My "Poor Man's Teardrop" off-road camping trailer (M101 based)

• HTML tutorial

Dean

Rank 0

Traveler I

Background: Why a trailer?

A few things contributed to my desire to have an enclosed off-road camping trailer.

First, I was sick and tired of dealing with a tent. I found out the hard way I'm not as young as I once was (ow, my back), I waste a lot of time setting and packing up my tent (lost an entire day's worth of time on my 2015 trip - yes, that much), and my tent was no longer water proof (thanks Hurricane Joaquin).

Second, weight management. Sure a trailer adds weight, that's okay. What I needed to do was unload some of the weight from my Jeep. I found out the hard way it was overloaded and that hampered my overland adventures in a lot of ways. A trailer would allow me to keep the Jeep specific stuff in the Jeep and keep the camp/personal stuff in the trailer. This would allow me to "base camp" out of the trailer and still do Jeep things (like rock crawling) without worrying about an overloaded Jeep.

Third, I wanted something a little more secure. Leaving a tent unattended is a huge security risk. I also travel with a lot of photography equipment and tools. I know you can't stop a determined thief, but I like to do my best to "keep honest people honest" and use an "out of sight; out of mind" philosophy. If they can't see it they won't know it's there. Having a giant metal box to lock stuff in is a little more secure than a fabric tent.

Forth, I wanted something a little more flexible. You can't exactly "stealth camp" in a tent. They also take time and energy to setup. I travel solo so sometimes I'm rolling in late at night or need to pullover and sleep in a rest-area/truck-stop/Wal*Mart/wherever. An enclosed teardrop style trailer would allow me the flexibility to stealth camp as well as pull over and sleep without any setup time.

Knowing a production teardrop was outside of my budget, and not being sure a production teardrop would hold up to the use and abuse of an off-road adventure, I opted to build my own. Rather than build entirely from scratch (mostly because I can't weld) I opted to start with an off-road capable trailer. Cue the military surplus!

The Build: A relatively blank slate

The trailer I started with was a military ¾-ton cargo trailer known as the M101. I knew someone with one that had already been striped down and converted to an aftermarket 3,500# axle with drum brakes that was also Jeep WMS width. While a little large for a Jeep trailer they share the same dimensions as a full-size-truckbed which means almost any conventional truck cap would bolt to the top. I had seen a few M101's with camper-tops and even utility-tops. I liked the idea of a utility top because it would give me side access into the trailer as well as double as windows for light and ventilation. Since a new top was out of the question I opted to look for a used one. Luckily a buddy of mine found a screaming deal on Craig's List that was too good to be true and too good to pass up.

It was in rough shape and would need a lot of work, but for $50 I had to get it. Even if it didn't fit my trailer with a little work I could flip it for more money and possibly find one what would work.

Surprisingly it fit nearly perfectly on the trailer. The only fitment issue was with the rear doors but they would need rebuilt anyway. With a little trouble shooting, lots of discussion, more than a few sketches, and a beer or two, I took my buddy's suggestion and we rebuild the doors so they would be inset allowing the tailgate to close over them. Not only added security (the tailgate would cover the latch/lock) but the tailgate would be an added seat, work/cooking surface, and still be removable if needed.

Mocked up and ready for rebuilding:

My buddy welding up new door surrounds:

Me grinding room for the doors to sit flush on the trailer body:

Hanging the doors:

Getting there...

Also had to patch the front window which had been busted out a long time ago

Was the top was on it was time to flesh out the interior. I opted to go with a twin bed (I'm single and travel solo) which left me room for a front seat form an old Jeep as a "reading chair", as well as room to sit up which would make getting dressed and stuff easier.

Once that was roughed in it was time to finish up the exterior.

Primer

Paint matching the silver & black of the LJ (and a peak at my DIY awning)

The overarching goal for this phase was what I called "bed in a box." I didn't want to worry too much about electric, water, or HVAC. The mantra was "it's replacing a tent." So basically all I really needed was a rolling metal tent. Nothing else would need to change as far as my camping gear or my normal camping habits (other than not having to deal with a %#@&'ing tent).

