Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Let's start talking about the REVISED "Adventure Bully Rig" now.
-2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (Nickname is "Greg")
-Stock Suspension
-Stock Size Tires (A/T)
-Nothing aftermarket but the battery (Optima Red)
Now for the future additions/modifications:
-Roof top tent (Probably ordering)
-Upgrade tires to the AT3 Wildpeaks I have on my Frontier
-PVC Pipe water reserve (Mounted to rack)
-Lighting upgrade of some sort (Stock Nissan lights suck.)
-Roof Rack Cage
-NATO gas cans & mounts
-Levelling kit with HD springs
-500w inverter, nothing special yet.
-Eventually a brake controller for the trailer I'm planning
We just got back from a weekend in 29 Palms (Gold Crown Road). A lot of changes since the last posting. I'll add a new picture when I get the RTT/Annex sorted.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

UPDATE: I've had a revelation!
The wife wanted to take a little adventure yesterday, so we took our '12 Pathfinder 4x4 instead of my pickup (I was working on tracing a clicking noise is the exhaust). We loaded up the Bullies and took off toward Crab Flats Campground. The Pathfinder did pretty well for being BONE STOCK. While driving to work I began to think about it and I've decided to change direction. I will now change over to the Pathfinder for the following reasons:
1.) The Pathfinder is 7 years newer and has 55k miles less on the clock
2.) Storage; Not having to worry about rain while travelling would be nice.
3.) More room on the inside for the dogs.
4.) It gets better gas mileage (+4mpg) that my truck... though that will change after the lift and tires I plan for it... and the RTT...
5.) The Pathfinder hasn't been run into (and had the front of it rebuilt) twice like my Frontier.
6.) The height is better for the RTT/Awning we are planning to get next month.
7.) The Pathfinder gets less daily miles on it.
I could go on and on I'm sure, but the benefits are substantial. I can use the Frontier occasionally, but this is my new plan. I will soon revise my initial Build post once I've made some plans.

Reactions: Subzilla and Steve

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

UPDATE: We are going to Joshua Tree next weekend and will be noting all of the changes we would like to start with. I know for a fact that we will need to get some distance between the ground and the frame. Not much distance, but enough for 32" tires? RIght now we can't clear a pine cone so there's a reference point. Maybe a 2" levelling kit and some taller rubber will do the trick, we'll see.
As for the location, I like to go off of Gold Crown Rd. when I can. Close enough to town to start the wife on wilderness camping (She's never been). Far enough away to get the pitch black nights and seclusion I desire. There's an old TJ out there which burnt to the ground, as well as a few purpose built fire rings from past trips. The one we built last year was pretty substantial!
I will be leading the way in my pickup as it's already lifted and I know the way. Also, this makes bringing firewood out an easy venture. This makes me think, how do you guys get all of your firewood out in your rigs??? Here we go all... it's beginning.

Reactions: Subzilla

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

You mentioned getting a RTT. Is your plan to camp with the dogs up there too? How much room will there be? I don't know if a RTT will have enough room for the wife, kids, and me, likewise our Siberians. I'm curious to know how things work out for you guys in that regard.

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Yeah, we are getting one with a queen sized bed. We measured and it's the same size as our bed. The dogs sleep in our bed and there's plenty of room. We are both 5'7" and the dogs are small. Once kids are in the picture or she brings home another dog... We are going to move up a size or kick the dogs to the annex.
If I were in your spot, is definitely go for the double ladder size... Or two tents on the vehicle eventually.

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

I feel you... we first had a yj and once our German shepherd (Angus) jump into it, we knew we would be trading the yj very soon, so we sold the yj on got a Xterra, now Angus and Kotty our chihuahua are very happy

Reactions: Adventure Bully Rig

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Well, I've been powering through the paperwork all week (34 hours in three days) to get into some wilderness this weekend! With the weather the way it is, we will probably just wake up Friday at the usual time (4:30am if the dogs sleep well) and decide where to go based on the weather reports. The location options we are looking at are fairly local (Joshua Tree to Anza). First REAL trip out of the year... I can't wait the 32-ish hours to leave!!!!

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

my wilderness hours have been hurt lately, I´m in the middle of moving to another city so time and money is a little short, but the good side is that I´m moving to Nogales, border city to Nogales Arizona and I´ll be so much closer to the flagstaff area and with a long weekend I can make it to california.

