dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
What do you find your biggest obstacles are with two wheel drive? Do you often get stuck ? The only two times I've been stuck have been in deep sand when I shouldn't have stopped in a certain place

Reactions: stokesrm

stokesrm

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

What do you find your biggest obstacles are with two wheel drive? Do you often get stuck ? The only two times I've been stuck have been in deep sand when I shouldn't have stopped in a certain place
The biggest issues I have are with very steep, loose terrain. If it is steep and rocky (not loose), I am usually fine, as the rocks provide traction -- especially with the locker. I rarely get stuck -- but if I do, I have a winch and plenty of recovery gear. The only time I've had to use the winch on myself was at Alabama Hills, where my hitch receiver was wedged on the granite rock. But I successfully recovered. I've had no issues with sand, and I spend a lot of time in Anza Borrego and Ocotillo Wells. It's all about low psi in the tires and regulating the throttle.

I have been on many trails that have been rated "4x4 only," to include Coyote Flats/Funnel Lake in the Sierra Nevadas, Laurel Lakes in Mammoth, Mengel Pass in Death Valley, Phillips Loop/Calico near Barstow, Coldwater Canyon/Lytle Creek, Brooklyn Mine in Joshua Tree, and several more. In each instance, I have never destroyed trails by forcing my way through obstacles. I've become a better driver by learning how to get traction using a 2WD with a locker. If you look at m;y videos, I have learned to "crawl" with my truck -- not having to just "gun it" to get up the hill.

One of my recent trips to Coyote Flats/Funnel Lake:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Nice rig! I'm still pretty impressed with what a 2wd, good tires and a locker can do. Throw in good suspension and some articulation and its even better. I'm always amazed at what our 2wd GMC Sierra can do and the places its been.
The only issues we've had with ours off-road have been either due to how wide it is (89" track width) or the sort of unpredictable nature of the auto-locker in the rear diff in really steep, loose rock/shale. Hopefully this year we'll replace the G80 in ours with a detroit or an elocker, but we're not sure what the budget for that rig is going to be like this year.

Reactions: stokesrm

stokesrm

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Nice rig! I'm still pretty impressed with what a 2wd, good tires and a locker can do. Throw in good suspension and some articulation and its even better. I'm always amazed at what our 2wd GMC Sierra can do and the places its been.
The only issues we've had with ours off-road have been either due to how wide it is (89" track width) or the sort of unpredictable nature of the auto-locker in the rear diff in really steep, loose rock/shale. Hopefully this year we'll replace the G80 in ours with a detroit or an elocker, but we're not sure what the budget for that rig is going to be like this year.
Thanks! Yeah, steep AND loose is really the only terrain I have trouble with. Steep and firm/immovable rocks is OK. I also have more articulation in the IFS in the front now, as I've removed the sway bar.

stokesrm

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

This was on Sunday in the snow:

Reactions: dirtnsmores