MGM_Grand

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver, CO
First Name
Dan
Last Name
W
Why is it that not all roads on the USFS maps are on the respective MVUM maps? I know the obvious answers, whether they're private property, gated roads for FS use or other, etc. But when I'm using an MVUM in conjunction with a USFS map, it's not always clear to me where I can drive.

Example: Road 801 in this image is definitely a legally drivable road and there were signs saying that (my GPS track is in purple, the more highlighted black/white roads are the MVUM, all overlayed on a USFS basemap). So why isn't 801 shown on the MVUM?

Another example: This one short segment of road (400.1) is on the MVUM, but nothing around it. If I were to stick to just the MVUM, how the heck do I get to this portion of road??
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 4.47.58 PM.png

I bet this comes down to my understanding of land management (or lack thereof) and not fully understanding that all of the roads on the USFS are NOT USFS managed. It's still odd and confusing when I'm trying to put together routes and I'm trying to stay on legal, non-private roads.

Attachments

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

Dude, this is a great question and one that routinely frustrates me as well.

The short answer is, 801 is a road maintained by Colorado's Park County. So the USFS doesn't include it in their MVUM. I think the maps would be way more useful if they identified all the roads contained within the outer boundaries of a USFS Ranger District as legally driveable or not.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Great question
No Answer
I would visit your local forest service office to try to get an explanation.
I have seen old signs which show a trail closed but it is open via MVUM and vice-versa.

I use the USFS and hope for the best. If something is off the main FR road I do look at the MVUM but many forests still to have them.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If it dont have xxxxx through the road which means closed or specifically marked for ohv less than 50 inch i wouldnt worry too much about it. Ive seen alot of folks over think the mvum maps. The easiest to use is the national forrest service map app those mvums that you download are hard to read and are not always updated.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

As already mentioned, there is no one answer normally. This is where the use of multiple maps is key. And, sometimes, you will come to a gate in the road. This is where having one of the private/public land map chips is nice.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Dude, this is a great question and one that routinely frustrates me as well.

The short answer is, 801 is a road maintained by Colorado's Park County. So the USFS doesn't include it in their MVUM. I think the maps would be way more useful if they identified all the roads contained within the outer boundaries of a USFS Ranger District as legally driveable or not.
YES!

It can be challenging to determine what is a Forest Road or a County road on these mapping apps. However, if you are attentive, the symbols around the road numbers can sometimes help you figure it out. In some cases, I find it is important to reference several maps to determine what jurisdiction has authority over the road and if it is legally passable. Sometimes it is a well traveled road (aerial imagery is great for seeing this when trip planning) and sometimes you find a locked gate and seek an alternative route.

Reactions: midwesttrekker