Portland, Oregon, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
f.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUS
Would love to join but I don’t have a radio or license, maybe next time!
The license is easy to get - you buy it. See this link for super simple instructions:

The radio is an easy, modest purchase of a handheld unit. Many of the cheaper units are sold in pairs so there is a chance that someone will have one to loan you. Range may be limited, but with a small group that probably won't be a huge issue.

If you are interested and can afford the money, try to make it out!

torqd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, Oregon, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
f.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUS
@SCS
With just under two days notice it might be a rush for me to get ready for an overnight, but very interested.

I have most of the equipment requested, but quality Jerry cans are impossible to obtain right now (been looking already). If we keep the miles around 150, maximum, I should have more than enough starting with a full tank to start, but not having reserves to call my own....

After I review a map of the roads on the accompanying link I can confirm my ability (or not) for a joining with a mostly stock rig.

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

Also, I agree about the fuel. It should not be an issue for this trip I just want folks to think it over. I'll have 5 gallons is we need it so should be no problem.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Sounds like a great trip, wish I could go. Too short of notice, my weekend is already booked.
I won’t even get back from San Jose till Friday. My wife would kill me.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That’s a great drive done it a couple times , it was a bit slow going in a stock forester But still a fun day out on the trail . Can’t make it though I work weekends .... damm adulting ruining all my fun

Reactions: SCS

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Would love to join but I don’t have a radio or license, maybe next time!
GMRS 15 can be accessed via the cheap Walmart 22 Chanel FRS radios... and actually works quite well... not the best, but good enough that when on the road I have done this method in the past.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
GMRS 15 can be accessed via the cheap Walmart 22 Chanel FRS radios... and actually works quite well... not the best, but good enough that when on the road I have done this method in the past.
Note that GMRS 15 is also a repeater output channel. @SCS you might remember the confusion as we changed to channel 7 after receiving an on-air reminder about that on top of Bethel Ridge a few weeks ago.

Other than that, wish I could go... hope to be able to steal the tracks for when I can get out!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Wish I could go, but for a multitude of reasons I can't (work being the main one). But please, keep sending me invites for trips like this - sometimes I'm like "Oh heck yeah; I'm doing this one".

Reactions: mtn and SCS

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

@M Rose, no one responded that they could go and I was not sure I'd be at the meeting place at noon is I thought I'd better cancel just in case someone tried to meet up with me that didn't RSVP. It was my first rally point. Is there a better way to do it?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose, no one responded that they could go and I was not sure I'd be at the meeting place at noon is I thought I'd better cancel just in case someone tried to meet up with me that didn't RSVP. It was my first rally point. Is there a better way to do it?
No, you did it the correct way, I was just curious why it was canceled... I was thinking of hitting the road this weekend to get out of the hustle... but since it’s cancelled I’m staying local... got invited to a radio contest anyways.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for invite, sorry to see the run is cancelled! Been super busy with those non-OB related things in my life :) Keep me in mind for future trips!