Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
On another thread we got to talking about water bags instead of water jugs. I use both in my kit. I have several 6- or 7-gallon blue plastic jugs with the reversible spout. A lot of people use those. They crack easily, the lids crack if you look at them wrong, the breather hole lids get lost easily. The corners eventually wear down. I have used a lot of duck tape on a c

I'm more interested in the water bags I have.

I have a red 6-L and a 4-L MSR Dromedary bag. I've had these bags for about 10 years and have taken them on every kind of overlanding trip imaginable. I've hiked them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I've filled and frozen them to keep a cooler cold while on a weeklong geology field campaign in the middle of Capitol Reef National Park and through the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument. I've strapped them to my back to hike over Imogene Pass. I've tossed them in the back of the truck as "just in case" extra water for a few weeks (and then used that water). I've taken them woodcutting and thrown them on top of large rounds of wood and thrown a large round of wood on top of them (once, while cringing when I realized what I'd done, but the bag was only partially filled so it flexed instead of broke).

They have scuff marks and have very clearly been used. They have water stains. The 6L still has its grommet! They still hold water as well as they did on the day I bought them.

I've read that some people find the taste of the water stored in these bags to be foul. I don't remember that it was terribly foul when I started using these more than ten years ago, but I'm still using them so I don't think it was foul enough to make me want to get rid of or stop using them. Tastes fine to me.

They're the only bladders that I've used that haven't sprung a leak. Most (camelbak, etc.) fail after six to twelve months. These MSRs have lasted me 10+ years. I'd buy more but I really don't have a need for another since these are still going strong.

(Pictures of just the 6L because that's what's handy.)

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I have 3 dromedary bags. A 10L, 6L and 4L. The 10L I’ve had for almost 23 years and it’s the thick Black type. The 10L also has a shower kit which isn’t the greatest but it’s better then nothing. The 6L and 4L bags are a bit newer and lighter. I still take the 10L with me on my overland trips just in case I need the extra water.

The thing I like about these MSR dromedary bags.
1. Water still tastes good after all these years
2. Tough as hell, Dropped my full 10L bag 4 feet on rocks and the bag didn’t burst ( that’s all most 20lbs of water)
3. The 10L bag is black to Absorb heat from the sun (great for showers.
4. Grommet and hanging strap built in.

I do like the older styler, I never tried the new style so I can’t give any reviews on those.

Old Style that I have and no longer available.
IMG_4505.JPG

Newer Model
IMG_4504.JPG

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I have 2 and they have served me well, for years. I find the water to also have a lass palatable taste than a traditional jug or Nalgene bottle. Beyond that, they have far exceeded my long term expectations.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have three- 2 10L and 1 6L. They work really well in my Jeep. When traveling they store easily behind the seat and when in use I wrap a bungee strap around my roof rack and hang one from the grommets. The space saving for me is fantastic! I was using water bricks before by they were heavy and awkward to get in and out. I am having issues posting a pic of my in use set up but when I am able, I will get one up

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
I have a 10L that I've had an untold number of years....l5+ I'd guess. Still no leaks. I don't notice a taste difference. I have several jugs that I carry water in for Overlanding, but the ability to hang these off the rack makes this the most used in my system.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Mine always had a chlorine tablet in it anyways.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
On another thread we got to talking about water bags instead of water jugs. I use both in my kit. I have several 6- or 7-gallon blue plastic jugs with the reversible spout. A lot of people use those. They crack easily, the lids crack if you look at them wrong, the breather hole lids get lost easily. The corners eventually wear down. I have used a lot of duck tape on a c

I'm more interested in the water bags I have.

I have a red 6-L and a 4-L MSR Dromedary bag. I've had these bags for about 10 years and have taken them on every kind of overlanding trip imaginable. I've hiked them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I've filled and frozen them to keep a cooler cold while on a weeklong geology field campaign in the middle of Capitol Reef National Park and through the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument. I've strapped them to my back to hike over Imogene Pass. I've tossed them in the back of the truck as "just in case" extra water for a few weeks (and then used that water). I've taken them woodcutting and thrown them on top of large rounds of wood and thrown a large round of wood on top of them (once, while cringing when I realized what I'd done, but the bag was only partially filled so it flexed instead of broke).

They have scuff marks and have very clearly been used. They have water stains. The 6L still has its grommet! They still hold water as well as they did on the day I bought them.

I've read that some people find the taste of the water stored in these bags to be foul. I don't remember that it was terribly foul when I started using these more than ten years ago, but I'm still using them so I don't think it was foul enough to make me want to get rid of or stop using them. Tastes fine to me.

They're the only bladders that I've used that haven't sprung a leak. Most (camelbak, etc.) fail after six to twelve months. These MSRs have lasted me 10+ years. I'd buy more but I really don't have a need for another since these are still going strong.

(Pictures of just the 6L because that's what's handy.)

View attachment 107395View attachment 107394
These things are great! They are something I've looked at in my bike packing years to carry more water than what a Camelbak can hold and when I can't carry more bottles. I have honestly thought about them for Overlanding since they collapse down and since they can fit easily in a cooler. Now that I know they also work as an ice pack, I'm sold.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Everyone seems to really like these, so I just got a 10 liter one at Rei with the 20% off coupon. Haven’t used it yet, but I’m eager to try it out.

Reactions: RedClay

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I have a red 6L that is 10yrs old and a black 10L that is way old also....always the first thing out of the rig to wash off dust and last thing in the rig to wash hands before driving.
Even a quick lunch stop has me hanging one, just put a bit of paracord and a carabiner on them and easy to hang.