Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

My Annual Sept Mojave Road trip. Sept 16-18 2022

This is part of my trip planning thread on Toyota120........but for whatever reason, after being the Best Toyota forum online for the last 20 years........people seem to be dying off or something, so time to post up here as well, I may post it up on Mud too, get some LandCruisers out there too!

Yes, my favorite trip is next month. I would have posted it up sooner, but kept forgetting, as I'm probably just going to go by myself and have a good time, and whomever wants to join can join!

Anyway, it's going to be a little rougher trip with large parts of the Mojave Preserve still closed after all of the brutal monsoon rains that have hit it, but it will be something different with all of the road closures and washed out roads (Mojave Road included in spots) within the Mojave National Preserve!

Anyway, the usual three day trip, plus for anyone that wants to join me, I will also be staying out for a few extra days at one of the cabins...........

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So, come out, don't come out........I'll be there either way!!!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Again, this is a Three Day trip through time and lots of History!! Oh.......and a lot of wasted, tore the hell up roads this year!! I'm also Not the guy who is going from Point A to Point B and trip is over, I like to take people to different parts of the Mojave Preserve that the typical Mojave Road guide usually does Not do!!

MEET UP POINT IS THE SMITHS FOOD KING IN FORT MOHAVE, AZ on September 16 2022 around 10-11:00 am......WHERE WE CAN GET GAS (WAY WAY WAY WAY CHEAPER THAN IN Commiefornia, and pick up any last minute items before going back over the River to the trail head!!

ADDITIONALLY, AFTER WE'RE DONE WITH THE MOJAVE ROAD ON SUNDAY, I'M GOING BACK OUT INTO THE PRESERVE AND GRABBING A CABIN FOR A FEW EXTRA DAYS OF RELAXING AND MORE EXPLORING!!

Must haves.........1: WATER, 2: WATER, 3: WATER, 4; EXTRA GAS!!!! (THERE ARE NO GAS STATIONS WHERE WE'LL BE) 5: FOOD, CAMPING GEAR OF COURSE (CHAIRS, TABLES, STOVE/BBQ, ETC)........ 6: DRINKS (WHISKEY, BEER, COKES, ETC......) AND A PLACE TO SLEEP (RTT, REGULAR GOUND TENT, ETC......)................OH, AND WATER!!!!!!!!!!!

MEAL TIMES, OTHER THAN LUNCH, ARE PRETTY MUCH A COMMUNAL THING, WHERE EVERYONE BRINGS SOMETHING AND COOKS AND EVERYONE CAN HAVE A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING........WE NEVER GO HUNGRY ON MY TRIPS, ALWAYS HAVE LEFTOVERS!! COMMUNAL MEALS ARE BREAKFAST AND DINNER, AND FOR LUNCH......EVERYONE IS ON THEIR OWN AS IT WILL BE SOMEWHERE ALONG THE TRAIL.
FOR THOSE OF YOU YOU WITH ICE CHESTS.........YOU MAY WANT TO INVEST IN A FRIDGE/FREEZER.......AS ICE MELTS IN THE DESERT AND FOOD GOES BAD AND THERE ARE NO COSTCO'S, WALMARTS, 7'11's OR ANY PLACE ELSE TO GET ICE!! I'VE GOT THREE BUT ONLY HAVE ROOM FOR TWO! LOL!! YOU CAN ACTUALLY BUY A PRETTY DECENT SIZE FRIDGE FOR NOT MUCH $$ IF YOU GO WITH AN OFF BRAND, OR SPEND THE $$$$$ AND HAVE ONE THAT WILL LAST FOREVER!! MY ENGEL MT-60 (64 QT) IS 18-19 YEARS OLD, ALWAYS ON 24/7 AND ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING IN IT!!! AND THAT'S WHY THAT MODEL COST $1900.00......AS THEY'LL LITERALLY LAST FOREVER.....BUT AGAIN, FOR A FEW HUNDRED, YOU CAN GET A DECENT FREEZER ON AMAZON OR WALMART.COM.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
If you put out a Rally Point you will get more participation.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

If you put out a Rally Point you will get more participation.
I get this message: "You have no permissions to create a Rally Point." On our Toy120 site, we always used the Trip planning forum, so I figured I'd use that. What do I have to do for the rally point, buy in?

