spfd jason

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
Looks great! Only essential must have's that I don't see are first and foremost.. Fire Extinguisher, Shovel, and a High Lift Jack. You probably already have those items but are just missing from the picture.
Two extinguishers, short handled shovel, military folding shovel, and two bottle jacks are in the garage. Thanks.

Reactions: LostInThought

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I hate short handle shovels! A yard shovel is so much easier on you back, I carry a Maddox in the truck too, I works for firefighting and digging out.
I looks you have most your bases covered, do you know how to us all the stuff.

Two extinguishers, short handled shovel, military folding shovel, and two bottle jacks are in the garage. Thanks.

Reactions: RoarinRow

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
BTW, BLM and NFS require a bucket out here in the PNW during fire season along with an axe and shovel and at least a gallon of water.

Reactions: spfd jason

spfd jason

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
I hate short handle shovels! A yard shovel is so much easier on you back, I carry a Maddox in the truck too, I works for firefighting and digging out.
I looks you have most your bases covered, do you know how to us all the stuff.
Yes sir. Whatever I haven't used in the past has been thoroughly youtube researched. :) All gear is rated above 30K breaking strength so it should work well with the 10K GVWR Duramax. My family was old school so this gear is an improvement upon "hook up the chain" and go! We have over a decade of mountain rescue (SAR) experience and twenty years of rafting safety protocols so our experience should easily translate to vehicle recovery. We're both "retired" Wilderness First Responders so the first aid kit is well stocked, too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Always good to hear! Gear without knowledge is just gear. I did Yosemite SAR for a couple of years interesting time. I like having a couple of 20k shackles while pulling hard I want know what ie going to fail first, other wise it is the weakest point.

Yes sir. Whatever I haven't used in the past has been thoroughly youtube researched. :) All gear is rated above 30K breaking strength so it should work well with the 10K GVWR Duramax. My family was old school so this gear is an improvement upon "hook up the chain" and go! We have over a decade of mountain rescue (SAR) experience and twenty years of rafting safety protocols so our experience should easily translate to vehicle recovery. We're both "retired" Wilderness First Responders so the first aid kit is well stocked, too. Thanks.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
BTW, BLM and NFS require a bucket out here in the PNW during fire season along with an axe and shovel and at least a gallon of water.
I've been asked about my state ATV sticker, water and shovel in the past, never a bucket. I do carry one but another purpose, it has a seat.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

How are you liking your in reach ?
I have a love hate relationship with my inreach. It works very well for what is does. I can stay in tough with my family and they track me when I go out. I have a 88 years old father that worries when I travel. It gives him comfort that he can see where I am and contact me if the need arises. I try to stay within a 20hour drive so I can get home if there is a need. Some of the data it provides is interesting but not mission critical.

I hate it for what it offers too and the false sense for a possible rescue. I am old school and believe self reliance. Most of my travel is solo in Baja and the west. I pride my ability to resolve my own issues and mistakes, it would be a failure in the first degree to push the SOS button. In reality it would take 48 hours plus for a rescue to reach me in Baja. I hate when I get directions to a place using the GPS points. Making a wrong turn is all part of the adventure, IHO.

The Garmin is outstanding and it performs well, there is a short learning curve in it’s operation. I resent that it makes the world smaller and less remote.

Reactions: Flatwatertherapy

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia
How are you liking your in reach ?
I have a love hate relationship with my inreach. It works very well for what is does. I can stay in tough with my family and they track me when I go out. I have a 88 years old father that worries when I travel. It gives him comfort that he can see where I am and contact me if the need arises. I try to stay within a 20hour drive so I can get home if there is a need. Some of the data it provides is interesting but not mission critical.

I hate it for what it offers too and the false sense for a possible rescue. I am old school and believe self reliance. Most of my travel is solo in Baja and the west. I pride my ability to resolve my own issues and mistakes, it would be a failure in the first degree to push the SOS button. In reality it would take 48 hours plus for a rescue to reach me in Baja. I hate when I get directions to a place using the GPS points. Making a wrong turn is all part of the adventure, IHO.

The Garmin is outstanding and it performs well, there is a short learning curve in it’s operation. I resent that it makes the world smaller and less remote.
That is what I was thinking on your pros and cons! I believe I will end up getting one here soon as I do some overland camping trips and kayak trips that would be nice to be able to let loved ones know if I’m running late.

It has a full GPS on it yeah? Or do you run a separate GPS system?

Thanks for your response!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

That is what I was thinking on your pros and cons! I believe I will end up getting one here soon as I do some overland camping trips and kayak trips that would be nice to be able to let loved ones know if I’m running late.

It has a full GPS on it yeah? Or do you run a separate GPS system?

Thanks for your response!
You can download the world on it’s maps. Using the internet is faster with my Bluetooth and phone. My family was used to me out of reach for weeks without any contact, not anymore. I am sure Starlink is only the world small to.
I have a Lorance fish finder on my kayak and have GILA on a pad . I wish the GILA and the Garmin had a direct interface.

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia
Yeah that would be nice to only have one system to run but also would be smart to keep the inreach hidden to the side for emergencies and contact and run an independent GPS.

Very nice ! What kind of kayak? I’m doing an install right now on a hobie 360 12 and garmin 7SV FF.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yeah that would be nice to only have one system to run but also would be smart to keep the inreach hidden to the side for emergencies and contact and run an independent GPS.

Very nice ! What kind of kayak? I’m doing an install right now on a hobie 360 12 and garmin 7SV FF.
I have a wilderness systems thresher 15.5 with a Lorance fish finder. Mostly fish ocean and like to go a bit off shore a bit 5 to 7 miles. It feels to big on many Sierra lakes too. Where do you plan to take your Hobie?

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia

I have a wilderness systems thresher 15.5 with a Lorance fish finder. Mostly fish ocean and like to go a bit off shore a bit 5 to 7 miles. It feels to big on many Sierra lakes too. Where do you plan to take your Hobie?
Solid choice I have heard and read great things about the WS Thresher! Sounds like you are putting it to good use, and yes 15.5 is a bit for high lakes. Oh the 360 isn’t mine I manage a kayak shop in Oregon and do special builds for customers! This one is has been pretty fun! I no longer own my own boat as I have around 250 in my rental fleet at my disposal

Attachments