Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Round Rock, TX, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Kilpatrick
Member #

I received my Overland Bound badge several weeks ago. However, I did not apply it to my rig because I had yet to take a Overland trek. In my mind I did not want it on the Jeep until I had "earned" it to some degree. Fortunately, an opportunity arose soon after I ordered the OB badge. A trip to run Black Gap Trail at Big Bend National Park appeared on an event page so I decided to jump on it.

I had very to little and basically nothing for camp gear, so the OB Pre-Adventure planning forms were very helpful to get things organized. My son was to tag along but was unable to leave early from campus, so I was going solo, back country camping. I took two weeks to buy missing gear and to plan the trip. The time helped to be focused on what was important and review the lists. If I had to rush to pull it together then I would have missed key items.

I loaded up and rolled out early on November 16th for the 7 hour drive west to Big Bend. I had never been there previously. The plan was to find a back country campsite, set up camp, eat then rest for the night. You cannot reserve back country sites. It is coin flip whether or not one is available. Fortunately, there was a site available for two nights. It all worked out.

The meeting time was 9am on Saturday at the rally point. There I met three other Jeepers and another joined us as we arrived on the trail. The weather was perfect! The Black Gap trail was not technically difficult but you have to pay attention. It is a lot of fun. After we completed Black Gap we moved on the Mariscal Mine to have lunch. Then the group went different ways. I followed new friends to complete the Glenn Springs trail. We basically completed a counter-clockwise loop of trails. The day was probably 3.5 hours overall. The memories were great.
I did not know that there was a term "Overlanding" when I got my Jeep but I knew that was what I wanted to do. Now that I completed my official Overland Maiden Voyage, my OB badge will be placed on my rig as soon as I wash away the Big Bend dust.

IMG_20181117_113841.jpg IMG_20181117_100843.jpg MVIMG_20181117_102535.jpg IMG_20181116_175840.jpg IMG_20181117_113841.jpg IMG_20181117_100843.jpg MVIMG_20181117_102535.jpg IMG_20181116_175840.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: