Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

We got back at about 9:30, Washington time and were only able to attend two days. My family had the best time exploring, with Mike Dubya's family, co-workers and Tacos. This was a great group with really good synergy. Mike knows Montana really well and can tell you a lot of fun history that you will never read in any history book! We had the opportunity to see so much of Montana that we had never seen before! I feel that in only two days, we learned so much about a state that I had never spent enough time in. Montana has it's own culture, for sure! The people that we met were kind, polite, provided great stories and were always interesting. Montana is worth the time to visit and explore. We will be back! There are sooo many trails and out of the way places to explore that I can't imagine not going back. My only caveat is that I will avoid I90, from Alberton to Mullan, unless traveling by motorcycle. Next time, I will drive south to Lewiston and pick up Highway 12 East.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Dubya

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
We got back at about 9:30, Washington time and were only able to attend two days. My family had the best time exploring, with Mike Dubya's family, co-workers and Tacos. This was a great group with really good synergy. Mike knows Montana really well and can tell you a lot of fun history that you will never read in any history book! We had the opportunity to see so much of Montana that we had never seen before! I feel that in only two days, we learned so much about a state that I had never spent enough time in. Montana has it's own culture, for sure! The people that we met were kind, polite, provided great stories and were always interesting. Montana is worth the time to visit and explore. We will be back! There are sooo many trails and out of the way places to explore that I can't imagine not going back. My only caveat is that I will avoid I90, from Alberton to Mullan, unless traveling by motorcycle. Next time, I will drive south to Lewiston and pick up Highway 12 East.
It was a really fun trip! The group was a lot of fun and I expect we will have to do another trip soon! Highway 12 is beautiful and with lots of hidden treasures (Lochsa Lodge, Weir Creek Hot Springs) to visit- but if you are looking to avoid the twisties from Alberton to Mullan, Highway 12 might not be your route. The Montana sport bike clubs love to run it because of all the tight sequential turns.
We managed to hit all the ghost towns on the route, I'll post some pictures tonight. :)

Reactions: Captain Chaos

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
Hey! What an incredible video. thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I haven't been through most of those ghost towns in 20-30 years and boy they sure have gotten "touristy" over the years. Still a wonderful place to bring the kids. Did you know that when the silver prices fell Granite essentially emptied of people overnight? The hotel there was still up until the mid-80's when a couple drunks accidently burnt it down.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Hey! What an incredible video. thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I haven't been through most of those ghost towns in 20-30 years and boy they sure have gotten "touristy" over the years. Still a wonderful place to bring the kids. Did you know that when the silver prices fell Granite essentially emptied of people overnight? The hotel there was still up until the mid-80's when a couple drunks accidently burnt it down.
It would have been great to have a geologist along!, I think you had another engagement though. As a kid, we camped IN these ghost towns, before the barriers and staffing went up in the 90's!

Reactions: M Rose