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I get this message: "You have no permissions to create a Rally Point." On our Toy120 site, we always used the Trip planning forum, so I figured I'd use that. What do I have to do for the rally point, buy in?
That is correct it does cost because it is part of mapping, but if you didnt want to join you could put the event on the meet-up page and filter it for the west. We have lots of members in LV who always like to go to the Mojave.
We will be there October 15 for our second work weekend this year, we do two a year.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

That is correct it does cost because it is part of mapping, but if you didnt want to join you could put the event on the meet-up page and filter it for the west. We have lots of members in LV who always like to go to the Mojave.
We will be there October 15 for our second work weekend this year, we do two a year.
What's the cost, and other than adding the rally point, what other features does it open up that are worthwhile? Guess we could have taken this private message, but no big deal. I've been doing two organized trips out there for at 18 years, and have been going there since the day after Clinton made it a National Preserve/Park........so, I'm NOT a newbie!! I can draw you a map of the preserve from memory!!
Our Toy120 site is getting to the point where even all of the old timers haven't been on for a while, Andries started it 20+ years ago, and for years and years it has been one of the or the best Toyota off road/tech forum on the internet. And, I Don't use any of the unsocial media junk, so I refuse to get on a facebook club! My buddy Mo turned me onto to y'all last September........he posted this trip up in the rally point for me last time.
I've had some conversations with Mike a few times in the past, seems like a nice guy. So anyway, back to work I go.......need to sell some cars so I can go on vacation!!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
What's the cost, and other than adding the rally point, what other features does it open up that are worthwhile? Guess we could have taken this private message, but no big deal. I've been doing two organized trips out there for at 18 years, and have been going there since the day after Clinton made it a National Preserve/Park........so, I'm NOT a newbie!! I can draw you a map of the preserve from memory!!
Our Toy120 site is getting to the point where even all of the old timers haven't been on for a while, Andries started it 20+ years ago, and for years and years it has been one of the or the best Toyota off road/tech forum on the internet. And, I Don't use any of the unsocial media junk, so I refuse to get on a facebook club! My buddy Mo turned me onto to y'all last September........he posted this trip up in the rally point for me last time.
I've had some conversations with Mike a few times in the past, seems like a nice guy. So anyway, back to work I go.......need to sell some cars so I can go on vacation!!
Ill DM info.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll be up north that weekend. I was actually thinking of coming in from the middle and meeting up with you if my other trip didn't happen. As it is Ill be posting up this run for after thanksgiving. I do that one every year too. I will actually be coming out of Vegas after visiting family. If you feel like another run hit me up.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I'll be up north that weekend. I was actually thinking of coming in from the middle and meeting up with you if my other trip didn't happen. As it is Ill be posting up this run for after thanksgiving. I do that one every year too. I will actually be coming out of Vegas after visiting family. If you feel like another run hit me up.

No worries, I also, at the suggestion of Kent, have this posted up in the Rally Point forum, a little more confusing that just posting up in the trip planner, but it's there too, as well as my phone # should you want to text me. Camping in Caruthers Canyon Friday night, and Saturday is dependent on how hot it is on Saturday. If it's still hot, I'll be going to Live Oak which is also in the NY Mountains, just the other side. I like to camp Higher up when it's hot.......if it's not that bad, maybe Beale Mt for Sat.

Reactions: smritte

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Wow, no one wants to go? Temperatures will drop by next week.......should be more normal temps by the 16th!! And the price of GAS has gone down quite a bit, so it's somewhat affordable to fuel up for a trip now as well!! So I'm confused.......about the lack of participation, but I'll get over it, as I don't really care at this point... Lol!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you know where (about) you will be camping Saturday evening if you still go. My trip got canceled and I may head out there Saturday morning. I would be cutting in from the 40 and possibly heading east to run into you. Sill need to make sure everything is good on my end.
Also what comm's do you run. I prefer 2m but have a nice GMRS also.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Do you know where (about) you will be camping Saturday evening if you still go. My trip got canceled and I may head out there Saturday morning. I would be cutting in from the 40 and possibly heading east to run into you. Sill need to make sure everything is good on my end.
Also what comm's do you run. I prefer 2m but have a nice GMRS also.
It depends on the weather, but if it's going to be anywhere around 100*, I'm heading to Live Oak Canyon, at least it's up a little higher elevation vs Beale Mt., and the Sunsets from there are amazing!!
I don't know that hoping on I 40 really would save you much time......may be quicker to take I 15 to Cima Road and come on down from there and to Kelso-Cima Road to Cedar Canyon Road and up to the turnoff. Or take Cima Road all the way up just before Death Valley Mine and turn right on Cima Road (just before you get to the Main house at the mine, the same road cuts off to the right and takes you through some of the most Amazing roads in the park within a magical forest of Joshua Trees!! You take that to the road with a crazy Sharp Left turn just before the corral's on the right..........and if you're coming the other way, you turn right on that same road, basically........just about where the corrals are. Follow that road up, there are only two camping spots there, the one down in the canyon which is Spot #1, or right at the top of the hill before going down to spot #1.

