Rank I

Member I

Kirke Såby, Zealand, Denmark
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wirg
Member #

After months of searching, discussing and concluding, we finally found what vehicle will bring us out om adventure.

The dream since I was young was a 4x4 and this was what we looked for. But the compromises we had to do with such a vehicle both financially and for usable space unfortunately didn't fit to what we wanted.

What we ended up with as the basis of our "rig" project was a 2008 Mercedes Viano bus.. this hopefully will fit 2 adults + 2 teenagers + 2 big dogs and all the stuff we need for get out on adventure.

The plan is to do some modifications. Reduce the number of seats, build a 2 person sleeping area inside, fit a rooftop tent and what not. Hopefully some terrain tires will help us get slightly off the pavement also in my country, off road tracks are
almost non existing.

Looking forward to sharing the build progress and I hope to find great advice here..

Attachments

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We met a Japanese couple in Chile that were in a stock Toyota Sienna with AT tires. They had driven the Salar de Uyuni and the Lagunas route in Bolivia, just to name a couple. After completing a north to south drive of the Americas they shipped it to Europe and drove Eurasia East, eventually shipping the van to Japan. The van looked great except for the bumper covers which were duct tapped on, they had pulled them off more times then they could remember. We suggested trimming the covers and offered to come up with a better method for re-mounting them but they wanted to keep the stock look and said the duct tape reminded them of what not to do. We also have several friends in AWD VWs, Mercedes, etc that are driving around the world. Point is, every vehicle has limits but it's more important to get out there than where you actually get to.