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

1st trip of the season done! It was a blast and most everything went well, even though we hit a few snags. On the way out of town my truck's negative terminal wiggled loose, I replaced it. The wife's SUV had a tire go flat... she needs new tires (I carry a tire inflator, no biggie). Once we got there and set-up, the wind ripped our EZ-Up cover from the mounting point up. We ended up using a tarp and some zip-ties all weekend, it worked kinda.
I learned a few things:
1.) We need some personal radios. (DONE! Picked up some Cobra Walkie Talkies)
2.) My wife is a natural off pavement
3.) I need a bigger French Press (DONE! I got the Coleman 32oz.!!!!)
4.) These little propane tanks are annoying (FIXED! I got one of those refill adapters from Amazon)
5.) I need an off-road trailer. The Pathfinder has a lot of room... but there's no way all 5 of us are going to fit AND store firewood for a week!
6.) We didn't eat a lot of "meals." Beef Jerky... Crackers/Meat/Cheese... sure. Not exactly looking to have a salad on my days off!
7.) I like making lists.

Attachments

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

1st trip of the season done! It was a blast and most everything went well, even though we hit a few snags. On the way out of town my truck's negative terminal wiggled loose, I replaced it. The wife's SUV had a tire go flat... she needs new tires (I carry a tire inflator, no biggie). Once we got there and set-up, the wind ripped our EZ-Up cover from the mounting point up. We ended up using a tarp and some zip-ties all weekend, it worked kinda.
I learned a few things:
1.) We need some personal radios. (DONE! Picked up some Cobra Walkie Talkies)
2.) My wife is a natural off pavement
3.) I need a bigger French Press (DONE! I got the Coleman 32oz.!!!!)
4.) These little propane tanks are annoying (FIXED! I got one of those refill adapters from Amazon)
5.) I need an off-road trailer. The Pathfinder has a lot of room... but there's no way all 5 of us are going to fit AND store firewood for a week!
6.) We didn't eat a lot of "meals." Beef Jerky... Crackers/Meat/Cheese... sure. Not exactly looking to have a salad on my days off!
7.) I like making lists.
Until you get the trailer can I recommend a hitch rack.
upload_2018-3-13_21-41-37.png

Reactions: Adventure Bully Rig

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Everything is changing again. I'm thinking about just starting another thread... I'm moving on from the Frontier and going to get another vehicle going. New thread, or modify this one... thoughts?

Mike Q

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Buckeye, Arizona, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Q
Member #

How are the walk-in Talkies working for you ?
Take your time with the off road trailer... sometimes just having something to carry you cargo is enough... after going to this years expo in flagstaff, I notice that it can get very expensive getting the wants then the needs..

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

How are the walk-in Talkies working for you ?
Take your time with the off road trailer... sometimes just having something to carry you cargo is enough... after going to this years expo in flagstaff, I notice that it can get very expensive getting the wants then the needs..
The walkie talkies are pretty good for the price, though the batteries run out after about 4 hours (I replaced them with Energizers and it's not much better). Thanks for the advice on the trailer, I've actually drawn up 4 or 5 different designs and I'm working toward a decision. No problem on taking my time, as I don't have much of it recently. Maybe life will slow down this fall... we'll see!

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

MANY CHANGES! I'll have pics up once we get back out to the desert and have some time to do so. Until then, here is a list of updates, with more to come.

1.) We just bought a new Tepui Kukenam Sky in Camo for CHEAP! (Not Ruggedized)
2.) Swapped out her tires for some Falken Wildpeaks (Stock size, this one isn't lifted yet)
3.) Got a dual burner camp stove from Wally World, have yet to use it but I re-inforced the box it came in.
4.) Bought (And will install next weekend) Air Lift DIY kit, manual valves that I can inflate with my new...
5.) B&D Portable Power Station (Tire inflator, Inverter, Flashlight, Jump Starter, etc.) acquired
6.) Bought a cheapo portable fridge (Koolatron 36 qt. Kool Kaddy Cooler) and wrapped it in insulating pads/tape
7.) SEVERAL miscellaneous water storage/kitchen items
8.) Coleman Instant Screen Tent 10'x10'
9.) I bought a trasharoo and will try to mount it via a STRONG magnet and the roof rack
10.) X-Bull Recovery Traction Tracks xOlive
11.) High Road Wag'nRide Dog Car Barrier (GAME CHANGER)
12.) Magnetic Phone Holders

Also of note: I've retired the Nissan Frontier and have acquired a used GMC Sierra to daily drive up and down the mountain every day. The Pathfinder is just newer and WAY more reliable. I have some plans for the Frontier later if I have time (doubt it). Have fun out there everyone, talk to you soon!

Last edited:

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Not so soon but there are even more changes, I'm pretty stoked actually. I parked the Nissan Frontier and GMC Sierra and made a super irresponsible decision. I bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road. It's the Double Cab Long Bed layout which is perfect for me. I bought a set of cross bars from Cali Raised LED. I spray painted them orange and threw them on with the tent after work.
Oh, the method wheels, Fox shocks up front and ko2s came on the truck but they also suit me well and I've never been more satisfied with a truck. Last thing... Named the truck Alvin.

Attachments