacht and from the back a hobbit house. I will be extending the rear bumper to accommodate the over hang and creating storage, its 2 feet short (fits with tailgate down, but that will be temporary until i find a fabricator for front, rear, slides and underneath protection.

C8E1BF7D-42A9-4C09-BC94-02898F09D397.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Dear LanLubber,

Thanks for sharing about your scamp and also the above comments, yes it looks like a yacht and from the back a hobbit house. I will be extending the rear bumper to accommodate the over hang and creating storage, its 2 feet short (fits with tailgate down, but that will be temporary until i find a fabricator for front, rear, slides and underneath protection.

View attachment 131253
Amanda, An alternative might be to put it on a trailer like your Canadian friend @BillyBob. He is a smart camper. Check him out. The trailer would probable be cheaper than all the fab work you are talking about. Just thinking what I would do with it. If the trailer is a bit longer it would be good storage space or a small porch like a mini home. Think clearance and you will see where I am coming from. Wishing you great success in your adventurous journey !

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The Camper shell was hand built 28 years ago in North Carolina by a boat builder
It takes a boat builder to build something in wood and still look new 28 years later.
Port Townsend is a Meca for wooden boats.
It is just a shell right? No floor?
Looks like cedar strip canoe.
Or Carvel Planking.

My daughter lives in London, England.

Is that B/A Station in Oshawa?
I always had a dream of living in one. Home in the office, shop in the shop.

Last edited:

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
It takes a boat builder to build something in wood and still look new 28 years later.
Port Townsend is a Meca for wooden boats.
It is just a shell right? No floor?
Looks like cedar strip canoe.
Or Carvel Planking.

My daughter lives in London, England.

Is that B/A Station in Oshawa?
I always had a dream of living in one. Home in the office, shop in the shop.
Hi Billiebob, Thanks for the comment, sorry for the delay, I missed the comment, can you expand on B/A station? What is this? The camper you see is a shell and I will be building the base to fit the truck bed, insulating it and fitting out with custom furnituse to incorporate all my needs to live comfortably overlanding. happy holidays Amanda

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
B/A Station... British American Service Station. In the us we call them Gas Stations now because very few actually service a rig anymore... Billbob was referring to the last picture in your OP

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
B/A Station... British American Service Station. In the us we call them Gas Stations now because very few actually service a rig anymore... Billbob was referring to the last picture in your OP
Ah I now understand, thanks for the clarity, I hope you are having a lovely day, not too hectic, Best wishes Amanda

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That is a gorgeous wood interior! And yep, the exterior looks like a land yacht, which makes sense if a boat builder made it. Nice catch with the older but great condition truck.

Three months later, is there any news on this?

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
That is a gorgeous wood interior! And yep, the exterior looks like a land yacht, which makes sense if a boat builder made it. Nice catch with the older but great condition truck.

Three months later, is there any news on this?
hi Andrew,

thanks for the post, Ian currently in Vancouver after having to leave Port Townsend where for the lasttwo months I have been based restoring it, so far 500 hours invested into the restoration.

I will hopefully be adding more photos/videos from the build in the coming months.

in top of the tiny house work Iwill be adding to truck to make it more capable for overlanding.

I have an instagram account - tinyoverlandhouse

Best wishes

Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
A big hello to anyone who reads this update, I promised to start uploading build photos and i have taken plenty in the last 4 months since the project started so here goes, I plan to upload a post each day from now on!

1st thing to do was to get on a plane and head to my dad in Toronto to spend Christmas ! (Dec 10th 2019), who would have thought i would be heading into a global Pandemic!

BA89D4B6-9C87-4005-89D1-89DEF9700D71.jpeg

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Jim, Hope your well and thanks for the like! I am currently in vancouver, BC self isolating and continuing the build, soon I will be on my way back to Toronto, ON.

Just looking into changing the tyres, shocks and adding a levelling kit - I have anothher thread going for this aspect of the build Tire size, wheel Size & Regearing

Be well :-)

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
So on with the build story.....

Once I arrived in Canada, I started to prepare for my trip West to Port Townsend, ordering from Amazon Christmas presents to myself!

Electrical Power Kit

Navigation & Comms Gear

Garmin inReach Explorer + - Handheld satelite communicator & GPS Navigation with SOS

Garmin Overlander GPS - rugged, all-terrain navigator with on- and off-road navigation

I also converted the rear seat of my truck cab into my bunk, convincing myself i could get a comfortable nights sleep in a 5ft long space, being 6ft in height!

Jan 5th I left Oshawa and headed west straight into a snow storm near Windsor/Detroit border, stopping at MEC to purchase a couple of items to keep warm and cook with:-

Rumpl Puffy Blanket - 100% post-consumer recycled polyester shell and insulation to add an extra layer of comfort on top of my old but trusted Coleman flannel sleeping bag!

Jet Boil - To quickly and easily boils water (less that 2mins),also bought a small accessories that sits on to of the jet boil to use small pots and pans for one pot cooking !

Coffee Press - Its an essential piece of kit and the one i found is small and compact, allowing to make and drink in one :-)

Homedepot - 2 x Orange Tool boxs - cheap and corolulful to store essential cooking utensils, spices, coffee and snacks.

All the above mentioned items can be found in the 1st post.

FACC0E29-B68C-48C3-9F4E-AB4994493EC5.jpeg

Attachments