Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The wife and I just returned (and are still recovering) from our trip Moose River Plains in way up upstate NY (aka Canadia). I plan to put a little summary of our trip and of MRP. If you can go this week do yourself the favor and GO!. This was hands down the most scenic and perhaps the BEST TRIP yet. We were really blessed to be there at peak time for foliage. We brought out a friend of ours on this trip and it was his first time doing anything like this, he is now truck shopping.

Consider yourself warned, this may be a picture heavy thread, enjoy!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Such an incredibly scenic place

We got a decent amount of rain on day 2 but it didn’t stop us or the fire

More of this to come!

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Just more of the seemingly endless beauty of the area. The camera can only capture so much though…

We scoped out 85 spots and camped at 2 of them. There are so many amazing sites but waking up with the view of the stream at the first site… incredible

The shot and the setup lol
There is a decent amounting trails to explore with a 4WD but definitely bring a friend! Exploring solo here is NOT a good idea.

Attachments

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
MRP is pretty remote, hard to believe it is in NY.
There is ZERO cell phone coverage in the area. I asked the lady at the gas station in Inlet about cell coverage and she laughed and let me use the gas station wifi.

I wouldn’t count on the area ham radio repeaters. MRP is surrounded by some pretty tall mountains (some of the ADK 46ers) but I was able to receive NOAA weather radio.

I’m not sure if you can see in these night time pictures but the view of the stars is UNREAL. It’s been so long since I could see so many stars in the sky.

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
All good things must come to an end, but as we were cleaning and packing up on the last day our friend took a picture of camp. It’s probably not the prettiest picture in this thread but there’s a lot of great stuff going on in here… possibly including the empty “dummy tent” our friend used to trick any bears that were coming to eat him in the middle of the night while he slept inside the truck lol

Which reminds me, MRP is BEAR COUNTRY
Also that Ozark Trail tent is amazing for $30. I’ve seen other OB members are using it too. Works great in the rain and was twice as fast to set up/break down compared to our RTT. It is in my opinion the perfect tent for someone just starting to get into camping/overlanding

We didn’t get to explore this network of trails that led to (or from?) our camp site. Looks like a good days worth of driving around there. Most of the pictures with the trucks were taken on the trail on the other side of our camp site

We took a trip to the top of Whiteface Mountain. It took up essentially the entire day and we got back into camp in the dark (again) but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT

Just a picture of me looking for and looking forward to our next adventure

Attachments