But, I'll be in Caruthers Canyon Friday night.........if I end up out there with just the dog, I'll be in no hurry to rush out in the morning, so you could come up there Friday night or Saturday morning. My goal is to Always grab the #1 camp spot in the entire park, I's actually on some maps as "Cock Rock" and/or "Phallic Rock".........if that's taken, I'll be somewhere around there as there are a couple other spots on the way up to it, and around the canyon....... I know them all!! PM me and we can excnahge cell #'s. I'll have the radios on 146.550. I can carry the portable ones around the campsite to listen for transmissions.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Are you still leaving from Laughlin or dropping into New York from the top? I'm familiar with Live oak canyon but it has been a bit since I stopped there. I'm normally at the top of Caruthers or the one to the north east which I cant remember the name of. I also cant place Beal Mountain. I'm sure I've been there and just didn't know the name.

I wasn't paying attention and thought you were leaving on Saturday That's why I was cutting up from the 40. I'll know more this weekend about heading out there.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Are you still leaving from Laughlin or dropping into New York from the top? I'm familiar with Live oak canyon but it has been a bit since I stopped there. I'm normally at the top of Caruthers or the one to the north east which I cant remember the name of. I also cant place Beal Mountain. I'm sure I've been there and just didn't know the name.

I wasn't paying attention and thought you were leaving on Saturday That's why I was cutting up from the 40. I'll know more this weekend about heading out there.
No, I always leave on Friday. If my buddy's JP and Mo are still coming, we will probably start on the River, if not and I'm heading out with me and the dog, then I'm heading to Searchlight, topping off the gas tank, then going up the Joshua Tree National Highway (Nipton Road) to Nipton, then take the railroad track road across to Ivanpah Road and turn left then up to NY Mt Road (where the OX Ranch is) turning Right to Caruthers Canyon and on up to hopefully get my favorite camp spot, (that's Cock Rock, the one with the balancing rock and the table).
Beale Mt is literally right on the Mojave Road between Kelso-Cima Road and Marl Springs. It's a beautiful spot as well, but better suited for cooler climates, as when the sun comes up over that mountain, it can get brutal pretty fast.

I'm trying to get Ranger Dave up for Friday night again, bought a new bottle of whiskey for him. If you haven't met him, he's a Super cool dude and is the parks Archeologist......so he has a Shlt ton of info on basically anything and everything out there! Other than the Late Dennis Casebier, he knows more about the East Mojave than anyone. He came up Friday and Saturday nights on my Easter trip. Good thing he came over, as I had a pretty bad choking incident on Friday night and who better to have around than a NPS Ranger. He owns Nichols Ranch right off of Cedar Canyon Road, basically across from the Rock house above Rock Springs.

And yeah, if I'm starting on the River, then I 40 makes sense......but only if you're meeting us down there, not if you plan on dropping in the back way, if you're just going to head up to the camp sites, then I 15 is faster.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Hey Scott, I pm'd you my cell #, hit me up with a text. Got some new info from Dave about the condition of the park, but it's still a go! Going to start at Searchlight/Nipton (as mentioned on the last post) as there will be a lot of slow going with all of the road restrictions/conditions.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I canceled the Rally Point, as first, is was not worth the time with that and this thread together........so no need to have it up.

JohnGreene

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Greene
My Annual Sept Mojave Road trip. Sept 16-18 2022

This is part of my trip planning thread on Toyota120........but for whatever reason, after being the Best Toyota forum online for the last 20 years........people seem to be dying off or something, so time to post up here as well, I may post it up on Mud too, get some LandCruisers out there too!

Yes, my favorite trip is next month. I would have posted it up sooner, but kept forgetting, as I'm probably just going to go by myself and have a good time, and whomever wants to join can join!

Anyway, it's going to be a little rougher trip with large parts of the Mojave Preserve still closed after all of the brutal monsoon rains that have hit it, but it will be something different with all of the road closures and washed out roads (Mojave Road included in spots) within the Mojave National Preserve!

Anyway, the usual three day trip, plus for anyone that wants to join me, I will also be staying out for a few extra days at one of the cabins...........

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So, come out, don't come out........I'll be there either way!!!

Great, I really like your post. Are you in need of resume writer service and want to get your best job through it? So I will suggest you this website. Here you will be guided by the top writers who will solve your every problem. And will also provide you with counseling.
Great, I really like your post.

Last edited: