Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
If you're coming from Napa or points east, a good spot to meet would be the Pomo Pumps on Hwy 20, near Upper Lake. This also assumes we're going into Snow Mountain or Mendo NF.

I'm hoping that by the time this weekend comes we can nail down more details. I'm thinking either a day-trip for some, or camp somewhere that night for others. I'll probably camp.

Let's do this!

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
If you're coming from Napa or points east, a good spot to meet would be the Pomo Pumps on Hwy 20, near Upper Lake. This also assumes we're going into Snow Mountain or Mendo NF.

I'm hoping that by the time this weekend comes we can nail down more details. I'm thinking either a day-trip for some, or camp somewhere that night for others. I'll probably camp.

Let's do this!
Cool! I just got back from a week out so I’m interested but can’t commit just yet. Heading up into Mendo NF on part of that BDR/BDT could be cool too.

Last edited:

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
If you're not sure what we mean by BDC - Overland the Mendocino Backcountry | Guide, Map, GPX

Seems doable by most vehicles. I'm down to try it in 2 days. Given we have relatively long days by the end of May.

Route Overview
Adventure Rating: Epic
Trip Length: 2-3 days, 167 miles
Season: April - November (depends on snowpack on Hull Mountain)
Avg Trail Rating: 2
Peak Trail Rating: 3
Typical Terrain: Primarily wide dirt and gravel roads. There is mild technical section consisting of rocks and off-camber trail the final 2-3 miles up Hull Mountain.
Recommended Vehicle: Subaru with all terrain tires.
Adventure Vans: Short wheel base vans with low roofs and all terrain tires should be able to manage the entire route, including the climb up and over Hull Mountain. Due to the off-camber nature near the summit of Hull Mountain-- you have a 144" Sprinter with a high roof, we recommend using the "Sprinter Van reroute" (see the Google map below).

The Mendocino National Forest is the only national forest in California that isn't crossed by paved road. Despite the fact that there aren't many paved roads in the forest, there's an overabundance of well kept dirt roads and trails, which will delight travelers who like to stray from the main thoroughfares.

This particular route is largely based on the California Backcountry Discovery that is featured on the official Mendocino National Forest map. The Mendocino BDT runs the entire length of M1 from CC Camp (Middle Creek Camp) to the north where it spits out at the confluence of the middle fork Eel and Black Butte Rivers (just east of Covelo). We've taken the liberty of extending the official BDT from its original termination point at the Eel River to include an additional loop through some of the forest's most scenic and remote areas along the northern boundary of the Mendocino National Forest.

If you're just getting into overlanding and offroad travel, with mostly wide dirt and gravel roads, the Mendocino BDT is a great place to start. The route begins in the historic downtown of Upper Lake, before heading into the forest. As you make your way to the forest and up Elk Mountain, you'll notice many of the surrounding mountains and hills have succumbed to wildfire. The Mendocino Complex, the largest fire in California history ravaged large swaths of the forest along the southern boundary. The stretch of road from Upper Lake to Lakes Pillsbury is probably the most well travelled in the forest. While Lake Pillsbury is a great place to relax and cool down from the sweltering mid-summer heat, you can expect crowds, especially in the developed campgrounds that dot the lake. But don't let that scare you away, as Lake Pillsbury is a great place to watch the sunset, take a cooling dip, or view a variety of birdlife, including raptors, eagles, and osprey.

As you leave Lake Pillsbury, you'll make your way up Hull Mountain (elev. 6873)), which dominates the valley below. Hull Mountain rewards the steadfast traveller with numerous views of the surrounding coastal mountains as you make your way towards the summit. The wide dirt road gives way to a very mild technical section of rocks the last few miles up the summit. At the summit you'll find the remains of the old Hull Mountain fire lookout, along with spectacular 360 degree views.

The crowds will thin out dramatically as you make your way north from Hull Mountain. The roads will tame and widen, and the alpine landscape will eventually give way to rollings hills of golden grass dotted with oak trees and chaparral. There are a number of unique geographic areas and points of interest that you'll pass by as you continue on the route. Check out the lunar scape (moon dust on the Google map) just north of Hull Mountain, or one of several historical homesteads along the path. Eventually you'll find yourself passing the Black Butte River Ranch, which is a great place to grab a bite or have a cold beer on their patio.

You've made it to the confluence of the Black Butte and Eel Rivers. The Eel provides for some deeper swimming holes, and unlike the the rivers that run through the Sierra, both the Eel and Black Butte are relatively mild in temperature during the warmer months (often low 70s). The BDT makes a final loop around the base of Hammerhorn Mountain before heading to the summit of Anthony Peak, the highest point in Mendocino County. Anthony Peak is the only remaining staffed fire lookout in the Mendocino NF, and if you're lucky, you might just get invited inside! On a clear day you can see Mt Lassen to the east, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Anthony Peak (elev. 6959) also a favorite location of stargazers, especially when meteor showers occur. The route concludes with a visit to the historic homestead of the family, which includes a maintained cabin the remains of the old apple orchards that the Keller's planted and kept.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I haven’t met the North Bay group yet either but did a few things with East Bay! So I’m hoping that weekend will work out for my schedule.
But any more thinking on the “where”?
I’m thinking of an overnighter. Go along the BDR like you suggested. Other than the road to Pillsbury, I haven’t gone further north than that.

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

This looks and sounds awesome! I haven't met anyone from NorCal since we moved from San Diego. I would love to check this out and meet a few of you. We are new (since November 2021) to Santa Rosa.
Come on out! Where in SD? I used to live in Mira Mesa.
That is awesome! I lived in Alpine, Bonsall, and finally Temecula. I would love to meet up with you and an overnight trip is sounding pretty good right about now!

Reactions: Speric

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
Yes I'm guessing Hull and other peaks received some! According to the other page with with BDT, from Upper Lake all the way through following their trail, out to Covelo is 167 miles. That's a pretty healthy drive. The roads/trails must be pretty fast fire roads I'm guessing.

Reactions: Vince Rothermund

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

I love how detailed the description of the trail is on the link that was sent out. That is impressive.

I could totally do Friday evening through Sunday if that works for people. Seems like we might be really pushing it to get through the 160+ miles in two days.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I love how detailed the description of the trail is on the link that was sent out. That is impressive.

I could totally do Friday evening through Sunday if that works for people. Seems like we might be really pushing it to get through the 160+ miles in two days.
I work till at least noon on Fridays, but leaving Friday might still work.

There is also going straight to Pillsbury from Potter Valley which will cut off some drive time. Follows the Eel River, so should still be a nice drive.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
It looks like we're the only 3 going so far. If I can swing going friday evening/afternoon. How does that work for you guys?

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
I’m hoping to get my brother and his 3rd gen to come and join. But realistically wanted to get my two boys with me and play with our new to us RTT which means a Saturday morning meet-up for me personally. If you guys are gung-ho for Friday don’t change on our account!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I’m hoping to get my brother and his 3rd gen to come and join. But realistically wanted to get my two boys with me and play with our new to us RTT which means a Saturday morning meet-up for me personally. If you guys are gung-ho for Friday don’t change on our account!
That’s fine too. We’ll keep it open for now and see if there might be others. I want to be as inclusive as possible.

Reactions: FirenzeForza4x4

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

It looks like we're the only 3 going so far. If I can swing going friday evening/afternoon. How does that work for you guys?
Friday evening works great for me. I have a buddy that might be flying up from SoCal to ride copilot with me. He would be flying in Friday morning and leaving late Friday evening from Sonoma.

I am totally looking forward to getting out there with you!