First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I seem to be on a roll today...

Planning next years photo outings - One area I really like to revisit is Monument Valley. All the times I was there, I either stayed on the "tourist loop," or paid for a 'photo guide' to take me beyond said tourist loop on a special "photo tour," or even overnight (with catered meals...) to 'secret spots.'

I was wondering if anybody knew if it'd be possible to get a permit to drive oneself around the area, off the tourist loop, camp etc. and take photos w/o a Navajo guide? I know of one photog friend of mine who apparently was lucky enough to meet somebody who lived on the land and who gave him permission to drive around and overnight camp - but he did get in trouble, and in the end had to pay a fee (a rather hefty one to boot), because apparently the resident did not have the authority to allow him to roam and stay there - I really would like to avoid that :)...

So, does anybody know about any permits available from the Navaho Nation that would allow me to drive around the broader Monument Valley area with Ruby, and camp overnight?

Reactions: SgtMac

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

I came here looking for the same answer. Did you find anything out? I found an permit application on the Navajo Nation website, but I feel like it's an empty formality like applying for a need based concealed carry permit in New York City, or something.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Funny my wife and I were just talking about this very subject 30 minutes ago. Also would love to know if anyone has any info. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post it to the public.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I'll be 5th with the same question. Monument Valley is part of our trip after Expo West and I was kinda bummed that you can only take guided tours. Not my thing if I can avoid it.