Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
After almost a year, phase 1 update and refresh of my 1978 FJ40 is nearing completion. The supply chain for parts have been incredibly delayed. The V8, 5 speed, 4:1 Orion Transfer case, 4-wheel disc brakes, 29 gallon under seat and 24 gallon rear axillary tank installed. I added a/c and new bucket seats, air lockers front and rear, dual air, dual battery and RedArc controller.

Getting close.

Attachments

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Love the color. This rig, never to be sold!

cheers mate!

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
After almost a year, phase 1 update and refresh of my 1978 FJ40 is nearing completion. The supply chain for parts have been incredibly delayed. The V8, 5 speed, 4:1 Orion Transfer case, 4-wheel disc brakes, 29 gallon under seat and 24 gallon rear axillary tank installed. I added a/c and new bucket seats, air lockers front and rear, dual air, dual battery and RedArc controller.

Getting close.
Looking good

Reactions: Glacierdog

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK

Getting close.
I picked up my FJ40 from the Fabricator in CA and did a shake down drive back to Central Oregon (600 miles).

My fuel economy with the new engine is below my expectation (I may change the mufflers to free up some back pressure?). I also determined my Dakota Digital fuel gauge is not accurate as is the speedometer (running fast).

So I have some tweaks to do before I can move onto Phase 2 (external armor, lighting, recovery, and parts clean up).

I want to find a local mechanic who can check the fuel:air mixture within my 4bbl carb (yes, I am still old school with a new crate V8).

Attachments

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN

Getting close.
I picked up my FJ40 from the Fabricator in CA and did a shake down drive back to Central Oregon (600 miles).

My fuel economy with the new engine is below my expectation (I may change the mufflers to free up some back pressure?). I also determined my Dakota Digital fuel gauge is not accurate as is the speedometer (running fast).

So I have some tweaks to do before I can move onto Phase 2 (external armor, lighting, recovery, and parts clean up).

I want to find a local mechanic who can check the fuel:air mixture within my 4bbl carb (yes, I am still old school with a new crate V8).
For your Dakota gauge I believe I used the Ford truck setting for mine . However my 71 fuel tank is a little larger than the 76 .

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK

Getting close.

For your Dakota gauge I believe I used the Ford truck setting for mine . However my 71 fuel tank is a little larger than the 76 .
Thank you for your insight. I have install a Long Range America under seat 29 gallon tank. It utilizes a stock fuel sender. I have gone through the custom setup with a spare (new) fuel sender to use during the setup procedure.

I came across two other issues before I can move forward with phase 2.

The clutch master cylinder is needing to be replaced and inside on my firewall needs to be cleaned of the leaked hydrologic fluid. This is not too difficult to swap, just need a second body to pump the clutch to get the air out of the line.

The more stressing one is the sudden sound of grinding coming from the rear-end. It is stressing since my mechanic just rebuilt the rear-end. Tomorrow I will open the Differential fill plug to see if the gear oil is filled to spec .

Ugh, when you are thoroughly connected to your rig, how you feel bad when it is down and out.

To compound things, I sold a lot of my garage tools to lessen the expense of moving. Now I am missing some of those items. There is always Harbor Freight...