Semi-finished Product:

Thoughts/Reflections/Observations: One year later

The trailer gets its name from the fact that I only have $1,200 invest in it. By no means was I expecting a perfect trailer. That said, it performed admirably across all my expectations. I got what I wanted from it. It allowed me to be more flexible in terms of where and when I can sleep. It allowed me to unload some weight from the Jeep and relegate it to the trailer. It helps me feel more secure about my gear and my sleeping (especially from the wind/rain/hail/snow/etc). And most importantly, it has saved me so much time.

The only major drawback is towing on the highway. Weight isn't the issue. It's not a heavy trailer. I can easily manhandle it myself. It is, however, wider and taller than my Jeep's hardtop. This means it acts like a giant parachute at highway speed. I can still maintain highway speeds but if I'm driving into a headwind forget about passing anyone. I pretty much settle into a rhythm of following (ie drafting) the semi-trucks and just sort of putz along. Thankfully I didn't build it (or the Jeep) for the highways and it's fine on backroads.

Most of my towing issues have to do with the LJ itself. The 42RLE four-speed-automatic is a turd and has no business being in a 4x4 let along something that tows. I have found out some pretty hard lessons about the limitations of the stock transmission. As such I am seriously considering a powertrain swap. Just no point trying to "polish a turd" and build up the 42RLE... but that's about the Jeep and we're here to talk about the trailer.

All in all my four functions (time, weight management, security, and flexibility) were met. I also had the goals of building a 2,000 pound trailer for under 2,000 dollars which I believe I also met. The mantra of "it's replacing a tent" really helped not only keep me on track but also keep my perspective about what it meant to go "camping."

Getting some use out of this this past weekend in VA:

The Future of the Poor Man's Teardrop: What's next?

I will be making a few upgrades to the trailer here soon. I have solar on it's way. This will help power my camera equipment when I'm out shooting photos as well as power an fridge/freezer I won at an overland rally (seriously, I won one... can't make this crap up). I'm also switching out my DIY awning for an ARB awning and deluxe room kit. This will not only provide shade and shelter from the rain, but also double as sleeping space. I also need to totally rebuild the bed support and storage area. The current under-bed storage is accessed via lifting the mattress. Terribly inconvenient. Going to build a new platform that has cubbyholes that are easily accessed without having to lift the mattress up. Also going to put in a shelf (or two) for storing clothing and extra bedding.

Beyond that it's just going to slowly evolve over time the more I use it. I won't be able to stick to the "under 2,000 lbs and under 2,000 dollars" phrase any more but, at least for a year, I had a fully functioning budget minded "poor man's teardrop."

I do have more detailed build stuff on my site if anyone is interested.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I did not know that a truck camper shell would fit onto the trailer. That just made those trailers look even better to me. I like it...

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Dean

Rank 0

Traveler I

I did not know that a truck camper shell would fit onto the trailer. That just made those trailers look even better to me. I like it...
Exactly my thoughts. RTT's are out of the question for me for a number of reasons, plus I really wanted something I could sleep in. I saw a trailer very similar to this pop up for sale on ExPo a while and was like "NO WAY!" From then on the hamster wheel started turning. My too biggest concerns were weight and size. Size was moot once I realize the trailer body is no wider than my LJ with the 6" extended flares. In fact, I think the trailer body is an inch or two narrower than the Jeep which is why the tires stick out. Weight was also moot once you stripped off the surge-brake, lunette, and mil-spec axle assymbly. All of that crap is about half the weight of the trailer. The frame and body itself aren't all that heavy. So with an aftermarket axle it's super manuverable. Also, with a spring-under configuration, it lowers just enough that the top of the trailer body lines up with the Jeep body-tub. Aside form a saggy back end (due to my 31.5 gallon GenRight fuel tank) she sits good and level.